Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Broomwagon (off topic chat)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

michaelhealyrae_rte.jpg&w=100&h=100&zc=1

What's Michael Healy-Rae doing in London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Andrea Pinarello dies after heart attack

Son of Italian bike maker dead at 40

Andrea Pinarello, the son of the Pinarello bicycle manufacturer founder Giovanni, collapsed and died following the opening stage of an amateur cycling race, according to reports in Italy.

The 40-year-old suffered a heart attack following the first stage of the Giro del Friuli, an amateur Italian stage race. He is reported to have collapsed immediately after crossing the finish line in apparent good health.

Paramedics successfully revived him, but a second heart attack shortly afterwards was to prove fatal.

Andrea, who had a long association with the highly-regarded Italian bike manufacturing family, is survived by his wife and two children.

The Pinarello family has close links to sport, sponsoring major professional teams and riders of the calbire of Miguel Indurain for many years. The company currnetly supplies bikes to Team Sky and Movistar.

Cyclingnews extends its condolences to the family and friends of Pinarello.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andrea-pinarello-dies-after-heart-attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I had to deliberately crash yesterday just to demonstrate to Cpt Havoc why he needs to shave his legs :rolleyes:
    Pics or GTFO

Here's mine from back in January

aXlwQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Sorry no pics, do you want pics of my missing skin though? :P

Sorry no pics, do you want pics of my missing skin though? :P
    Eh,... probably not. Unless you've got something interesting going on in the background...
    look-behind-you-first-oops-demotivational-poster-1233894277.jpg

Idea for a prank: If you don't have kids, call a babysitter, tell her that the kid is upstairs sleeping and it's not to be bothered. Go out for a drink. Come back and ask where your kid is. Enjoy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Mountain biking tomorrow anyone?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Idea for a prank: If you don't have kids, call a babysitter, tell her that the kid is upstairs sleeping and it's not to be bothered. Go out for a drink. Come back and ask where your kid is. Enjoy.

ah, a variation of the "McCann" trick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

madness. I take it that wasn't you?

Thought there was going to be a fight. There would have been if I were the cyclist. :pac: Wouldn't have just hoped that the guy was going to calm down enough not to start hitting me as soon as he reached me.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Thought there was going to be a fight. There would have been if I were the cyclist. :pac:
    Have you ever tried fighting whilst wearing cleats :confused:

Lemag wrote: »

No but given all these videos it's enough of a consideration for me to go for spd's next time around.

I honestly would have assumed that the angry crazy was going to hit me in that video though and cleat or no cleat I would have been off my bike to try and defend myself there. Unfortunately for me it seems that would have been the wrong thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Lemag wrote: »
    Bertie doesn't even stop pedalling! :D:
    169565.jpg

I honestly would have assumed that the angry crazy was going to hit me in that video though and cleat or no cleat I would have been off my bike to try and defend myself there. Unfortunately for me it seems that would have been the wrong thing to do.
    With a winter trainer maybe but I'd probably rather take a punch in the face than have to hastily place my carbon bike on the ground ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

madness. I take it that wasn't you?

No,thank god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yay, last day in work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

So I've worked out that Vladimir Kurtains is el tonto, which takes away a lot of my confusion. When did that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »
    When did that happen?

Well it took him longer to change the avatar so I guessed when I saw that this morning :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When did that happen?
    Just before 7:41 this morning;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

So I've worked out that Vladimir Kurtains is el tonto, which takes away a lot of my confusion. When Why did that happen?

FYP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So I've worked out that Vladimir Kurtains is el tonto, which takes away a lot of my confusion. When did that happen?
    RobFowl wrote: »
    FYP

A change is as good as a rest. It was either that or Vladimir Car Parts, which I might go for further down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyone have any other suggestions for Vlad's next moniker?:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The always excellent Philip Gourevitch has a piece about the Rwandan national cycling squad in the New Yorker that's well worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Boogady.........boogady.........boogady.......

Until there's a prayer like this before every bike race and every sporitve, cycling will never be truly mainstream........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Beasty wrote: »
    Anyone have any other suggestions for Vlad's next moniker?:D

'Vlad The Derailleur'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Hmm. This isn't all that surprising, but this sort of distortion shouldn't be permitted, even under the guise of entertainment. I'm not surprised the electric car manufacturers are suing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/aug/05/top-gear-bbc
    Last Sunday, an episode of Top Gear showed Jeremy Clarkson and James May setting off for Cleethorpes in Lincolnshire, 60 miles away. The car unexpectedly ran out of charge when they got to Lincoln, and had to be pushed. They concluded that "electric cars are not the future".

But it wasn't unexpected: Nissan has a monitoring device in the car which transmits information on the state of the battery. This shows that, while the company delivered the car to Top Gear fully charged, the programme-makers ran the battery down before Clarkson and May set off, until only 40% of the charge was left. Moreover, they must have known this, as the electronic display tells the driver how many miles' worth of electricity they have, and the sat-nav tells them if they don't have enough charge to reach their destination. In this case it told them – before they set out on their 60-mile journey – that they had 30 miles' worth of electricity. But, as Ben Webster of the Times reported earlier this week, "at no point were viewers told that the battery had been more than half empty at the start of the trip."

It gets worse. As Webster points out, in order to stage a breakdown in Lincoln, "it appeared that the Leaf was driven in loops for more than 10 miles in Lincoln until the battery was flat."

The minute I started watching the last episode I was sure that they are going to bury these electric cars. The companies should know better though,they are a bunch of petrolheads what did they expect, a valid review? Top Gear is a nice show if you know what are you watching, a comedy program about cars. They are not really reviewing anything, they are just having fun with cars, fair enough though I am jealous. On the other hand I do agree, they should pay more attention on what they are doing since they are the no1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Hmm. This isn't all that surprising, but this sort of distortion shouldn't be permitted, even under the guise of entertainment.

