Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween

Options
  • 28-09-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

So... that time is starting again. Already the "wishes & whooshed" are being heard, driving my westie mad. Me, I can barely hear a "whoosh", but it gets her barking, at, well, nothing. And if we do let her out the back to bark, sure, she'll hear more fireworks to bark at.

My question ins: does anyone know of anything to stop dogs from hearing fireworks, or even just to get them to ignore the sound of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I too would be interested, our 3 year old (tomorrow!) doesn't care less about them
    But our new pup (well she's 9months 2moro) is woofing low when she hears some of them, and I wonder what it'll be like when they get worse.

Obviously keeping them in, tvs on (maybe drown out the noise) and trying to keep em calm, but I too would be interested in peoples methods :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Our dog is 8 years old now and nothing works. Every single year, it's the same thing. We generally turn up the telly and try to ignore him, pretend that nothing is happening, but it doesn't work. I suppose he'll never learn to live with them, which is terrible because Halloween seems to be starting earlier and earlier each year! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Happy birthday to your 3yo. Harley was a big 1 yesterday. :( He's getting big so quickly.

Anyway, coz he's just 1 now, this will be our first year with him for halloween, he doesn't take very well to sudden noises. Last night he ran up and down the graden barking with the hair up on his back. He wouldn't come in, wouldn't quieten down, just frantic barking. I had to run up after him and make hin come in. I'm dreading the next month and a bit.

I've heard rescue remedy could work. Has anyone tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

What has worked for me with my cats over the years is to completely ignore them if they react to a firework - no eye contact, no talking to them, no petting them, etc. I think if they see me not reacting they think there is nothing to react to! If they hear a firework now I can see their ears twitch so I know they are listening to it but they usually don't even bother to open their eyes!! My friend did this with her Westie and now the dog does not react at all to fireworks or thunder.

Not sure if this would work with an older dog or cat, might be something you need to do when they are puppies/kittens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

You can get soundtracks of fireworks etc. especially to condition dogs and cats to get used to the noise. I think the idea is to start playing it low and then work your way up the volume and they slowly get used to it.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Firework-Sound-THERAPY-CD-Dog-Training-Fireworks_W0QQitemZ300351461629QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item45ee5798fd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Luckily my guy isn't scared of loud noises, but he had severe child phobia after his first Halloween two years ago after some stupid neighbour's kid decided to run at him with his loud light up wailing mask on. Luckily he got over it after a few months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I've heard rescue remedy is quite good and also dog appeasing pheremone (DAP) which relaxes them in distressing environments.
    I have the DAP and it works wonders for Gunnar in environments he's not used to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Blueprint wrote: »
    You can get soundtracks of fireworks etc. especially to condition dogs and cats to get used to the noise. I think the idea is to start playing it low and then work your way up the volume and they slowly get used to it.

These can work brilliantly, you would need to start pretty soon to get your dog used to the noises before the big bangs start going off. Def worth a try.

DAP or anxiety drops (in their water) can really help calm them down when stressful situations arise, also worth a go.

Good luck - hopefully this year won't be too bad for you (and your pooch)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

[quote Luckily my guy isn't scared of loud noises, but he had severe child phobia after his first Halloween two years ago after some stupid neighbour's kid decided to run at him with his loud light up wailing mask on. Luckily he got over it after a few months...[/quote]

Next time stupid neighbours kid comes to your door saying 'help the halloween party or whatever'..have your own mask on..take their bag of goodies from em and shut the door in their face...!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I might get this for the dog http://funny.picturepie.com/images/best_dog_halloween_costume_ever.jpg so he can be scary instead of scared.

When you say anxiety drops, are the ones for people ok to give to a dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Helena that is class! Think Jasper is a bit short for it though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

jen_23 wrote: »
    I've heard rescue remedy is quite good and also dog appeasing pheremone (DAP) which relaxes them in distressing environments.
    I have the DAP and it works wonders for Gunnar in environments he's not used to :)
    Rescue remedy in their water does help alright - and I've seen the DAP in action with Gunnar :D

Another (drastic) option that worked for us even though it wasn't our original intention, was to move relatively near to a quarry. :pac: The constant blasting soon had our dog immune to it, so even when we were in the city on Halloween night he was grand with the fireworks and bangers going off :D

Not looking forward to the puppy's reaction, but have both RR & DAP at the ready ;)

Advertisement