Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Broomwagon (off topic chat)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Fooking Result there with the Play-off draw.

Join me in a chorus:

'Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, Oleee, Oleee
    We're all part of Trappo's Army
    We're all off to Poland-Ukraine-y
    And we'll really shake them up
    When we win the Euro Cup
    Cause Ireland are the greatest Football Teammmmmmm

Time to get out the bunting lads!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

CianRyan wrote: »
    The chamois in my Nalini bib's smells absolutely horrible after spins, seriously worse than any other's I've had.

If I leave it in my room while I shower it makes the place smell like rotten mushrooms. There has to be a way of avoiding this!

Wipe better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The chamois in my Nalini bib's smells absolutely horrible after spins, seriously worse than any other's I've had.

If I leave it in my room while I shower it makes the place smell like rotten mushrooms. There has to be a way of avoiding this!

Don't eat so many mushrooms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's generally the front end and I hate mushrooms.
    Why would anyone want to eat fungus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's generally the front end and I hate mushrooms. Why would anyone want to eat fungus?

Why would anyone want to admit that their "front end" smells of fungus?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Wipe from the front to the back.
    Hope this helps....

There's no winning here, I've gone too far... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to admit that their "front end" smells of fungus?

:pac:

...could be worse, it could smell of cheese!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

What does it taste of?

Shiitake's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BDK

Attack with febreeze before your shower.The bibs I mean...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've two pairs of Nalini bibs and they've never stank.

Are yours the ones with the old school (i.e. soft leather type) chamois?

If there's no one at home I usually throw a towel on and put the bibs right in the machine, bit awkward when there's people about though.

Just the normal foam chamois, I've another set of shorts and leggin's and and none of then smell like these at all.
    Bloody shorts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

1347_MEDIUM.jpg

That's why. Plain old mushrooms are naff but cooked in butter then cream and over some nice toasted bread.......... OMG.

SWEET JESUS!!! D:
    The only way I touch those yoke are covered in cheese on a pizza.
    My girlfriend loves them so there's no way around that. :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I love mushrooms. Tescos are doing a fine range of microwave meals, I had a mushroom risotto for lunch today.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

1347_MEDIUM.jpg

:eek:

Feed me, feed me now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Anyone used a kindle?
    Just wondering if they're any good.
    My birthday's coming up and it sounds like the ideal gift for someone with a broken wrist and lots of time on their hand(s)
    I've finished wide eyed & legless, currently reading Fignon's book, Roche's will be next...followed by 'iron man' by tony iommi \m/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

furiousox wrote: »
    Anyone used a kindle?
    Just wondering if they're any good.
    My sister loves hers. I am against them, being the hypocritical luddite that I am.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

My sister loves hers. I am against them, being the hypocritical luddite that I am.

Same here, sister loves hers, I just love the look, feel and physical presence of books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I understand that a Kindle can "read out" the book for you. How does this work out in practice? Is it like being read to by Stephen Hawking?

I don't find time to sit down and read much. I have very little free time now, and I find audiobooks handy, as at least I can get some "reading" done when I'm doing housework. Problem is that audiobooks are very expensive compared to books, and there is a poor selection from the public library system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

1347_MEDIUM.jpg

That's why. Plain old mushrooms are naff but cooked in butter then cream and over some nice toasted bread.......... OMG.

isnt anything cooked in butter in cream pretty nice anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

got my kindle last christmas and i love it.

was sceptical at first, thinking i'd miss the look and feel of a book, but have to admit that when you're reading it you forget you're looking at a screen altogether.

a leather cover helps too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a Kindle, I think its great. Moving house I packed my books into two large duffel bags, I think each weighed over 20 Kgs.

I can now take all those books (and many, many more) as carry on luggage.

The screen is superb, a book is only superior in poor lighting conditions. Certain books suffer, for example I bought David Millar's book and the photos at the end were obviously not as good as the colour photos of the book.

Being able to say "Oh, a new book is out, I think I'll get it" and two minutes later you have it is great. You *can* sign into the UK store, so you get more of the books available here and some of the prices are ridiculously cheap. I was looking for something a little straightforward, not trashy, but just something a little "hollywood". Amazon recommended the Joe Picket series of novels, and as I had always been a Kay Scarpetta fan, this new series sounded pretty good. First book was 99p.

