Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Broomwagon (off topic chat)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

unionman wrote: »
    Unintentionally I find myself on the opposite side of the iphone fence with a PC and a Nokia E71. Gotta tell you this was not the 21st century I planned.

But the E71 is still pretty cool.

I can still wear a black polo neck and pretend to be Steve Jobs right?

got Mrs bcmf an iphone last xmas. She is now addicted to it. Borrowed it last mont when I accidentally murdered my own fone and although it is cool my fingers are just too big for that touchscreen malarky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

bcmf wrote: »
    got Mrs bcmf an iphone last xmas. She is now addicted to it. Borrowed it last mont when I accidentally murdered my own fone and although it is cool my fingers are just too big for that touchscreen malarky

if you get used to it that shouldn't really be too much of an issue, its pretty good at figuring out which button you ment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

if you get used to it that shouldn't really be too much of an issue, its pretty good at figuring out which button you ment....

sadly I am an impatient kinda guy.Didnt really have the patience to wait for it to learn what button I meant so I went for a qwerty keypad fone. Finding it much quicker then a normal keypad fone tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

l don't really want to open a new thread on a question that l'm sure has been asked many times before, but what is the best all round training tyre to use?

lt's for road use only, all year round training, no racing (yet)

So something that's fairly durable but at the same time has a bit of 'zip'

Some of the names l've seen bandied about.....

Vittoria Diamante Pro

Gatorskin

Armadillo

Any preference?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

there have been threads on it, and i'm not very experenced.... but iirc both gatorskin and armadillo are more puncture resistant than most but tend to have pretty poor grip. And winter/ireland for training purposes your better off with more grip , the conti gp4000's seem to be popular enough around here, or some ultremo's

Sorry, should have asked this first...

Wheel upgrade on the horizon

Should l go for Fulcrum 5's or Mavic Aksium's?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

bcmf wrote: »

Get yourself a dialing wand....
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

furiousox wrote: »
    Any preference?
    I've had no issue with grip on my gatorskins and have been running them for over 14 months without a puncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Gatorskins would get my vote. Running them since February....no punctures.
    Why did I buy 20 tubes from Ribble?:pac:...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Bontrager Hardcase 23/25ml tyre. Claimed Triple protection. Sound tyre and light (300gm) for what they do. Also come with dual compound ie, slick in the middle with a stickier outside for cornering. About e25.

furiousox wrote: »
    Sorry, should have asked this first...

Wheel upgrade on the horizon

Should l go for Fulcrum 5's or Mavic Aksium's?

bump

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

FULCRUMS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hey all, I'm in need of some local info, thebouldwhacker is coming to town. Yep gonna be in the big smoke... should I bring my passport??

What I really need to know is how to get to Blanchardstown? I'll be suited and booted so bringing my bike isnt an option;)
    I'll be traveling by train so I can get the Hughie Lewis into town but I'm stuck from there... any advice appreciated ie a bus number and where to board.

Thanks in advance:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Just walk from Hueston to Blackhall Place. 5min walk. Then get the 37 or 39.
    Exact fare only. About 2euro IIRC.
    Hey all, I'm in need of some local info, thebouldwhacker is coming to town. Yep gonna be in the big smoke... should I bring my passport??

What I really need to know is how to get to Blanchardstown? I'll be suited and booted so bringing my bike isnt an option;)
    I'll be traveling by train so I can get the Hughie Lewis into town but I'm stuck from there... any advice appreciated ie a bus number and where to board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭godihatethehils

Dublinbike! And hammer it up the N3 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It's a bit of a pain in the arse getting out to Blanchardstown. There is a 40D bus which runs from Parnell St. I got it once or twice before I got my bike up to town. So you'd get the Luas up to Abbey St, and walk down O'Connell st to Parnell st and get the 40D from there. There are other buses that run from O'Connell st, around Easons. It depends on whereabouts in Blanch you are going. If it's work/interview/meeting, a taxi from Heuston might be the easiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Is that not supposed to be "big scchhhmoke" ??

Gavin wrote: »
    a taxi from Heuston might be the easiest.

How much for a taxi you reckon?
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Is that not supposed to be "big scchhhmoke" ??

Only on the 6th of December:P
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Just walk from Hueston to Blackhall Place..

Wheres that again? I know it, just cant place it....

All good, I'm gonna grab a cab... easy pessi... lemon squeezy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's a bit of a pain in the arse getting out to Blanchardstown. There is a 40D bus which runs from Parnell St. I got it once or twice before I got my bike up to town. So you'd get the Luas up to Abbey St, and walk down O'Connell st to Parnell st and get the 40D from there. There are other buses that run from O'Connell st, around Easons. It depends on whereabouts in Blanch you are going. If it's work/interview/meeting, a taxi from Heuston might be the easiest.

The 40D doesn't go to Blanchardstown really, more so the outlining business parks and ends up in Tyrrelstown. Check out the Dublin bus website, there's a fair few buses going right through Blanchardstown Village or the centre, the 38/39 from what I can think of off hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

How much for a taxi you reckon?

I think I paid around 25 from O'Connell st out to Ballycoolin. Should be around the same from Heuston, if not less.

I think I paid around 25 from O'Connell st out to Ballycoolin. Should be around the same from Heuston, if not less.

Park is closed at Castleknock - that may bump the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Glitterangel76

Has Limerick started breeding Cyclists or is the affects of the Cycle to Work scheme?
    Was out in Ballina/Killaloe at the weekend, and there seemed to be guys on road bikes everywhere I looked...I was so shocked to see them that I even said Hi to two of them as they cycled past the bus stop in Birdhill :)

However they may have all been wearing full cycling gear, but no Boards kits, quite disapointed.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I see Sky Real Lives is showing My Big Fat Cycle Challenge tonight & tomorrow at 9.

Someone might be into watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Can someone (perhaps who can spriken zee doyche) tell me WTF is going on here? I know Jens isn't a sprinter, and that 200m is barely enough distance to clip in, yet alone unleash the watts, but still... how is this possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Chucking the comments into Babelfish didn't help, I did get this though:

"****!!!

all you haaters kan sukk my baallenhoffers!!!! "

Something about a military bike. Did I hear diesel too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I think the weight ( 19kg ?) of the 1920's black bike with momentum and Jens and his 7kg bike without being clipped in ... the distance being short, black bike man could not have kept it going for much longer whereas Jens would have built up more power and speed with more distance ... and errrr ... actually I don't know.<br />
    I hope your man crush hasn't suffered too much Tom.

I thought the reason they were focusing on the bike so much was that it was a showcase for some technology hidden in that funny tarp on the front triangle and showing how it can help an ordinary cyclist can beat a top level professional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

He's certainly not completely unfamiliar with racing that bike... Bizarre stuff. You can see he just pipped Eric Zabel to the line in the second photo.

militaern.jpgmilitaerh.jpg

From what I can gather the way it works is that the competitors have to make a bet and he bet he could beat Jens Voight over 200m on this 99 year old original Swiss military bike... then the audience bet either that he will or he won't. He won an Audi A5 apparently as a result. He said in an interview that he reckoned Jens would have had him over 500m :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The black bike has a TTMV1R.

Top Tube Mounted V1 Rocket

• Advertisement

Seeing as I am in an xkcd mood today, for all the geeks in here (i.e. everyone):

ohm.png

Wikipedian Protestor:
    wikipedian_protester.png

online_package_tracking.png

This one I am convinced is Lumen:

extrapolating.png

On the subject of general geekiness, I once read in New Scientist a theory about application of mathematics to wife selection, starting from the time of your first girlfriend.

It basically went something like this:

1. Decide on the age you want to get married.
    2. Multiply the time difference between first encounter and that age by some factor which <1, derived from optimisation theory, something like 0.7 IIRC. This gives the sampling cutoff point.
    3. Until the cutoff point, proceed to sample a wide range of candidates, but DO NOT COMMIT TO ANY OF THEM.
    4. After point T, marry the first woman who is better than any of the preceeding candidates, regardless of whether you think there is a better candidate out there.

I have since attempted to relocate the article, but failed. Ho hum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

niceonetom wrote: »
    Can someone (perhaps who can spriken zee doyche) tell me WTF is going on here? I know Jens isn't a sprinter, and that 200m is barely enough distance to clip in, yet alone unleash the watts, but still... how is this possible?

My German is shaky but I picked up enough while living in Zürich for basics (I was actually there as a French speaker, but that's for another day), yer man against Jens is a normal Swiss guy. The bike is 99 years old and weighs 27kg, Jens' bike weighs 7kg and is from 2009. Can't understand one word Jens says (I think he's from the back arse of no where). Wetten das means bet that as in bet that I can, so I assume the Swiss guy wrote in and said he could beat a pro over 200m on his Swiss military bike.
    Incidently the Swiss only recently got rid of their bicycle section in the army, I wonder if they could do a bike vs. tank on that show? Would anyone here be insane skillful enough to do it? :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

My ears were totally freezing this morning on the bike. My Assos jacket though is totally super. it costs like a month of super market looks like 10euro jacket from lidl but works perfectly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

AstraMonti wrote: »
    My ears were totally freezing this morning on the bike. My Assos jacket though is totally super. it costs like a month of super market looks like 10euro jacket from lidl but works perfectly!

Which one is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it wrong that I'm sitting here in work seeing the lovely sunny day outside and all I can think about is going down to the basement and taking my new bike out for a spin?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

alfalad wrote: »
    Which one is it?
    I had the Fugu on with just a base layer underneath. Having said that, the Airblock 851 would also have kept me cosy this morning:)

TBH on days like this I try and remember that its because of work I have the nice things, while without work you would be outside enjoying the sun, you wouldnt have the nice things. It s a work/life comprimise on your part... it would be nice to work half the hours for double the pay though:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

seamus wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I'm sitting here in work seeing the lovely sunny day outside and all I can think about is going down to the basement and taking my new bike out for a spin?

depends on your socio-economic outlook, some people have a problem with capitalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

If that's wrong, it's not worth being right.

• Advertisement

No!

Myself and another cyclist went out at lunchtime and took a couple of db's for a spind around the Dublin City Centre - it's a very nice day for it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My ears were totally freezing this morning on the bike.

You need one of these to match the jacket:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Assos_Stinger_Hat/5360039554/
    Hardly noticed the chill this morning:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I have myself a windproof Sealskinz skull cap, it's looks like a swimming cap when you don't have your helmet over it but it has great ear pieces and keeps me toasty.

http://www.sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/KJ631%7C%7C~@c~@b%7C0%7Cuser%7C1,0,0,1%7C53%7C

Nope, that's what my mind wanders to most days in work.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Beasty wrote: »

LOL, what's going on with that pic:

assos-stingerhat-med.jpg

Red, grey, yellow, black, blue: Male model
    White: Random ginger bloke from Wiggle stockroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Beasty wrote: »

One of these is not like the others...

assos-stingerhat-med.jpg

Can you spot Nigel-from-accounts as the stand-in model now that wiggle needs someone to show off their new white hat?

FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT TONTO YOU BAXTARD.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Too slow, Tom. Too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

alfalad wrote: »
    Which one is it?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38943

This one.. it was a gift (really..)

This one.. it was a gift (really..)

To Astramonti,

Happy...., eh......, Wednesday October 7th.

From Astramonti

• Advertisement

That's the (white) one you were sporting on Saturday? Very nice indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement