Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Broomwagon (off topic chat)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

EDIT: Actually, I don't want to get into a debate about comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

EDIT: Actually, I don't want to get into a debate about comedy.
    Fair enough. Incidentally, just to conclude on a comedy-related and conciliatory note, I've been listening to the WTF with Marc Maron podcasts for the last few months, which are very good, I think, and there's one with Stewart Lee, which is insightful and enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Top gear ain't serious. I'm sure that the beeb don't share the "serious" opinion of top gear as shown in the recent episodes with Albania (mob) and Italy (police).

Read an article in last weekends Sunday papers about rich arabs bringing their supercars to drive around London. On guy admitted to buying a Zonda (or something like that) because it did the fastest lap on Top Gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Read an article in last weekends Sunday papers about rich arabs bringing their supercars to drive around London. On guy admitted to buying a Zonda (or something like that) because it did the fastest lap on Top Gear.

Oh how the other half live!!! Ba$tard$!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

We're not all flash like that you know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

5000.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

LOL. :D Post count slut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

cycling news is serious website to be fair, miles ahead of anything else for cycling

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Khannie wrote: »
    LOL. :D Post count slut.

:eek:

• Advertisement

This is hard to describe but interesting none the less, handy if you want to cycle as Gaeilge and know EU stats and policies.... link

The guide was created to help people cycling in Europe to communicate in bike shops, train stations and hotels, as well as to raise awareness of cycling in general. It’s not totally comprehensive but it could be handy for any bike tourist on an international trip and if you’re taking a smartphone or Kindle along for the ride anyway, it’s easy to carry.

RobFowl wrote: »

:eek:

I know. It's slightly embarrassing really. I'm an old timer 'round here though. More than 7 years now (jaysus!). They just rack up over time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I know. It's slightly embarrassing really. I'm an old timer 'round here though. More than 7 years now (jaysus!). They just rack up over time.

Could be worse, you could just be some newbie making pointess posts that don't really say anything but waffle on enough to convince people you actually have all with the purpose of building up your post count :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Spotted this joke on another forum.

A guy was walking down the street one day, when his friend rode up on an incredible shiny new bike. "WOW!" he said, "Where did you get such a nice bike?"
    The cyclist replied, "Well, yesterday I was walking home, minding my own business, when a beautiful woman rode up to me on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, 'Take whatever you want!'"
    The first guy nodded approvingly, "Good choice. The clothes probably wouldn't have fit."

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

A friend of mine, whilst looking for a set of wheels, came across these
    Mavic Aksium Black Clincher Road Bike Wheelset - OE. Can anyone here shed some light on what 'OE' might stand for in this context? Thanks.

'Old Edition' I'm guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Lemag wrote: »
    A friend of mine, whilst looking for a set of wheels, came across these
    Mavic Aksium Black Clincher Road Bike Wheelset - OE. Can anyone here shed some light on what 'OE' might stand for in this context? Thanks.

'Old Edition' I'm guessing?

Either that or:
    OE (Original Equipment) products have been bought from excess stock destined for bike manufacturers and as such they may not come in the original packaging or with instructions. This means we can pass the savings on to you. They are of the same high quality as retail product and still have the usual Wiggle warranty applied to them.

Click on the Q & A tab.

No world record but I just did 20km in 30 min. I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

No world record but I just did 20km in 30 min. I'm happy with that.
    Wow, Daft Punk give quite the performance boost!

• Advertisement

So...are bib shorts really that much better? I have non bib shorts and find them grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

screw everyone and their isotonic drinks/water/water+salt solution this is what i brought on my cycle tonight.

IMG_2061_1.jpg

So...are bib shorts really that much better? I have non bib shorts and find them grand.

i find bib shorts great from practical point of view, they keep ur back warm which is importnat if wind gets under the shirt and they dont cum down on you, and pad stays up where it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Yes. Try 'em and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

screw everyone and their isotonic drinks/water/water+salt solution this is what i brought on my cycle tonight.

IMG_2061_1.jpg

I tried that stuff before, interesting to begin with but it just becomes too bleh to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

You wear them for the sake of others

crack.jpg

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I tried that stuff before, interesting to begin with but it just becomes too bleh to finish.

Blasphemy! That stuff is great. Topped only by the PorterHouse's own chocolate stout. Haven't seen any of it around in a while, though. Om nom nom.

http://yfrog.com/h3jt2prsj

a tt bike for the kids

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Where did you get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I'm an old timer 'round here though. More than 7 years now (jaysus!).

pfffft newbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

A recent symposium at the American College of Sports Medicine 58th Annual Meeting June 2, 2011 and other recent studies show that chocolate improves endurance training in mice and humans. Taking small amounts of a chocolate extract, called epicatechin, twice a day for two weeks shortened recovery from intense exercise and increased endurance in mice (Journal of Physiology, July 25, 2011). Drinking chocolate milk after all- out exercising helped athletes recover faster and cycle faster afterwards (Journal of Strength Conditioning Research, May 2011).

These studies do not encourage you to take chocolate just before competitions. They show that chocolate helps you to recover faster from hard exercise, and that you may benefit from taking small amounts of chocolate daily during hard training :). All athletic training is done by taking a harder workout on one day, feeling sore on the next and taking easier workouts for as many days as it takes for the soreness to go away. If you can recover faster, you can do more intense training and be a better athlete.

Your body requires oxygen to convert food to energy to power your muscles during exercise. The limiting factor to how fast you can run or cycle, and how much force your muscles can generate, is the time it takes to move oxygen from your lungs into your muscles. The aim of all athletic training is to increase your body's ability to convert food to energy with the least amount of oxygen. Anything that increases oxygen supply or decreases oxygen needs will make you faster and stronger.

Your muscles convert food to energy primarily in your mitochondria, small chambers numbering from a few to thousands inside your muscles. Anything that grows new mitochondria or enlarges existing ones will make you faster and stronger. The cocoa bean contains chemicals called epicatechins that stimulate your muscles to grow and produce mitochondria. It takes only small amounts, taken regularly, to do this.

http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine080711.html

• Advertisement

Drinking chocolate milk...
    I knew I was doing something right!
    benefit from taking small amounts of chocolate daily during hard training
    I may also be doing something wrong....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

CramCycle wrote: »
    Where did you get it?

Off license in bray called Hollands. They do all kinds of great ales/stouts/beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

drmirkin.com

Snigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Lumen wrote: »
    Snigger.

*too busy enjoying third 'Flake' to stress over sources*

The Phoenix Park smelt amazing this morning.

It's sexy time for plants.

Your muscles convert food to energy primarily in your mitochondria, small chambers numbering from a few to thousands inside your muscles.

This really doesn't do justice to those incredible little organelles, the mitochondria.

They're present in every living cell in your body, have their own DNA, and probably were initially bacteria that were ingested by a larger unicellular organism back in the mists of time and stayed on in a symbiotic relationship.

They also number in the millions inside your muscles, since each living cell has at least one mitochondrion, and as far as I know muscle cells have many mitochondria each.

London's worst looter......

scaled.php?tn=0&server=740&filename=2mrfb.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

.....and this girl might have some explaining to do to her bosses (she was arrested looting the shop where she works)

GQ897TF

The Phoenix Park smelt amazing this morning.

It's sexy time for plants.
    This really doesn't do justice to those incredible ... ah, never mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Jawgap wrote: »
    London's worst looter......

Ahem, not a patch on this one:
    29301_442976909814_310716489814_5773694_3162803_n.jpg

Diarmuid wrote: »
    pfffft newbie

Pfft. Go away 2000. Come back when you're 10K. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Yesterday night at midnight the temperature was 31C. The temperature now is 39C under shade. I used to work at these temperatures.. now I can barely drink beer by the seaside.. :pac:

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Yesterday night at midnight the temperature was 31C. The temperature now is 39C under shade. I used to work at these temperatures.. now I can barely drink beer by the seaside.. :pac:

You have our sympathies :rolleyes:

Edwardian stunt riding. Including knitting on the bike.

http://vl203.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/fancy-cycling/

The stunts described
    may be accomplished by any rider posessed of an ordinary amount of nerve, the virtue of determination, and a few spare moments secure from the rude intrusion of unsympathising spectators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

:D

"Q: will you ship to nigeria???
    A: Not at this time. Thank you"

Meanwhile in London.......

scaled.php?tn=0&server=739&filename=5oew.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I can't understand why Cameron has cancelled all leave for Police Officers in London, why doesn't he just give Johnny Hoogerland a call.

He'd sort out that mess in no time at all.

Which do you think would be better 16,000 English Gardai or 1 Johnny Hoogerland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Vélo wrote: »
    I can't understand why Cameron has cancelled all leave for Police Officers in London, why doesn't he just give Johnny Hoogerland a call.

He'd sort out that mess in no time at all.

Which do you think would be better 16,000 English Gardai or 1 Johnny Hoogerland?
    No no no, Bernard Hinault is the demonstrator sorter outer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No no no, Bernard Hinault is the demonstrator sorter outer.

Both wrong. Chuck Norris is the answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement