Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Broomwagon (off topic chat)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bcmf wrote: »
    how do you put the pic into the actual post

i right click on the website i found it goto properties and then copy the address url section the paste that into the insert image (some websites dont allow you to do this)

if you want to upload and show your own image upload it then preview the post the right click on the image link and do as above

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Like this?:

Dangermouse%20T%20shirt.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

On the subject of things you know to be true but can never quite accept....

Racks and panniers. Bloody brilliant invention.

I've completed the Pashley-fication of my cyclocross bike (yes, I know, I'm going to hell) with a Pletscher rack and pack.

My commute is now so much more pleasant without the backpack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »

I've completed the Pashley-fication of my cyclocross bike (yes, I know, I'm going to hell) with a Pletscher rack and pack.

I used to respect you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

While searching for ideas, I discovered not everyone loves Superman...so for a miserable Tuesday...heres a random question...who is your favourite SuperHero :)

I am my favourite superhero:

93653.jpg

Batman (two greatest movies ever!):

batman_begins_big_051018100848275_wideweb__300x371,1.jpg

Not this one:

And of course (if you are of my vintage), the Tick:

tick-graphic.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

LMAO at that Batman clip :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

In other news, I got my replacement Cervelo, complete with a sexy new 3T seat post. The original FSA one won't fit as they have made the seat tube narrower in order to shave off 70grams. Well pleased today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Simple_Simpson.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Raam wrote: »
    In other news, I got my replacement Cervelo, complete with a sexy new 3T seat post. The original FSA one won't fit as they have made the seat tube narrower in order to shave off 70grams. Well pleased today.

where are the photos you big tease? ;)

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »
    where are the photos you big tease? ;)

I'll have to snap a few this evening. Contemplating sticking it in the attic for the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

High 5 ! Did the same, although with a quick release rack and super cheap panniers from CRC.

I have found that the increased mass leads to actually finding it easier to get up slopes.....!? I'm guessing it's the increased momentum + fixie flywheel effect. On the other hand, when stopped, the increased downward weight on the back makes it quite awkward to hold on the front brakes, lift the rear wheel and rotate the pedals.

Gavin wrote: »
    High 5 ! Did the same, although with a quick release rack and super cheap panniers from CRC.

I have found that the increased mass leads to actually finding it easier to get up slopes.....!? I'm guessing it's the increased momentum + fixie flywheel effect. On the other hand, when stopped, the increased downward weight on the back makes it quite awkward to hold on the front brakes, lift the rear wheel and rotate the pedals.

I'm pretty sure I still own some really nice fully waterproof panniers from 15 years ago. I'm just not sure where I put them. So I bought the rack pack.

I am much enjoying the increased mass too. It's very strange, but it feels smoother. Haven't done any hills yet, but planning on starting to take the long route home a couple of days a week....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I too have setup my bike in full winter mode and fitted the lifeline rack I bought last year. Great not to have a bag on my back, but high speed sprints from the lights are now more difficult due to the pendulum effect created by the heavier rear wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Raam goes away and you people start adding Rack and Panniers.... the shame of it all embarasses me. I may never ride again.

Raam goes away and you people start adding Rack and Panniers.... the shame of it all embarasses me. I may never ride again.

It looks like I have my work cut out for me.
    Well, as a start, here is my new seat post...

3t-doric-team-med.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

We'll have you on hub gears before the year is out!

Then all that remains is to get you fitted for tweed plus fours. :D

Joking aside, I really can't understand why people commute with backpacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Doctor Bob wrote: »

I feel the same way about panniers. If I was doing a James Bowthorpe, I'd want some. Otherwise, not.

I know not everyone does this, but I sometimes wonder what the hell some folk carry to work that they need two large pannier bags. Sure each to their own I suppose.

I know not everyone does this, but I sometimes wonder what the hell some folk carry to work that they need two large pannier bags. Sure each to their own I suppose.

Yeah, completely agree.

I think I lost my water bottle in between the lights before work and starting work. After a thorough search I haven't been able to find it.

Sucks but I suppose I should go order some stuff so...

Dónal wrote: »
    I think I lost my water bottle in between the lights before work and starting work. After a thorough search I haven't been able to find it.

