Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the An Taoiseach?

Options
  • 28-09-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

The popularity of this government is at historic lows.
    Their credibility is nil, while they scupper about trying to defend -
    Pay-offs to FAS bosses.
    Bail-outs to bankers.
    Massive cuts in health & education.
    Cuts in social welfare, including child benefits.
    & on it goes ..

Yet they will not debate, in length & on live TV, the Lisbon Treaty with members of the NO campaign.

Their strategy for this re-run of the Lisbon Treaty, already voted on & decided by the Irish Electorate, was to scare the bejasus out of us by telling us that the Lisbon Treaty would bring jobs & economic recovery, while throwing mud at Declan Ganley & others who have entered the fray in good faith.

Who do they think we are?

An Taoiseach is badly mistaken if he thinks we can be bought by fear & soundbites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

rebelmind wrote: »
    Pay-offs to FAS bosses.
    Bail-outs to bankers.
    & on it goes ..

Yet they will not debate, in length & on live TV, the Lisbon Treaty with members of the NO campaign.

Their strategy for this re-run of the Lisbon Treaty, already voted on & decided by the Irish Electorate, was to scare the bejasus out of us by telling us that the Lisbon Treaty would bring jobs & economic recovery, while throwing mud at Declan Ganley & others who have entered the fray in good faith.

An Taoiseach is badly mistaken if he thinks we can be bought by fear & soundbites.

How about - who cares? Vote on the Treaty.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Pay-offs to FAS bosses.
    Bail-outs to bankers.
    & on it goes ..

Excellent points made here. They can't sell the Treaty to the public so instead the resort to

fear tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Scofflaw wrote: »

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Excellent retort there...... you must be tired after all that thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Excellent points made here. They can't sell the Treaty to the public so instead the resort to

fear tactics.

Fear is definitely apart of modern politics here in Ireland today. It has been in other countries for quite a while and it is to our credit that it has only sullied our shores fairly recently. Both sides are using fear. While there may not be any thing technically wrong with it is hardly the most desirable influence upon an election campaign. I think it is obvious that both sides are using the fear card, fighting fire with fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is everyone with less than <100 a No voter?
    Is politics.ie closed?

• Advertisement

Pay-offs to FAS bosses.
    Bail-outs to bankers.
    & on it goes ..

badly mistaken if he thinks we can be bought by fear & soundbites.

Do irony much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

efb wrote: »
    Is everyone with less than <100 a No voter?

And reward for most childish quote of the day goes to .... EFB!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TallaghtD24

Why are you all making it so complicated? Even the latest EU hand out in the National papers explains it very simply.

Skipping a bit....

We had the Treaty of Maastericht in 1992

Treaty of Amsterdam in 1997

Treaty of Nice in 2001 ( Yeah I know..)

In 2004 The New EU constitution for Europe was signed off in Rome.

In May & June 2005 France and The Netherlands rejected the Treaty/Constitution by a Democratic Referendum.

In December 2007 The Lisbon treaty was signed off, in theory, by the 27 member states.

From 2007 too 2009 ( Lisbon passed by 26 out of 27 parliamentry approvals/Not votes taken to the people)

June 2008 Ireland Votes NO to Lisbon treaty.

Till now, Eu figures out some way of Passing the Lisbon Treaty that was rejected by Ireland.

A similar document they amended to bypass previous referendum defeats like France and the Nederlands..

Vote?

The The's were a great band
    (I'll explain that one later for the slower ones!- hope they got the 2 less thans)

but iI'm too excited with the prize from the noob!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Pay-offs to FAS bosses.
    Bail-outs to bankers.
    & on it goes ..

If he was out on the campaign trail you'd be screaming about that instead. Who gives a ****e what the useless fecker thinks.

Here's some people who might actually matter that are supporting a Yes vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Scofflaw wrote: »

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but aren't you one of the people who's been arguing that we should also vote on the wider ramifications (confidence from investors, borrowing costs, etc) of our votes? Or am I confusing you with someone else? (I'll delete this if I'm wrong, don't worry)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There's that bit in the charter about not insulting other posters. It's actually one of the more important parts of the charter. Kindly keep it in mind when posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TallaghtD24

sceptre wrote: »
    There's that bit in the charter about not insulting other posters. It's actually one of the more important parts of the charter. Kindly keep it in mind when posting.

I can't see any infraction pics? Yellow or red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

As a dyslexic I am one of the worst offenders on this forum when it comes the spelling and grammar.

But really, 'The An Taioseach'??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    As a dyslexic I am one of the worst offenders on this forum when it comes the spelling and grammar.

But really, 'The An Taioseach'??

If that is the worts mistake/error/inaccuracy today in this forum I think we can thank our lucky stars;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but aren't you one of the people who's been arguing that we should also vote on the wider ramifications (confidence from investors, borrowing costs, etc) of our votes? Or am I confusing you with someone else? (I'll delete this if I'm wrong, don't worry)

I would be very interested to hear what ramifications the vote would have on issues such as Nama, FAS payoffs, social welfare and child benefits.

Perhaps you could take each of the above areas and compare and contrast the difference impacts that a yes or a no vote on Lisbon would have on each.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Indeed and I'm sure when the general election comes round and we can get rid of the feckers that will do wonders for confidence. In the meantime we can only do what's right for the country by voting Yes to this EU treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Pay-offs to FAS bosses.
    Bail-outs to bankers.
    & on it goes ..

To be honest I think this is actually a smart(as smart as one would expect) from his highness An Taoiseach. I think he realizes he is pretty much hated by most people at the moment, and he does not want the hatred of the country for him and his party, to blind people into voting No at the polls. He is not opening his mouth on the matter and hoping people will use their heads not hearts, and hoping the decision that people make is in line with is own hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

sceptre wrote: »

I haven't yet been insulted, by my intelligence (for which I make no great claims) has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Mrmoe wrote: »
    If that is the worts mistake/error/inaccuracy today in this forum I think we can thank our lucky stars;)

We should expose these errors.. worts and all;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement