Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley bankrolled by hedge fund boss?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Can I politely suggest that people consult a dictionary for the actual meaning of the word "treason" before tossing the word "traitor" around lightly?

'trai·tor (trāt′ər)
    noun
    a person who betrays his or her country, cause, friends, etc.; one guilty of treason or treachery

1 : one who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty
    2 : one who commits treason'

I think they all qualify via the first part of each definition above.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

jpfahy wrote: »
    'trai·tor (trāt′ər)
    noun
    a person who betrays his or her country, cause, friends, etc.; one guilty of treason or treachery

1 : one who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty
    2 : one who commits treason'

I think they all qualify via the first part of each definition above.
    From our constitution:
    treason shall consist only in levying war against the State, or assisting any State or person or inciting or conspiring with any person to levy war against the State, or attempting by force of arms or other violent means to overthrow the organs of government established by the Constitution, or taking part or being concerned in or inciting or conspiring with any person to make or to take part or be concerned in any such attempt

So no, they're not traitors. They're just corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

jpfahy wrote: »
    Let me see now:

Declan Ganley:
    His movement got a paltry 15,000 donation from some hedge fund.
    some other minor issues.

Fianna Fail:
    The most incompetent government in the western world, led by:
    Brian Cowen - wrecked the economy as minister for finance, made things worse as taoiseach. Out of touch with reality, transfixed by the huge problem he has made and seemingly unable to take any action. Huge denial problem.
    Mary Coughlan - Brians friend but so incompetent she actually makes Cowen look good.
    Brian Lenihan - At the time of the greatest crisis since the foundation of the state he started his apprenticeship in the Dept. of Finance. OMG!
    Former stars:
    Bertie Ahern - resigned in disgrace, took money from business friends.
    Ray Burke - jailed for tax offences
    Liam Lawlor - jailed for obstructing Tribunal
    A government that has consistently looked after it's friends in business at the taxpayers expense. A government that has consistently misled the public.

Hmmmm, think I trust Ganley more.
    I wouldn't trust Ganley either but didn't the electorate vote in FF time and time again. Let's face it - there's something about the Irish psyche that tolerated the.... it'll do, shure you're grand, I'm all right jack,nod and a wink, back of an envelope, hail fellow well met politics of FF.
    * I never voted FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I wouldn't trust Ganley either but didn't the electorate vote in FF time and time again. Let's face it - there's something about the Irish psyche that tolerated the.... it'll do, shure you're grand, I'm all right jack,nod and a wink, back of an envelope, hail fellow well met politics of FF.
    * I never voted FF.

well thats the thing aint it

i hate FF, you hate FF, we all hate FF

yet they got voted in, and did ok in some parts in the locals few months ago :(

Ganley on the other hand, can just be called

"an unelected elite"

;)

To the people saying they can't trust Fianna Fail either.. It's not just Fianna Fail who want Lisbon. Didn't FG say "Don't punish FF by voting No."

I have more trust in the elected TDs of Fianna Fail and Fianna Gail combined than I do in Declan Ganley. He's a fuking snake and should be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scaredoflisbon

passive wrote: »
    This is the first shot? With a week until the treaty, and all the lies and BS that have been peddled by the No campaigns for the last 18 months, you're saying this is the first act of mudslinging on either side? Are you insane or just blind?

Glad you agree with me on that, all the lies and BS peddled by the yes campaigns also for the past 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

meglome wrote: »
    Contrary to the bull that the No side make up most of us Yes supporters are also anti-Fianna Fail. It's really really simple to see the difference between an EU treaty and Fianna Fail, you can do it too I'm sure.

Its just that when i said FF should get a prize, you said you'd love one ....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

A hedge fund that helped pummel the value of our banks into the ground with short-selling. This is hardly just "some hedge fund". This man made that huge bonus short-selling banks and predicting the fall of an economy.. He could well be financing Ganley to help orchestrate a further fall. Why would a huge London investor be giving some lad from Galway money? That's what needs to be told.. I honestly believe Ganley would fuk the country under the Libertas campaign for financial gain.

Like seriously, this is the lad who's Tuam communications company has ex-homeland security and UK generals on his board. What do they talk about during these meetings?! How to help Ireland or how to help their pockets?!

Never liked Declan Ganley and this is adding to the hatred.. He's a traitor through and through.

Hedge funds did not cause the implosion of the Irish banking sector - that was the 'light touch regulation' which was done by an organ of the state - the central bank and Greedy bankers, bank shareholders and property investors who thought that the only way was up in terms of share price and property values.

What the hedge fund did was to take advantage of this situation and quite legally make money from it - the reason this guy made 35m last year was because he made multiples of that figure for his clients while the Irish Government sat idly by and wondered what to do.

I don't particularly like Ganley - but this business of him being shady is tiresome - I believe him when he says he is a patriot - at least he's out there giving his opinion - we are lucky to live in a democracy and he is exercising his democratic right to the nth degree.

I stilldon't know which way to vote on Friday though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

w123 wrote: »
    What the hedge fund did was to take advantage of this situation and quite legally make money from it - the reason this guy made 35m last year was because he made multiples of that figure for his clients while the Irish Government sat idly by and wondered what to do.

Unfortunately the government doesn't have the power to regulate international hedge fund operations. Do you think it's any coincidence that Europe is looking to move forward on just this particular issue? :rolleyes:

Advertisement