Oh, and a charge lasts a long, long time. Totally worth it for casual reading, even if you still buy a few printed books as collectibles, you will make back your money on the kindle for all the other stuff you might read after only a few books.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've got a book that weighs 37 kg - wouldn't swap it for a kindle though ...

Beasty wrote: »
    I've got a book that weighs 37 kg

The Beasty Book Of Racing Excuses?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Beasty wrote: »
    I've got a book that weighs 37 kg .

The bound version of all 9928 Broomwagon posts I presume?

Wait...

Beasty, did you buy the Official Ferrari Opus?

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2011/cars/ferrari/03/opus/1803.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I won't use kindle (or other e-readers) for the following reasons.
    More discussion here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1014/breaking21.html

this is what i'm doing at my next sportive

Marathon cheat caught taking bus

A marathon runner was stripped of his third place medal after catching a bus to complete the last six miles of the race held in northern England last Sunday.

Organisers of the event said Rob Sloan (31) withdrew 20 miles into the race, caught a spectator bus, then completed the final section of the course and crossed the finish line in third place with a personal-best time.

"He's the only runner in the whole of the race who ran the second half of the race quicker than the first half," Kielder Marathon event director Steve Cram, an Olympic medal-winning former runner, told BBC television on Wednesday.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    More discussion here...

Thanks for that - illuminating.

I simply do not like the idea of them. I accept that their are situations where they are handy, but I simply like books and book stores. While technological evolution is inevitable, that doesnt mean all of of represents a 'good thing'.

There are ways of life that are being lost because of the desire for convenience without ever asking what will be left remaining.

I think that it is a sad but inevitable truth that our grandchildren may never hold a pen or pencil and thus never write, but merely type.
    Not all advancement is progress.

More discussion here...

There is a simple answer to that: Calibre.

EDIT: ROK ON's post bookmarked and stored, it will be pulled out and quoted when he buys an e-reader in the next year or two :D

@dirk: how do you sign into the uk site? I think I had to register mine to the us .com site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

More discussion here...

i dont read enough to justify one but they did pull 11984 and animal farm ironically, their ability to do that would stop me buying one

G rock wrote: »
    @dirk: how do you sign into the uk site? I think I had to register mine to the us .com site

If you have a UK address :)

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

If you have a UK address :)
    What just a postal address? Confused!

To everyone who is romanticizing paper books and the tactile connection, I would ask you to look at the book world as what it is: a business. A very big business.

How many authors never make it because they can't secure a publishing deal? Their book won't be profitable enough to justify a run of 10,000 books, while Jordan's autobiography ends up on a best seller's list.

I'm not going to get into a paper saving debate, because frankly I think the issues of overpriced books and an industry controlled by publishing houses is more persuasive.

E-books have already opened a gateway to new authors who would never have been given a chance and the possibility of more royalties being paid to the people who matter: the authors, and not the publishers who seek only to profit on the name of the successful authors.
    Traditionally, publishers have sold books to stores, with the wholesale price for hardcovers set at fifty per cent of the cover price. Authors are paid royalties at a rate of about fifteen per cent of the cover price. A simplified version of a publisher’s costs might run as follows. On a new, twenty-six-dollar hardcover, the publisher typically receives thirteen dollars. Authors are paid royalties at a rate of about fifteen per cent of the cover price; this accounts for $3.90. Perhaps $1.80 goes to the costs of paper, printing, and binding, a dollar to marketing, and $1.70 to distribution. The remaining $4.60 must pay for rent, editors, a sales force, and any write-offs of unearned author advances. Bookstores return about thirty-five per cent of the hardcovers they buy, and publishers write off the cost of producing those books. Profit margins are slim

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/04/26/100426fa_fact_auletta#ixzz1al1Bu8oB

What just a postal address? Confused!

Yes, a postal address.

To everyone who is romanticizing paper books and the tactile connection, I would ask you to look at the book world as what it is: a business. A very big business.

How many authors never make it because they can't secure a publishing deal? Their book won't be profitable enough to justify a run of 10,000 books, while Jordan's autobiography ends up on a best seller's list.

I dont think that any of that is disputable. Technology allows for advances regarding self publication across many forms of media and the arts. Choice is a good thing. It is just in tandem with that, that I lament the demise of book stores. Not just an e-reader thing. People in general are reading less I believe. There are so many other forms of entertainment and ways to gather information nowadays.

The continual progression of more efficient ways to do 'things' in general has other second order consequences that may not truly be felt now, but in the future. Not anti technology, but more wary of what the consequences maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Waiting to cross the road at lunchtime, a dublin bus driver using the contra-flow lane on Stephen's Green east decides that he's too busy to wait behind a cyclist and so just mills the plastic bollards out of it as he overtakes.

Anyone know what the status is of that lane for cyclists?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

seamus wrote: »
    Waiting to cross the road at lunchtime, a dublin bus driver using the contra-flow lane on Stephen's Green east decides that he's too busy to wait behind a cyclist and so just mills the plastic bollards out of it as he overtakes.

Anyone know what the status is of that lane for cyclists?

I thought it was for bicycle use as well, although as you turn up Leeson St. at night you will find that the lights do not change for a bicycle (even with my steel beast waiting on the induction coils).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

More discussion here...

I love my techie stuff and I have a Kindle, but I still prefer proper books for the simple reason that if you really like one, you can pass it on to someone else to enjoy.

Also, it's difficult to get an author to sign a first edition copy of their work if it's on an electronic device.

Finally, friends family etc when they buy you a book can't inscribe it with the date and occasion if it's not in a physical format.

But I agree, the days of the physical book are numbered.

Contraflow bus lanes are not for use by cyclists. I think that's the long and the short of it.

EDIT:
    A person shall not enter a contra flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html

I guess taximeter cabriolets are also out.

I think they should do something to accommodate cyclists on that bus lane though. Even if just to join up with the cycle lane in the bus lane on Leeson Street.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I love my techie stuff and I have a Kindle, but I still prefer proper books for the simple reason that if you really like one, you can pass it on to someone else to enjoy.

I hate sounding like some kindle-fanboy, because I do love real books. I just think the vast majority of books I own have been one-off novels or factual books I digest and never look at again. Certain collectibles, a first edition lord of the rings, a signed copy of "Skippy Dies", etc. are all things I would like to or do own. But like I said, filling your entire luggage allowance with books is not fun.

I was delighted to see kids now taking ipads to schools in Dublin. How many little sub-4 footers do you see hauling bags as big themselves around town during the term? Have you tried selling on expensive school books at the end of the term? No one wants them because publishers release a "new edition" that just has a new cover or some redesigned pages and they aren't on the school syllabus.

If I was a child, spending 15 to 20 euro on a book would be a sizeable chunk of my allowance. We only ever really bought books when my grandparents would buy all the grandchildren book tokens at Christmas and take us out for what was a very fun "book lunch" in the week leading up to Christmas Day.

If I was a child, spending 15 to 20 euro on a book would be a sizeable chunk of my allowance. .

When I were a lad you were lucky to get 50p....

I was delighted to see kids now taking ipads to schools in Dublin Foxrock.

Fixed.

Lumen wrote: »
    Fixed.

Haw! Jerk, but this:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0829/breaking48.html
    Students at a Dublin school were issued with iPads instead of books at the start of term today.

Parents pay for the tablets over the child’s time at school - €150 each year – and they come with online material for all subjects studied by the first-year students.

According to Blake Hodkinson, principal at St Kevin's College in Crumlin, this system is 40 per cent cheaper than buying books. Until now the school has provided all books at a cost of €20,000 per year, with €4,000 of that contributed by families.

One of seven schools in Ireland issuing iPads to students, St Kevins is using material from Edco Digital which is automatically updated during the year.

Teachers at the school already work with interactive white-boards.

History and geography teacher Denise McLaughlin said it will make her classes more realistic. “It’d be good for geography. If I’m trying to explain about volcanoes, they can push a button and watch one erupting on screen now.”

However the students were the most excited people in the room.

“The iPad is better than books, you don’t have the heavy bags and it’s easier to organise everything,” said Peter Casey (12)

His classmate Pamela Gleide (13) was already at work, saying: “It’s whopper, there’s loads of apps on it. It’s less boring than books.”

History and geography teacher Denise McLaughlin said it will make her classes more realistic. “It’d be good for geography. If I’m trying to explain about volcanoes, they can push a button and watch one erupting on screen now.”

Handy for sex ed., I suppose.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Handy for sex ed., I suppose.
    they can push a button and watch one erupting on screen

:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement