Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need cheap decent road bike.

Options
  • 28-09-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

If anyone knows of any offers going on for a cheap road/city bike let me know, thanks.

Gotta be decent.

Im asking of a lot here amn't I?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

we'll need a bity more details... new? Secondhand? budget?
    Try adverts.ie or buy and sell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

You're looking for the Holy Grail. Cheap and decent, choose one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ta gamer brutha

As in less than €300

Not second hand.

Websites tend to be fairly useless around here and i'm not looking for a halfords branded bike.

I got two options which are to import one from the uk or to shop around and see what I can get.

On the other hand I was hoping if you guys saw anything you could keep me updated.(Its a hybrid bike im looking for)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭corkandproud

As in less than €300

Websites tend to be fairly useless around here and i'm not looking for a halfords branded bike.

???

(I'm still trying to work out what "around here" means)

Dubln in general and irish websites which sell bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Trek 7.0 FX 2010 Hybrid Bike

£270+£25 delivery.

About €320 at current rates.

If its good enough for Lance...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Evans deliver Treks now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Evans deliver Treks now?

ship2store_only.gif?1253628337

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

With a €300 budget, I don't know why you're dead set against the Halfords stuff. From my understanding, the bikes are good value, it's the staff that can be a bit bogus.

ATM - for €300 approx

Carrera Subway 1 '09 = €270
    Carrera Crossfire 1 '09 = €300
    Carrera Subway 2 '09 = €340

Or you could have a look at the Planet Newport, which goes for €250ish new. A heavier bike, but it does have mudguards, rack etc.

(BTW - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as I'd also like to see what's available for €300)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

With a 300 budget, not going to get a good choice and drop decent from your choices. 300 is entry level cost of a new bike(Entry level!) check your cash and expectations mate. 300 will get you a new bike that will not make you enjoy cycling. check the adverts and you may get something decent 2ndHand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joshor123

carrera virtuoso ...my bike..... perfect:O fairly cheap in halfords

What do you guys feel is neccesary for a good hybrid.
    Obviously good components make a good bike, but say front suspension, disc brakes, rapid fire shifters, Weight, Brand name,etc...

Im looking for:
    the rapid fire
    Lightweight
    Brand name
    V-brakes (bad experience with discs)

Im not sure about front suspension as obviously it makes it more expensive and weighs it down but it is better for tougher cycling.

Im against halfords branded bikes as i believe they are made of cheap components which wont last the year.
    My halfords bike is almost unuseable after less than 2 years.
    Cant even contact a manufacturer that wont last too long

Im thinking of getting an evans cycles bike as they are cheap with good brand names but its a pity about the delivery charges.

What do you think of:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/discovery-201-2009-hybrid-bike-ec018590
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/transeo-50-2009-hybrid-bike-ec016398
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/saracen/venturer-3-2008-womens-hybrid-bike-ec001202

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you got a Halfords Apollo it is crap, the Carrera ones are meant to be decent value. As are the Boardmans although they are out of your price range.

Avoid suspension.

€300 is pushing it but there are plenty of entry level hybrids between that price and €400, I would suggest you stretch your budget a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hey Ta,

I am pretty much in the same position as you and was looking at possibly getting the viking giro d'italia or whatever, but i need a turbo trainer as well!

So my LBS in Kerry said he'll do the bike(399) and trainer(155) for 400 all in.

Don't know if this is any good as deals go, I know I could get it cheaper in the uk but can't be bothered with worrying if it's gonna turn up damaged etc.

Just wonder what the guys on here think of the bike?

Regards,

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I doubt the opening poster will get a good cheap bike but -

is he 5' 0" or 6' 6" ?

[edit] Just saw he wants a new bike for that money. As a previous poster said good and cheap don't come in the same package.

Advertisement