It's a car-themed light entertainment show, not a documentary. It is common knowledge that the Top Gear features are largely fabricated.

In any case, the details don't matter. The overall message was true - electric cars are currently not suitable for intercity journeys unless you plan an overnight stop.

It's hardly surprising that the self-righteous champagne communists at the Guardian got wound up about it. :pac:

I'm actually really gutted about this. I loved Top Gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Lumen wrote: »
    It is common knowledge that the Top Gear features are largely fabricated.

I would have to disagree with this, many of their 'experiments' while fanciful and comedic are non the less displayed to emphasise a point, I think the majority of people take what they see on Top Gear to be the serious opinion of the Top Gear Team & by association the BBC's opinion. It is hard to find the entertainment behind the notion that an electric car would fail such a driving test. While I'm not one for conspiracy theories (and it could easily be as simply as Clarkson personally deciding to trash the name of electric cars) they knew that by airing it that it would effect public opinion. Perhaps just a little but just enough to add another straw to the camels back.
    It's hardly surprising that the self-righteous champagne communists at the Guardian got wound up about it. :pac:

A bit harsh......

Short and funny story. When I crashed I called my non-cycling-geek girlfriend to tell her and her first question was: "Was it with the new bike?". I think I did well!

lens18237691_1311936679me-gusta-meme.jpg

Have a nice august all, I am off to holidays :D

• Advertisement

In any case, the details don't matter. The overall message was true - electric cars are currently not suitable for intercity journeys unless you plan an overnight stop.
    The problem is that, while that point would be correct, they implicitly made the point that this brand of electric car is unable to reliably complete a journey of 60 miles, which is completely false. In fact, the gauge estimate of how many miles they could complete on the battery charge was conservative (since they didn't run out of charge when they wanted to), which is commendable.

They could have had their bit of comedy while highlighting deficiencies the car actually possesses.

Not something I feel that strongly about, except that I find lying under the disguise of humour to be disturbing and dishonest (anyone see Stewart Lee's DVD where he made up a comically inadequate response by Russell Brand to the Shilpa Shetty dust-up and presented it as if Russell Brand actually said it?).

In any case, the details don't matter.

Garbage. Details matter. Peoples jobs are on the line. They lied their asses off. Public opinion will be negatively affected by what it sounds like was presented as a possible / likely event but in fact would never happen.

Must get my hands on this episode, though I think clarkson is an absolute twat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

serious opinion of the Top Gear Team & by association the BBC's opinion

Top gear ain't serious. I'm sure that the beeb don't share the "serious" opinion of top gear as shown in the recent episodes with Albania (mob) and Italy (police).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Jeeeeeeeeesus effin' H, I'd forgotten how much I HATE Rickenbackers !! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

picture.php?albumid=1758&pictureid=10264

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

when did this new season of top gear start? i always end up missing them :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

when did this new season of top gear start? i always end up missing them :(

They sandwhich the seasons between X-Factor and Britains Got Talent.

Just watched Chasing Legends. Thoroughly enjoyable stuff.

• Advertisement

which helps me not at all as both shows hold about as much interest for me as a........ "insert really boring thing" :D i take it tonight's show is new yeah?

which helps me not at all as both shows hold about as much interest for me as a........ "insert really boring thing" :D i take it tonight's show is new yeah?
    Therer isn't one tonight and I only know about the season thing because Clarkson was on about it last week.

have to catch up on Season 17 so, always miss them feck it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

When I crashed I called my non-cycling-geek girlfriend to tell her and her first question was: "Was it with the new bike?". I think I did well!

My GF just changed the bar tape on my road bike, I feel we have reached a new level in our relationship

I'm the luckiest man alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Just watched Chasing Legends. Thoroughly enjoyable stuff.

Any link for a online source to watch this Khannie?

Therer isn't one tonight and I only know about the season thing because Clarkson was on about it last week.
    Sheesh, yeah right ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

My GF just changed the bar tape on my road bike, I feel we have reached a new level in our relationship

"You never clean the bathroom and you'd never think of changing your bartape. I always have to do it... :mad:

;);)

Dubba wrote: »
    Any link for a online source to watch this Khannie?

Not aware of any, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

tomasrojo wrote: »
    (anyone see Stewart Lee's DVD where he made up a comically inadequate response by Russell Brand to the Shilpa Shetty dust-up and presented it as if Russell Brand actually said it?).

Noone could believe that made up Russell Brand quote was real. And if they did, its a sad indictment of Brand, not Lee.

http://youtu.be/PdByz1AsHT4#t=1m45

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sounds a little bit like a sped-up version of this:

EDIT: Ah, I see that Andy Partridge of XTC co-wrote the Pugwash song, and wrote Summer's Cauldron. Neatly explains a few similarities!

Noone could believe that made up Russell Brand quote was real. And if they did, its a sad indictment of Brand, not Lee.

http://youtu.be/PdByz1AsHT4#t=1m45
    I've heard that argument alright, but Lee reads a statement from a piece of paper from the Carphone Warehouse -- it's real -- then one from Martin Luther King -- clearly real and well-known -- and then reads a statement ostensibly from Brand in exactly the same manner, and audience guffaws at how ludicrous Brand is. Except Brand didn't say it. It's all very well to say that the audience should know that the statement is so ludicrous it isn't real, but if Brand is so ludicrous, why couldn't Lee find an actual quote that was bad enough to make the audience laugh?

And the you get this as a DVD extra:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG9wZ73YWGk&feature=related

Really weird stuff. Some now argue that this is clearly a spoof, and Lee isn't embarrassed at being caught out.

This type of meta-humour is beyond me, I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement