Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

springer spaniel or cocker spaniel

Options
  • 28-09-2009 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Does anyone know where you can get a Springer Spaniel or a Cocker Spaniel. I an in the kildare area

thanks
    aisling :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Check out your local shelters, or as you're only in Kildare, DSPCA may have some. (we have a rehoming thread in the Welfare sub forum, not sure if there's any at the moment)
    Other than that you could ring the IKC if you wish to find a breeder, or check out some sites online (always be vigilant in such cases)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Springers come up a good bit in rescue worth checking them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

If you are going the rescue route then Springer spaniels are always coming up in rescues and pounds. there was one rehomed just the other day from Ashton. Keep an eye on the sites or even contact the rescues and they might give you a shout if one comes up. there is actually a springer in the tralee pound at the moment. http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/environment/dogpound/dogsforre-homing/ I know its a bit far away but you could make it a bit of a holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Dogs in Distress take dogs from Ashton pound all the time, they get in a quite a few spaniel types, check out their website - www.dogsindistress.org - and there could be one you like. Also, check out IrishAnimals, they have lists of rescue animals available at any given time - www.irishanimals.ie. Good luck on your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

ashisback wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can get a Springer Spaniel or a Cocker Spaniel. I an in the kildare area

thanks
    aisling :)

I bought my Cocker from a breeder in Meath. I also have a family member in Cavan who will have Springers ready to go in about six weeks so I sent you a pm.

One of the lads on here bought two cockers from a breeder in Kildare. Read old threads on cockers and you'll see their name and can pm them. I can't remember what user it was.

You could also contact either of the Cocker clubs. Their details are on ikc.ie and there are Springer clubs there too.

Just providing an alternative as not everyone wants to go by the rehoming route folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

As the ad says - saw this and thought of you. Ok so maybe Kerry is too far away but this wee girl is in dundalk pound and if not reclaimed will need help.....
    http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=72781&pid=568799&st=0&#entry568799

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

to the OP, please consider which breed you want carefully.

Springers and Cockers both hate to be left alone, and A working Springer needs a fair bit of exercise.

My wife and I have two working Springers, and I can honestly say they could run a marathon in the morning, nap and then run another before dinner. I've seen then tired, once. After a five hour session where they spent three hours swimming.

They're great dogs but need alot of care and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Diogenes wrote: »
    Springers and Cockers both hate to be left alone, and A working Springer needs a fair bit of exercise.

I couldn't agree more with what you said.

This also applies to working Cockers, and Springers in general! We have had Springers and currently have a working Cocker - they both need a massive amount of exercise, not to mention mental stimultion. And they eat a lot more then is usually expected, they just burn it all off so fast.

I agree with not leaving them alone for long peroids of time - the distruction induced by being bored can be expensive (an example, my Cocker got bored in the garden (he is usually an indoor dog) and went to work on the concrete holding up the fence - I can only imagine what he would do if he got it into his head to have a chew on our dry wall in the house!), not forgetting the distress on the dog. Cockers, in particular, are not the best with children and can be nippy (I foster for an animal rescue and I have had a few through my door) and Springers can be too over the top for kids (jumping, over-excited) if not dealt with properly. And the hair - be prepared for hair in the house and brushing because when they shed, they really shed!

I hope you have done your breed research because Spaniels are a lot of work, but so loving and they give what you put into them ten fold. Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gonzo08

Lemlin wrote: »
    I bought my Cocker from a breeder in Meath. I also have a family member in Cavan who will have Springers ready to go in about six weeks so I sent you a pm.

One of the lads on here bought two cockers from a breeder in Kildare. Read old threads on cockers and you'll see their name and can pm them. I can't remember what user it was.

You could also contact either of the Cocker clubs. Their details are on ikc.ie and there are Springer clubs there too.

Just providing an alternative as not everyone wants to go by the rehoming route folks.

Just wondering Lemlin if your family member has any of the springers left. Im looking for one at the min myself. Would love a male liver/white in colour.If you could let me know id apriciate it.

Advertisement