You bring a water bottle to work? Is your office at the top of the Tourmalet or something? ;)

• Advertisement

Hey, on a monday I bring it my change of clothes for the week and my bunch of bananas + orange juice! The following days is a lighter load, usually puncture crap. Maybe a towel. Maybe some spare clothes in case I get soaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because I couldn't be bothered having to fit & remove the panniers when I do & don't need them on the bike.
    And I've to bring in a change of clothes every day; No locker facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

We'll have you on hub gears before the year is out!

Then all that remains is to get you fitted for tweed plus fours. :D

I have commuted for 5yrs or so with a range of small backpacks. I cant see what the bother is tbh.
    Would I cycle for 4hrs with one, no. But 30mins it is no bother, and also means I can use my road bike to commute - which means I can head for a spin afer work if the mood takes me.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have commuted for 5yrs or so with a range of small backpacks. I cant see what the bother is tbh.
    Would I cycle for 4hrs with one, no. But 30mins it is no bother, and also means I can use my road bike to commute - which means I can head for a spin afer work if the mood takes me.

Well, obviously using a backpack is fine and all, but cycling around with a backpack on a bike with rack mounts doesn't make much sense, particularly when you have a rack in the shed. :)

The only downside (and it's a biggie) is that I've had to give up bunnyhopping for fear of busting my laptop.

@Lumen - laptop would make a diff all right. If I was carrying laptop to work, I would not use a backpack.

I carry, spare shirt, undies, cash and phone. Suits, shoes, towels in work. We have a laundry service in work which is great. We are set up for bike commuting, and yet out of 55 of us only 3 use bikes. Great showers etc.

Backpack is fine for travelling light, but thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm also a big fan of panniers but I honestly wouldn't want to put a laptop in them. The general road vibration and knocks are not good for it. As a student I broke a laptop in a pannier just from general cycling, screen connection jiggled loose- and this was in a dedicated laptop pannier. If you do put one in there, I'd wrap it in something to insulate the vibrations.

I take my clothes for the week in on them and often do shopping etc... Unless I am doing a big shop I just take one pannier.

Agree though that the weight of a laptop in a backpack is really annoying, I went through a phase of using tiny 1kg laptops (Sony Picturebook) but I currently have a quite big one for work so ended up stopping bringing it home.

blorg wrote: »

I take my clothes for the week in on them and often do shopping etc... Unless I am doing a big shop I just take one pannier.

I thought that your aero bars were to balance the shopping?

ROK ON wrote: »
    I thought that your aero bars were to balance the shopping?
    If that is the bike I am on the aero bars are indeed good for balancing the shopping, they work well with the laundry too. Only really comfortable for short distances though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Dublin City Marathon have filled their quota for cyclists. Shame, always wanted to do a marathon and id be up with the elite athletes too. Shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I wouldn't wear a backpack no how. Hot sweaty back no thanks.

I have a 10 litre rack pack permanently on the bike. Wet gear, lock, patches, levers, first aid kit, multitool.

Then I have a click on/off panier with clothes, lunch, towel etc.

In the summer I use a small bar bag in place of the panier.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Used to use a backpack all the time, but now go to the office at the weekend (which is near where I take the kids horseriding) to drop off clothes for the week. I also have a "cycling wardrobe" at the office, with spare cycling clothes and shoes.

The only things I now normally carry in the saddlebag/pockets are a couple of spare tubes, multi tool, levers, rainjacket, cash/credit card, phone, blackberry, security pass and rainjacket (if I am not wearing it).

I will occasionally still use the backpack - it doesn't bother me, and the extra weight adds to the exercise I am getting

seamus wrote: »
    Because I couldn't be bothered having to fit & remove the panniers when I do & don't need them on the bike.
    And I've to bring in a change of clothes every day; No locker facilities.

Fit and remove? Not with my trusty Ortliebs! Clicking them in place is even less effort than putting on a backpack. They're not ideal for manual carrying, but I only use them on the morning and evening commute. (Generally have only one on any given day.)

I usually carry waterproofs, high-viz vest, toolkit, a couple of shopping bags and a satchel with daily accoutrements (diary, book, mobile, wallet, etc.). Plus spare clothes, shoes, etc. if the weather calls for it, as it did today. I could often get away with just a bag on my back, but it'd be pretty heavy, and a) I don't like the sweat pressing against me, and b) I have a bad back (disc surgery 5 years ago).

