Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thousands of Non-Irish sent polling cards.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

cligereen wrote: »
    I checked the register online and although I'm not Irish, they have me down as being Irish with a 'P' beside my name. Therefore I could vote.

Being incorrectly entered on the register does not confer a right to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

ghost_ie wrote: »
    My point really is that not only in this referendum but in previous (and probably future) referendums (referenda?) and elections the electoral registers have been a mess, with some people having more than one vote because local authorities failed to remove people who were no longer at previous addresses. We were supposed to have cleared this up a couple of years ago, but the system is still a mess.
    There is a certain responsibility that rests with the individual to ensure that they are correctly registered - it's impossible for local authorities to keep an accurate register without some input from the electorate. So if, for example, your address changes, the onus is on you to either update your details on the register or, if necessary, have yourself removed from the register in one local authority and added to another.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

djpbarry wrote: »
    There is a certain responsibility that rests with the individual to ensure that they are correctly registered - it's impossible for local authorities to keep an accurate register without some input from the electorate. So if, for example, your address changes, the onus is on you to either update your details on the register or, if necessary, have yourself removed from the register in one local authority and added to another.
    Completely agree with all of the above, but the local authorities could at least make the effort to meet us half-way - I've never received a completely correct polling card, despite filling out the precise details on the registration form myself.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Completely agree with all of the above, but the local authorities could at least make the effort to meet us half-way...
    Absolutely - I'm by no means absolving them of any blame!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

realcam wrote: »
    Yes. No.

It shouldn't really be necessary to point this out, but boards.ie cannot condone the commission of crime, or admission to it on these forums. Our duty in the case of admission of having committed a crime, or on statement of intent to commit a crime, becomes to at the very least infract and warn the offender. Further action may also be taken, at the discretion of the site's owners.

This is everybody's one and only warning.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Cool, how do you get that job ?

Just out of curiosity, if that person could prove that they're an Irish citizen but weren't down on your registered list of voters, is there someone there that can make a decision to let them vote ?

I'll post on that thread later with details(Its obviously much too late to matter for this friday now).

I had that situation before actually. I had to refuse someone in a referednum because they were down as a British citizen.
    Turns out they were british but had gotten Irish citizenship and told me they had an Irish passport.(But not with them)

There was nothing i could do about it. If he protested it i would have kicked it up the line to the station presiding officer and let them make a call on it.
    Afaik the station officer can make a decision on it. There was a case in the last referendum of something like that happening.
    A point to note though is only off the top of my head, id need to look up the speifics. Also you would need to be on the register in someform anyway to have a chance. If you name isnt on it at all i dont think there is much that can be done.(Again that is assuming you havent been taken off in error which is another story)

If the same person shows up again with the same situation and has an Irish passport this time. I still have to refuse them initially but will immediatly refer it to my superior as the simple poll clerk does not have the authority.

Moral of the story? If there is any doubt over citizenship bring a passport and appeal it to the station presiding officer. And be nice about it ;) (Obviously as long as the staff are nice to you)

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Slightly tangential, do you consider it electoral fraud for a polling officer to refuse someone their vote because they don't have ID?

Because you don't have to have ID to vote. Or a polling card for that matter....

It is not fraud at all.

Polling officer is within their rights to refuse someone without ID,polling card or known to the polling clerk or someone else working at the station.

The list of acceptable ID is quite extensive.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/elections-and-referenda/national-elections/voting_procedure_in_a_general_election

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well I want a referendum on giving all people living in Ireland a vote on referenda.

greendom wrote: »
    Well I want a referendum on giving all people living in Ireland a vote on referenda.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/elections-and-referenda/referenda/constitutional-referendum-in-ireland

Here you go. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dont WASTE YOUR VOTE!
    If your unsure of what to vote look at http://www.coircampaign.org/index.ph...actsandfigures

If your unsure of what to vote - VOTE NO!

Dont vote YES if you are unsure of why you are doing so

page not found - probably the most truthful thing on that website :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

realcam wrote: »
    Just checked this. Still a 'P'.

What does the 'P' stand for, as I just checked mine and I don't know what the hell the P means?

Obviously I can vote but , or does this letter mean I can't? I'm confused now, I wish they'd give info below (with your details) on what the certain letters stand for. Gah :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

lisaface wrote: »
    What does the 'P' stand for, as I just checked mine and I don't know what the hell the P means?

Obviously I can vote but , or does this letter mean I can't? I'm confused now, I wish they'd give info below (with your details) on what the certain letters stand for. Gah :confused:

I believe it stands for 'Presidential' as it signifies that you can vote in all elections up to and including Presidential elections (and referenda).

So that would mean that British people are D for Dail, other EU nationals are E, because they can vote in local and European elections. And non EU nationals are L because they can only vote in local elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    You committed electoral fraud then.
    Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Did you vote in the last referendum? Do you have an Irish passport?

Voting in a referendum and not having an Irish passport does not constitute committing fraud.

Agent J wrote: »
    I'll post on that thread later with details(Its obviously much too late to matter for this friday now).

I had that situation before actually. I had to refuse someone in a referednum because they were down as a British citizen.
    Turns out they were british but had gotten Irish citizenship and told me they had an Irish passport.(But not with them)

There was nothing i could do about it. If he protested it i would have kicked it up the line to the station presiding officer and let them make a call on it.
    Afaik the station officer can make a decision on it. There was a case in the last referendum of something like that happening.
    A point to note though is only off the top of my head, id need to look up the speifics. Also you would need to be on the register in someform anyway to have a chance. If you name isnt on it at all i dont think there is much that can be done.(Again that is assuming you havent been taken off in error which is another story)

If the same person shows up again with the same situation and has an Irish passport this time. I still have to refuse them initially but will immediatly refer it to my superior as the simple poll clerk does not have the authority.

Moral of the story? If there is any doubt over citizenship bring a passport and appeal it to the station presiding officer. And be nice about it ;) (Obviously as long as the staff are nice to you)

Cheers, good post.
    If that person shows up and your list says they're either not on it or not eligible but they've got proof of Irish citizenship, you still can't do anything though can you ? It'd be good if the station officer or whatever can make the call because administrative mistakes happen I suppose much like people who shouldn't be getting voting cards getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Voting in a referendum and not having an Irish passport does not constitute committing fraud.

As a non-Irish citizen you have no entitlement to vote in a referendum. If you cast a vote that you are not entitled to cast you are committing electoral fraud.

If they are not on it at all then there is no chance.

If they are on it but are incorrectly assigned then it will have to be a

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Agent J wrote: »
    If they are not on it at all then there is no chance.

If they are on it but are incorrectly assigned then it will have to be a

Lots of slavic tongues could be heard today, whilst entering and leaving the voting centre.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

PaulieD wrote: »
    Lots of slavic tongues could be heard today, whilst entering and leaving the voting centre.:mad:

Even if there were, which I doubt, they still wouldn't have been able to vote. There's nothing more to it, the rest is just your paranoia. I've been sitting in a polling room since 7 and I haven't heard anyone with a non-Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Aren't these the same Europeans everyone knows would vote no if they got the chance. Indeed there are threads complaining that they didn't get the chance... and yet here we are again... some people are never happy :rolleyes:

Dinner wrote: »
    Even if there were, which I doubt, they still wouldn't have been able to vote. There's nothing more to it, the rest is just your paranoia. I've been sitting in a polling room since 7 and I haven't heard anyone with a non-Irish accent.

There is a non national on politics.ie claiming that he/she was able to vote today in Finglas. But yeah, we are all liars and you are right.:rolleyes:

prinz wrote: »
    Aren't these the same Europeans everyone knows would vote no if they got the chance. Indeed there are threads complaining that they didn't get the chance... and yet here we are again... some people are never happy :rolleyes:

Immigrants would not vote against the EU as without it, they would not be able to settle in Ireland with such ease.

• Advertisement

There is a non national on politics.ie claiming that he/she was able to vote today in Finglas. But yeah, we are all liars and you are right.:rolleyes:
    I'm a foreign national. This morning, I rounded up all my non-Irish friends and we all successfully voted in every single polling station in Dublin. Twice.

I've stated this on an internet discussion forum, therefore it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Immigrants would not vote against the EU as without it, they would not be able to settle in Ireland with such ease.

They wouldn't be voting against the EU, just Lisbon.

This thread is fun, I can throw out the No side line.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Reporting after just finished on a polling station in Kildare North.

No major problems with the issue at all. We had clear instructions from the higher ups and were watching for it the whole day.

I had to turn away at least 5 people from my table and they took it well after it was explained to them properly.
    Anyone who could show an Irish passport and was on the register in some form or another was allowed to vote.

Stand down conspiracy theories lads.

Now. If i hear the words libson and treaty again in the same sentence i am going to stab someone in the eye with a pencil.

K-9 wrote: »
    They wouldn't be voting against the EU, just Lisbon.

This thread is fun, I can throw out the No side line.

They voted alright, mon amie. I seen it with my own two eyes. Disgraceful.

They voted alright, mon amie. I seen it with my own two eyes. Disgraceful.

You did? Last I heard it was a poster on p.ie you were crediting... or was it the slavic accents you heard? You know there are thousands of people of Eastern European origin who are Irish citizens now and have every right to vote yes?

You did? Last I heard it was a poster on p.ie you were crediting... or was it the slavic accents you heard? You know there are thousands of people of Eastern European origin who are Irish citizens now and have every right to vote yes?

Thousands my eye. They have no need for Irish passports as they are members of the EU. It is a seven year wait to gain Irish citizenship. They arrived en masse in 2004.

There were dozens of eastern europeans in and around the polling centre. Thats a fact. Did I see some voting? Yes. Did they all obtain Irish citizenship? No chance.

Thousands my eye. They have no need for Irish passports as they are members of the EU. It is a seven year wait to gain Irish citizenship. They arrived en masse in 2004.

There were dozens of eastern europeans in and around the polling centre. Thats a fact. Did I see some voting? Yes. Did they all obtain Irish citizenship? No chance.

I know of at least 15 people myself. Go figure. Unless you have actual proof that people were committing electoral fraud I would stop spreading malicious rumours.

I know of at least 15 people myself. Go figure.

You one of them?

You one of them?

No, but through work I get to verify passport ID's firsthand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Advertisement