Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Broomwagon (off topic chat)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    One last Steve Jobs story.

That's a cool story. I had the misfortune of having to take apart an iPod touch before to replace a broken screen for a friend. I have to say, having taken apart everything since my walkman as a kid, the inside was a sight to behold. The placement of all the components was a feat of engineering in itself. Not a surplus cubic millimetre to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Khannie wrote: »
    That's a cool story. I had the misfortune of having to take apart an iPod touch before to replace a broken screen for a friend. I have to say, having taken apart everything since my walkman as a kid, the inside was a sight to behold. The placement of all the components was a feat of engineering in itself. Not a surplus cubic millimetre to be seen.
    It's a great story. Unfortunately, I've since found out that it may be apocryphal.
    LATER: In my comments I related one of my favourite stories about Jobs — the one where he drops the first iPod prototype in a fish-tank to demonstrate that it’s too big. Frank Stajano emailed to say that it may be apocryphal — he’d heard it many years ago about Akio Morita and Sony’s Walkman. In trying to check I found this nice piece by D.B. Grady, who also tells the story but cautions “I have no way of knowing if it is true, so take it for what it’s worth. I think it nicely captures the man who changed the world four times over.”
    http://memex.naughtons.org/archives/2011/10/09/14575

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

daragh_ wrote: »
    The Recumbent of space travel.

What about the (much noiser) Project Orion? It won't get you very far, but you will get there quickly.

There's only the slight problem of the treaty preventing the use of nuclear weapons in space!!

....this is making me nostalgic for my Carl Sagan "Cosmos" box set - might be time to give it another airing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A more nuanced piece from the NY Times about Steve Jobs.....

Against Nostalgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Any reason the running compression top would not be suitable for cycling?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week41Thursday11.htm?WT.mc_id=2011-10-10-11-17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Crow92 wrote: »
    Any reason the running compression top would not be suitable for cycling?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week41Thursday11.htm?WT.mc_id=2011-10-10-11-17

Why do you need a compression top for cycling? Or do you just want it as a base layer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Raam wrote: »
    Why do you need a compression top for cycling? Or do you just want it as a base layer?

I just want it as a base layer and seems good value.

I noticed they sell a base layer set (obviously won't be using the briefs)

need to get a pair of padded shorts too if anyone has any cheap-enough reccomendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

First time in cleats today.
    Learned out they work in the shop and off I went.

Right foot in outside the door, tried to move off and down I go... Didn't even make it a meter with out falling over! :p (Thank **** no one saw!)

Anyway, after that I got the hang of it pretty much straight away. Just need to remember to clip out before lights, thankfully the initial fall will remind me. :o

Feels great in the new shoes though, spinning just happens so much more naturally.

Crow92 wrote: »
    I just want it as a base layer and seems good value.

I noticed they sell a base layer set (obviously won't be using the briefs)

need to get a pair of padded shorts too if anyone has any cheap-enough reccomendations.

I had a pair of Aldi shorts for the first month or so. Chamois was grand on them but the elastic was a bit dodgy. Think they were €6.
    Cheapest pair of bib shorts I've seen were about €50 I think but it's definitively worth it for the added comforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

This one's for all the parents in the forum.

F706756132A14F47A5E54365DFA97B93-0000338221-0002581051-00500L-2B0891C2F1EA42C39C0F8AB6C83BEA39.jpg

• Advertisement

I ****ing hope he won.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

CianRyan wrote: »
    First time in cleats today.
    Learned out they work in the shop and off I went.

Right foot in outside the door, tried to move off and down I go... Didn't even make it a meter with out falling over! :p (Thank **** no one saw!)

Anyway, after that I got the hang of it pretty much straight away. Just need to remember to clip out before lights, thankfully the initial fall will remind me. :o

Feels great in the new shoes though, spinning just happens so much more naturally.
    Happens to the best of us Cian.:o
    I was stopped at a junction waiting to turn left and got it all wrong when the lights went green. Never thought I could crash while the bike was stationary. Was very impressed with the patience displayed by the queuing traffic - maybe they were too busy laughing to beep while I untangled myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Did anybody else notice a peleton of kids on road bikes out by clontarf on Sunday? There seemed to be ages from about 12-13 up with a few adults herding... Any idea who they were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Well it seems I have decided to build a wheel or wheel set blindfolded for charity (yes I know, one of Holyboys odd, crazy ideas) but it will benefit cycle for sick children if I can do it, so I think I should, it's only in the idea stage now, but as it comes along I may a start a thread if that's OK?
    Any support/help would be great:)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Holyboy wrote: »
    it's only in the idea stage now, but as it comes along I may a start a thread if that's OK?
    Yes

It looks like Canyon have edged ahead in the quest to provide my winter hack with the release of their 2012 bikes. Now if only I could actually get onto their site to see the bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

its slow going alright on the canyon site

Well it seems I have decided to build a wheel or wheel set blindfolded for charity (yes I know, one of Holyboys odd, crazy ideas) but it will benefit cycle for sick children if I can do it, so I think I should, it's only in the idea stage now, but as it comes along I may a start a thread if that's OK?
    Any support/help would be great:)

Sounds like a cool idea. Can we all come along and shout advice on the day?... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Yi Harr wrote: »
    It looks like Canyon have edged ahead in the quest to provide my winter hack with the release of their 2012 bikes. Now if only I could actually get onto their site to see the bikes.
    Generally the specs seem to be slightly down and/or prices seem to be up.
    Well it seems I have decided to build a wheel or wheel set blindfolded
    Will you then ride it ? Blindfolded?

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    Generally the specs seem to be slightly down and/or prices seem to be up.

The wait times seem to be fairly crazy too (Ultimate Al delivery in mid February) or is that normal for Canyon?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

265309431_b629429a1f3b.jpg

Anyone smart would just grab the chain and tip it over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Helmets, who needs 'em, if you can survive this:

Well the BIcyclist survived, not sure if a regular cyclist could :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Want :D

177673.jpg

177675.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Oh deer!!

I think you need to buck your ideas up Super Freak;)

funny-puns-sleep-tight.jpg

Will you then ride it ? Blindfolded?[/QUOTE]

I'll give it a bloody good go:D

If I can't build a wheel up to my usual standards I won't do it, the main or only problem I can fore see is the up and down, well the up more so than the down, I can listen for every thing else except when the rim is pulled up too much, I've got big stupid ears (as people who have met me will know) so hearing isn't a problem:pac:

...so hearing isn't a problem:pac:

Then I suggest headphones and loud music to make this a proper challenge.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Then I suggest headphones and loud music to make this a proper challenge.

Hmm that may slow down the whole build process, I was thinking about four hours with hearing your idea could take as much as ten, maybe for the next one, I do love a challenge though.

• Advertisement

Ten hours wouldn't be too good.:eek:
    What's a normal wheel build time?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I spend between one and two hours on a build, it's impossible to build a proper wheel in less than an hour, it could be laced and trued in half an hour I suppose, if you're not fussy, but to be left with a wheel that will "stand" as they say, it takes a hell of a lot of tweaking!
    I'm ashamed to admit I've built two bad wheels since I started building, my very first one and another a few years ago that I built with cheap spokes when the customer just refused to wait until I could get decent spokes, other than that my wheels have done Paris roubaix, toured Europe and south america, done a lot of very hard racing and some crazy down hill stuff, in that time I've had one back with a broken spoke and that was due to a terrible crash, but TBH I'm never 100% happy with any wheel I build I always think it should be better!

Sorry I do ramble on some (most) of the time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

i cant even get my pedals off at moment nevermind build a wheelset

Winter tyres arrived this morning. This is my guarantee to you all of a mild winter this year...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've never heard of transfusing iron solutions. Is that common?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I've never heard of transfusing iron solutions. Is that common?

No.....

Iron injections shouldn't even be common as they are "named patient" prescription drugs.
    You can give them as an IV infusion as well which is I presume what he was talking/not talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobFowl wrote: »

2023, no?

Lumen wrote: »
    2023, no?
    I think Rob may have been referring to himself;)

Lumen wrote: »
    2023, no?

Doh!

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    I think Rob may have been referring to himself;)

Eeerrr Yes, of course, was talking about myself

(phew, think I've got away with that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

just took delivery of my phillips LED bike light from rose bikes.

was looking forward to trying it out tonight but didn't count on the charger being a european plug. D'oh!

i presume an adaptor won't cause any difficulties while charging?

G rock wrote: »

was looking forward to trying it out tonight but didn't count on the charger being a european plug. D'oh!

So long as it's rated for 240v you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

G rock wrote: »

It has a mini usb port on it maybe you have a cable you can use to charge it from a usb port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

How many 'S'H'I'T'S' do ye do per week ?
    Seriously Hard Interval Training Sessions :pac:

I kick my ass with hill repeats today and I'm doing it again tomorrow.
    So twice this week, not enough. :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How many 'S'H'I'T'S' do ye do per week ?
    Seriously Hard Interval Training Sessions :pac:

One every morning, after a cup of coffee and before work :P
    On the cycle into work with traffic lights obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

put in a serious turn to try get a wheel sucker off my wheel on commute, only time he took a turn was too break a red light.

The chamois in my Nalini bib's smells absolutely horrible after spins, seriously worse than any other's I've had.

If I leave it in my room while I shower it makes the place smell like rotten mushrooms. There has to be a way of avoiding this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shower in your bibs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement