Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Fiddle or concertina lessons required

Options
  • 28-09-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Does anybody know where i can do beginners concertina classes in the evening (can be group or individual) and/or one to one fiddle lessons- played it for the bones of 14years let it go in my late teens (silly me) so im rusty but eager to get back into it.
    Im living in dublin 6 anywhere local-ish would be super.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Smudge_pot

Hi, I've been playing concertina for six years and I've taught one-on-one lessons before. Unless Maynooth is too far for you to come out (half an hour on the train) I'd be happy to give you lessons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Wednesday night 8pm Comhaltas Monkstown Slow slow sets for all. About 20 to 25 players most nights. All abilities welcome and there's a bar as well.

We usually concentrate on a few sets at a time for the first hour and then play whatever we all know. The 'pros' come in around 9.30pm and session ends around 11.

PM me if you want the set list.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭0141607

trad wrote: »
    Wednesday night 8pm Comhaltas Monkstown Slow slow sets for all. About 20 to 25 players most nights. All abilities welcome and there's a bar as well.

We usually concentrate on a few sets at a time for the first hour and then play whatever we all know. The 'pros' come in around 9.30pm and session ends around 11.

PM me if you want the set list.

Thanks trad..but i dont even know the keys on the concertina so would be a bit out of my depth. i know comhaltas well played there when i was younger (fiddle) am a bit out of practice though having been concentrating on other things in recent years. would prefer one to ones to start with before diving into sessions. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭0141607

Smudge_pot wrote: »
    Hi, I've been playing concertina for six years and I've taught one-on-one lessons before. Unless Maynooth is too far for you to come out (half an hour on the train) I'd be happy to give you lessons!

thanks for the offer, but would prefer lessons in dublin im living on southside would be a 2hour round trip to maynooth minimum

If you want I can sus out lessons for you, what instruments and what nights suit you.

Alternatively you can go on the Comhaltas site www.comhaltas.com and use the branch locator and see if there is a branch that suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EimearCritchley

hey there, im interested in one to one concertina lessons myself, used to play in school & would like to get back into it after a good few years break,... can anyone help?

The handiest thing to do is go on the comhaltas site and see if there is a branch of comhaltas near you. The lessons tend to be very reasonable in cost but you might find yourself in a class with some gifted 10 year old that will make you cry. If you are in Dublin and want private lessons I'll ask around but you'll probably have more craic at a branch class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 castlesb

Hi there,

I've been playing concertina for 23 years(started when I was 10) and have taught in the past. I'm currently trying to settle back in Ireland after some years travelling and am hoping to teach. If we keep in contact maybe we could figure something out. I live in Meath now but I hope to be based in Dublin. At the moment I'm up and down to Dublin a lot so could maybe arrange a trial lesson in your own home to see if you like it etc.

Brenda
    castlesb@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EimearCritchley

That would be brilliant :) Ive just located the concertina & am a bit rusty but remember most of the important notes anyway ;)
    What evenings would you be free?

Advertisement