You bring a water bottle to work? Is your office at the top of the Tourmalet or something? ;)

I used to! Nah, I drink out of it all day long. And other people in work certainly give me weird looks, since the one I lost was a Maximuscle bottle. Ah well, my Wiggle bottle will have to do for the time being.

Was cursing another cyclist earlier - came very close to crashing into another guy who cut across me violently on the way home. Guy 'indicated' a split second before cutting across me which caused me to brake sharply.

On the backpacks thing, I used to wear one to college and also until recently for work but I've had trouble with my back before so I'm very happy putting very little weight on my back.

Saw the famous but now converted to commuter banana bike at the Portobello Bridge junction at 8:05am today.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Rode behind a guy this morning who had the most spectacularly out of true rear wheel. Was kind of hypnotic to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Saw the famous but now converted to commuter banana bike at the Portobello Bridge junction at 8:05am today.

This is what I read:

Saw the famous but now converted to commuter banana bike at the Pinarello Bridge junction at 8:05am today.

Time to leave this forum I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Business opportunity for all you dragons! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055708611

CPL 593H

Hey, it's still famous ! Back in the running eh, I better start getting more sightings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Call me shallow but buying a nice bike and putting panniers on it is like buying a Ferrari and putting a roof rack and your own body kit on it :D

I carry a laptop in a Deuter backpack(as recommended on here) a couple of times a week and have no issues with it, with a decent backpack the weight on your back should be distributed well so it's not an issue, some have vents for you back too but the effectiveness of them may be questionable.

I get a sweaty back without a backpack anyway as I use my cycle as a workout rather than a simple commute so it's not an issue for me.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    Call me shallow but buying a nice bike and putting panniers on it is like buying a Ferrari and putting a roof rack and your own body kit on it :D

Whereas buying a nice bike and cycling it with a backpack is like wearing a drinking hat whilst driving your Ferrari because there are no cupholders.

thirstred800w.jpg

I don't have a rack on either of my road bikes, my racer fixed gear or my MTB; I do have one however on my fixed commuter, my geared commuter, my tourer, and my hack bike. Doesn't everyone?

I have a nice bike. It came with a back carrier fitted- for the purpose of attaching panniers, I assume. Do you mean a nice road/cyclocross/etc. bike?

If I were being nippy (I'm not!), I'd ask why you'd buy a Ferrari if you were driving to the shops for the groceries. Surely a family saloon would be better? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'd ask why you'd buy a Ferrari if you were driving to the shops for the groceries. Surely a family saloon would be better? ;)

Don't be ridiculous, if I could buy a Ferrari I'd hardly be doing my own shopping would I ! That'll be the skivvies job, and I wouldn't care how he managed to get there and back, if he tried giving me any excuses I'd fire him or her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Im not sure what topic this would belong in so its going here

I was in TK Maxx in Stephens green on Monday and they were selling a Tour de france Yellow Jersey.

this one i thinks
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/product-images-large/nike-tdf-leaders-jersey-38714.jpg

Im neither that good nor very interested in yellow so they were left there

Saw a ~50 year old woman break a red light on the way home, go around a car in front of me on the left (traffic was at a standstill), then go straight ahead as a taxi was in the middle of a 3 point turn. Saw the taxi reverse towards the path of the woman, taxi either stopped in time because they saw her or was ready to turn. She was inches away from being hit. Was one of those 'oh****oh****oh****' moments where you thought something was going to happen. Woman just continued on, no idea if she saw how close she was to being hit or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Leaves: they're slippy.

niceonetom wrote: »

Did nice one tom have a niceaultumble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

i was out in the rain doing lance laps in the park yesterday and they are everywhere. They are probably a Tim Allen invention to Sabbotage cycling. Bloody cycling haters!

My new messenger style bag won't stay in place on my back, grrr.
    It keeps moving around. Feckin yoke.

niceonetom wrote: »
    i was out in the rain doing lance laps in the park yesterday and they are everywhere. They are probably a Tim Allen invention to Sabbotage cycling. Bloody cycling haters!

Leaves: bad for trains, bad for cyclists.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement