Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley bankrolled by hedge fund boss?

Options
  • 28-09-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Ganley's backer revealed

DECLAN Ganley's 'No to Lisbon Campaign' has been bankrolled by a secretive British hedge fund boss that made hundreds of millions of euros "short selling" Irish banks last year.

Regulatory filings reveal that the wealthy investor, Crispin Odey, donated almost €3,500 to "Pro-Democracy: Libertas.eu" on May 28. The Mayfair-based hedge fund boss also donated nearly €15,000 worth of services to the organisation. Libertas is also backed by other London financiers.
    Odey, who received a near €35m bonus last year, was one of the leading short sellers of Anglo Irish Bank, before the bank imploded.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ganleys-backer-revealed-1897865.html

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

mannew23 wrote: »
    Thoughts?

my casefile against Ganley (soon to be my neighbor :( in Abbeyknockmoy ) grows so ...

we have:

* shady connections to US military

* tax evasion

* connections with euro skeptics on current anti Lisbon campaign here and here

* proposing a United States of Europe

the plot thickens....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

More ammunition to throw back at the "vote no because of the govt., bankers, developers" brigade. Follow the money trail... and look who profitted ;) Of course Crispin Odey doesn't appreciate Charlie McCreevy's work into regulating the hedge fund industry, because then he may not be able to award himself a €35 million paypacket. The one thing that struck me is that following on from Ganley's dismissal of Irish politicians as over-paid elites... hmmm, but somebody paying himself €35mill obviously knows what he's talking about right Dec? I would like to see the origins of the money in Odey's fund..... I have a funny feeling some familiar names may pop up..

On a similar note, anyone see Ganley on the RTE 6.01 news? Thought Bryan Dobson really stuck it to him, best person I have seen talking to Ganley yet. He kept trying to weasel his way out of a tight spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

prinz wrote: »
    Follow the money trail... and look who profitted ;)

Hillarious comment to make, are we talking about the Galway races here or Declan Ganley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

The Yes campaign were effing and blinding last time about Ganley and where his money was coming from. Wheres the money coming from for the Yes campaign this time? How much have they spent? Sorry, wouldn't touch the link from the Indo as I wouldn't wipe my arse with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Ganley's backer revealed

DECLAN Ganley's 'No to Lisbon Campaign' has been bankrolled by a secretive British hedge fund boss that made hundreds of millions of euros "short selling" Irish banks last year.

Regulatory filings reveal that the wealthy investor, Crispin Odey, donated almost €3,500 to "Pro-Democracy: Libertas.eu" on May 28. The Mayfair-based hedge fund boss also donated nearly €15,000 worth of services to the organisation. Libertas is also backed by other London financiers.
    Odey, who received a near €35m bonus last year, was one of the leading short sellers of Anglo Irish Bank, before the bank imploded.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ganleys-backer-revealed-1897865.html

Thoughts?

wow... 18k, hardly bankrolling him now is it, talk about overcookin the roast....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Let me see now:

Declan Ganley:
    His movement got a paltry 15,000 donation from some hedge fund.
    some other minor issues.

Fianna Fail:
    The most incompetent government in the western world, led by:
    Brian Cowen - wrecked the economy as minister for finance, made things worse as taoiseach. Out of touch with reality, transfixed by the huge problem he has made and seemingly unable to take any action. Huge denial problem.
    Mary Coughlan - Brians friend but so incompetent she actually makes Cowen look good.
    Brian Lenihan - At the time of the greatest crisis since the foundation of the state he started his apprenticeship in the Dept. of Finance. OMG!
    Former stars:
    Bertie Ahern - resigned in disgrace, took money from business friends.
    Ray Burke - jailed for tax offences
    Liam Lawlor - jailed for obstructing Tribunal
    A government that has consistently looked after it's friends in business at the taxpayers expense. A government that has consistently misled the public.

Hmmmm, think I trust Ganley more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

squod wrote: »
    Hillarious comment to make, are we talking about the Galway races here or Declan Ganley?

So you think an English profiteer who made so much money out of the collapse of Irish banks that he could pay himself €35,000,000 has a better interest in Ireland than FF? I wonder who owned the money he was investing, I bet that would make interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wicklowlad

The people promoting the yes vote last time submitted details of all funding and receipts and remember its was ganley who only recently submitted his and also remember we still have not had the report from the committee that deals with donations.

No doubt after paying the Dutch their €300k+ Libertas just might lets us know where that money came from ??. Maybe it came from the same place where he stuffed the US flag when he was about to be interviewed!!

jpfahy wrote: »
    Let me see now:

Declan Ganley:
    some other minor issues.

Fianna Fail:
    Brian Cowen - wrecked the economy as minister for finance, made things worse as taoiseach. Out of touch with reality, transfixed by the huge problem he has made and seemingly unable to take any action. Huge denial problem.
    Mary Coughlan - Brians friend but so incompetent she actually makes Cowen look good.
    Brian Lenihan - At the time of the greatest crisis since the foundation of the state he started his apprenticeship in the Dept. of Finance. OMG!
    Former stars:
    A government that has consistently looked after it's friends in business at the taxpayers expense. A government that has consistently misled the public.

Ah are you forgetting the millions ganley spent last time?? We are still waiting for details about the source of his funds. Companies hiding behind other companies followed by strange activites in eastern europe followed by etc etc. Note his reply this evening ' he did not get money from the hedge guy for THIS referendum. I assume you noticed the THIS!!! Another slight of hand!!

CCCP^ wrote: »
    The Yes campaign were effing and blinding last time about Ganley and where his money was coming from. Wheres the money coming from for the Yes campaign this time? How much have they spent? Sorry, wouldn't touch the link from the Indo as I wouldn't wipe my arse with it.

You conveniently forgot that ganley did not clarify where the funding came from for the first vote unlike other people - no doubt he won't be in a hurry this time. You should also have a look at the posters displayed in Dublin from the no campaign and unless you are really bias you will see that its about equal which raises the point where does coir etc get the funds from. I assume S/Fein got theirs in the north!!.

• Advertisement

wicklowlad wrote: »
    You conveniently forgot that ganley did not clarify where the funding came from for the first vote unlike other people - no doubt he won't be in a hurry this time. You should also have a look at the posters displayed in Dublin from the no campaign and unless you are really bias you will see that its about equal which raises the point where does coir etc get the funds from. I assume S/Fein got theirs in the north!!.

Did FF once again get theirs from the same shoddy bankers and developers that got us into this mess???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

wicklowlad wrote: »

I don't know where you are, but the entire area where I am is covered in hundreds of Yes campaign posters and placards. I did not conviniently forget about Ganleys background, to be honest I wouldn't trust Ganley as far as I'd trust any of the other Yes men clowns, but atleast he calls the Yes side out on their bull. If it wasn't for Ganley or Sinn Fein, there would be no alternative in this campaign, because lets face it, the Irish media is just going to go along with whatever the big parties will say, and the main parties are actually no different from each other at all, there is no political alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Regulatory filings reveal that the wealthy investor, Crispin Odey, donated almost €3,500 to "Pro-Democracy: Libertas.eu" on May 28. The Mayfair-based hedge fund boss also donated nearly €15,000 worth of services to the organisation.
    Thoughts?
    Yeah...€3,500? €15,000? Are you sure you're talking about Declan Ganley and not Dr.Evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    Did FF once again get theirs from the same shoddy bankers and developers that got us into this mess???

You should look it up since they don't hide where it comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scaredoflisbon

let the mud slinging begin! was'nt expecting the first shot from our esteemed government though..surprise ! but anything can happen when you press the panic button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TheAuditor

Guys, you're missing the whole story. This money was donated to Libertas UK for use in the European Elections - in the UK. It isn't being used for the Lisbon II campaign but it suits the Yes side to insinuate that it is. And who better to kick than a hedge fund manager who has profited from short-selling Irish banks? However, it is a fact that short selling of Irish banks has been prohibited since the end of 2008, around the time the guarantee came in. So, a no vote for Lisbon won't help people who are short the banks because you can't short them.

Furthermore,
    Originally Posted by SIPO
    Section 23(A)(2) of the Act provides that a third party may not accept a “foreign donation”. A foreign donation is a donation from an individual (other than an Irish citizen) who resides outside the island of Ireland or a donation from a body corporate or unincorporated body of persons which does not keep an office in the island of Ireland from which one or more of its principal activities is directed. If a foreign donation is received the third party must return the donation to the donor and keep a record of its return or remit the donation to the Standards Commission.It is an offence for the responsible person of a third party to fail to take the appropriate action in relation to a prohibited donation.

What I'm saying is that these claims being leveled against him do not stand up to any objective analysis of the facts. There are plenty of other things about Ganley and Libertas that are worthy of scrutiny. But this latest, ahem, "revelation" is a red herring, plain and simple.

And as a final point - isn't it a bit rich for a Fianna Failer to query the bona fides of any other party's donors?

meglome wrote: »
    You should look it up since they don't hide where it comes from.

Well arent they special, maybe they should get a prize.....

Yeah...€3,500? €15,000? Are you sure you're talking about Declan Ganley and not Dr.Evil?

Personally I've nothing against Declan Ganley, I don't know the man. However I don't need to know him to see that his background and dealings are very iffy. I don't need to know him to see he doesn't mind telling a porkie or three. If he was fully behind a Yes vote I'd still think he was iffy and wouldn't want anything to do with him. Some of the No campaigners really need to look at who they associate with.
    Well arent they special, maybe they should get a prize.....

I'd love a prize. Not sure what that would have to do with the Lisbon treaty though. Just like a lot of the other threads that have been started today.

I'd love a prize.

Are you admitting membership of FF???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

prinz wrote: »
    So you think an English profiteer who made so much money out of the collapse of Irish banks that he could pay himself €35,000,000 has a better interest in Ireland than FF? I wonder who owned the money he was investing, I bet that would make interesting reading.

Anyone who helped bring down a corrupt bank like Anglo Irish, deserves to be thanked.
    The only good thing to come out of this recession is that it has exposed our corrupt politians and gangster bankers.

• Advertisement

Are you admitting membership of FF???

Contrary to the bull that the No side make up most of us Yes supporters are also anti-Fianna Fail. It's really really simple to see the difference between an EU treaty and Fianna Fail, you can do it too I'm sure.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I don't know where you are, but the entire area where I am is covered in hundreds of Yes campaign posters and placards. I did not conviniently forget about Ganleys background, to be honest I wouldn't trust Ganley as far as I'd trust any of the other Yes men clowns, but atleast he calls the Yes side out on their bull. If it wasn't for Ganley or Sinn Fein, there would be no alternative in this campaign, because lets face it, the Irish media is just going to go along with whatever the big parties will say, and the main parties are actually no different from each other at all, there is no political alternative.

Today I went by car from Blackrock through to Lutterralstown then to Marino and on to Sandyford via Tara Street and it was interesting to see the density of no posters in some area while in others it was the yeas posters. My only real concern is that the larger picture is lost with the anger with the current government. Your comments about the media does not stand up if you read the Indo & Irish Times - look at Tom Guirks article in the Sunday Business Post - very eurosceptic & Bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Personally I've nothing against Declan Ganley, I don't know the man. However I don't need to know him to see that his background and dealings are very iffy.
    Really? I'd need source on this as for the last two years there has been a whispering campaign to the media originating from the bar of Leinster House to link him to arms dealings in Eastern Europe.

jpfahy wrote: »
    Let me see now:

Declan Ganley:
    some other minor issues.

Fianna Fail:
    Former stars:

A hedge fund that helped pummel the value of our banks into the ground with short-selling. This is hardly just "some hedge fund". This man made that huge bonus short-selling banks and predicting the fall of an economy.. He could well be financing Ganley to help orchestrate a further fall. Why would a huge London investor be giving some lad from Galway money? That's what needs to be told.. I honestly believe Ganley would fuk the country under the Libertas campaign for financial gain.

Like seriously, this is the lad who's Tuam communications company has ex-homeland security and UK generals on his board. What do they talk about during these meetings?! How to help Ireland or how to help their pockets?!

Never liked Declan Ganley and this is adding to the hatred.. He's a traitor through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Like seriously, this is the lad who's Tuam communications company has ex-homeland security and UK generals on his board. What do they talk about during these meetings?! How to help Ireland or how to help their pockets?!

Never liked Declan Ganley and this is adding to the hatred.. He's a traitor through and through.

You forgot to mention the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. I seriously suspect that Ganley has orders to throw a spanner in the works of the European political system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I really dislike Declan Ganley, but €3,500 to his campaign a few months in the UK is hardly 'bank rolling his referendum campaign'. Unless it can be shown the money has subsequently been paid to him by the same source with the purpose of ensuring that their an Irish No vote, than I do not think it is much of a story.

It does however give us a further insight to the type of people Ganley associates him and offer another reason to be generally spectical of his motives.

Really? I'd need source on this as for the last two years there has been a whispering campaign to the media originating from the bar of Leinster House to link him to arms dealings in Eastern Europe.

Let's leave the smear stuff out of this for now as we can go back and forth on it. Almost everything he says isn't true or is a misrepresentation, I don't need to know his background to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

He's a traitor through and through.

The traitors are sitting in Leinster House and history will reflect that.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Can I politely suggest that people consult a dictionary for the actual meaning of the word "treason" before tossing the word "traitor" around lightly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

let the mud slinging begin! was'nt expecting the first shot from our esteemed government though..surprise ! but anything can happen when you press the panic button.

This is the first shot? With a week until the treaty, and all the lies and BS that have been peddled by the No campaigns for the last 18 months, you're saying this is the first act of mudslinging on either side? Are you insane or just blind?

Advertisement