Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A night in Dublin Airport

Options
  • 28-09-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I live in Cork but I have a 5am flight from the Dublin airport on Thu 1st October. After checking all possible buses, coaches, trains etc. it seems that I have no choice but to spend the whole night in the Dublin airport... Not looking forward to that at all, especially that I have never been there.

Do you have any advice where to go/not go once I'm there? Any places open all night etc.?

Is anybody going to be spending the same night there? Maybe we can meet up and at least we'll have somebody to talk to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

you would get a hotel close by for 50 euro per room - there are a good few around, and they might even have shuttles to the terminal.. Wouldnt fancy a night in there!

The bar is open all night;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There will always be a few people in same situation like yourslf OP just as long as you dont decide to do a Tom Hanks ( the man not the gesture ) and decide to stay :pac:

If you dont get to chat to anybody just get your head down on the seats for afew hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Do you have any advice where to go/not go once I'm there? Any places open all night etc.?

You could go to the toilet again and again:p..there is little to do in Dublin airport by day or by night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Do not do it.

Absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Book a room at the nearby Bewleys, they have a free 24 hour shuttle service to the airport.

You'd be crazy to stay at the airport all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 zendo

Thanks for the answers so far.

Is it really that bad guys?
    Do you think it's worth it to book a hotel/B&B even though my flight is at 5am, so i'd have to be back in the airport at 4am anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

zendo wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers so far.

Is it really that bad guys?
    Do you think it's worth it to book a hotel/B&B even though my flight is at 5am, so i'd have to be back in the airport at 4am anyway?

If you're staying in a hotel I'd probably arrive in Dublin earlier if possible and get the shuttle to the airport... Days Hotel in Ballymun do great deals and the shuttle bus is 24 hours. (I know because I used to live on the ground floor of an apartment opposite the entrance and the feckin bus startin up every half hour was unbearable!)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

just head out to the airport at midnight with a book, there are tons of pple out in the airport at night,and theres internet out there, 3 am ish u'll be checkin in , its really no big deal.

Spartan1, do they have wireless internet there or just those paystations where you need to put a €2 coin to surf the net? I'm thinking of taking your advice and just hanging out there for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

as far as I know they do yep

see

http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/facilities-services/Internet_Access.html

seriously , its grand out there, as long as your not a seven year old girl...or eight....or nine...orrrrr

• Advertisement

I'm a girl alrite, but 26 not seven so i suppose I'll be fine. Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

zendo wrote: »
    I'm a girl alrite, but 26 not seven so i suppose I'll be fine. Thanks for the help!

shouldnt you call yourself Zenda not Zendo?..Look you'll be fine in Dublin airport and perfectly safe, maybe you need to put in a few hours of boredom, we all have to do it at some point. A good book, ipod full of music, some puzzles even, or top up on your mobile phone..you'll be surprised who you might meet on yr travels, maybe someone in your own situation, I meet wonderful people while travelling. Airports are generally safe

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

If you get the very last train from Cork City to Dublin City, it'll have you there at 11.15 AFAIK, then catch one of the Aircoach busses (i think you might have to get the LUAS to O' Connell St. for that) they run every 15 mins up untill 1 am i think and by the time you get to the airport it'll be 12 or quarter past. That only leaves 3 or 4 hours and you should be able to pass that easy enough either with an iPod and a good book or by getting a couple of hours shuteye.

*Dont take my word for the bus or train times, I'm 90% certan they are right but i dont want to be responsible for you missing your flight ha, give them a quick google first*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bring a laptop, there is a good 3G recepton, plenty of plug sockets about. Boards will keep you entertained for the night. The lads need all the help they can in counting up to a million. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

I can't find it now but there's a website where people can review overnight facilities in airports. Dublin rated quite badly because there are no bench seats and they play the security announcements all night long so sleep can be hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

http://sleepinginairports.net/europe/dublin.htm

It's a very funny site, particularly the "worst airports" section. Thankfully Dublin doesn't feature in that list. It's only terrible from around 5 am onwards :)

Thanks for all the answers! I'm heading there tonight so, I decided not to book a B&B and I'll see how it goes. The website you provided is great, I'm going to log in there and put in my opinion once i spend few hours in the Dublin airport.

Wish you all a good weekend (mine starts tonight) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The security announcements are very annoying in the dead of night. They run 24hrs but are generally unnoticable when the airport is busy. It is at it's quietest between 2am and 3am. After that, things begin picking up again.

EDIT: OP if you wish to pass the time by people watching, go downstairs to arrivals until 1am/2am. Departures will be very quiet from 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Just bring a book. I've spent plenty of nights in airports and while not an enjoyable experience, its not too bad. No need to pay for a hotel for a 5am flight, realistically you need to be in the airport for 3am for your flight anyway so just get the latest public transport from Cork and you'll only have a few hours to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You have to pay for the wifi in the airport, don't you? It's by the hour, not Bitbuzz, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

How did it go zendo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Holsten wrote: »
    Do not do it.

Absolute nightmare.

I did it before and it was awful. Now I'm in the same situation again. Any hotel which is withing easy walking distance of the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

mike kelly wrote: »
    I did it before and it was awful. Now I'm in the same situation again. Any hotel which is withing easy walking distance of the airport?

SAS Raddison and the Clarion are on the airport campus itself and literally within a few minutes walk from both terminal buildings. There are several other hotels and B+B's within 15 minutes drive away so all in all, you won't be stuck for a bed if you look around a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Bewleys or Crowne Plaza

angel01 wrote: »
    Bewleys or Crowne Plaza

Bewley's is 4 miles away as is the Plaza. They do run courtesy buses which is a help.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    SAS Raddison and the Clarion are on the airport campus itself and literally within a few minutes walk from both terminal buildings. There are several other hotels and B+B's within 15 minutes drive away so all in all, you won't be stuck for a bed if you look around a little.

Premier Inn Dublin Airport looks like a good option, special offer of 39 euro per room and seems to be beside the coach park which is where I would be arriving

Premier Inn Dublin Airport looks like a good option, special offer of 39 euro per room and seems to be beside the coach park which is where I would be arriving

It's a decent price; yeah. Just slip into the Quickpark for a bus transfer ;)

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It's a decent price; yeah. Just slip into the Quickpark for a bus transfer ;)

why do I need a bus transfer if the hotel is beside the coach park?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

why do I need a bus transfer if the hotel is beside the coach park?

because it is not beside the coach park.

Clarion and SAS Radisson are within the airport complex and are walkable, anything else will require a bus or taxi.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    because it is not beside the coach park.

Clarion and SAS Radisson are within the airport complex and are walkable, anything else will require a bus or taxi.

yes, you are right and Google maps is wrong!

Advertisement