Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A night in Dublin Airport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Bewley's is 4 miles away as is the Plaza. They do run courtesy buses which is a help.
    It can't be anywhere near 4 miles from the airport to Bewley's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

http://sleepinginairports.net/europe/dublin.htm

It's a very funny site, particularly the "worst airports" section. Thankfully Dublin doesn't feature in that list. It's only terrible from around 5 am onwards :)

It gave Frankfurt best runner up in Europe.
    Spent 14 hours there once, it was not good to sleep in, the seats sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

murphaph wrote: »

Probably 2-2.5 I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Holiday Inn Express generally has some good rates in Northwood, and they run a shuttle to the airport from early morning. Comfy hotel, and not too bad service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

3 miles, that near enough to 4 miles!

There is also a B&B at the old entrance which is cheap as chips and you can walk to the terminal in 5 minutes or hop on one of the car park buses.

http://goo.gl/maps/hyjl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

From door to door, it would clock up to a little over 5KM; a little over 3 miles.

Took the liberty of Google maps to check it out just now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

luckat wrote: »
    You have to pay for the wifi in the airport, don't you? It's by the hour, not Bitbuzz, I think.

If you have eircom broadband at home (the higher speed packages) you have free wifi in Dublin airport. But you have to register and get a username and password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://sleepinginairports.net/europe/dublin.htm

It's a very funny site, particularly the "worst airports" section. Thankfully Dublin doesn't feature in that list. It's only terrible from around 5 am onwards :)

Pretty accurate

And gave Roma the terrible review it deserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I had to do something similar earlier this year. I just sat upstairs watching the tv across from macdonalds. All the airport staff were there too, watching a world cup match. Go for a few walks n what not. There really isnt much else to do. There was still a few people around the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Alpha Papa

The reason there are no bench seats in Dublin Airport is because they dont want to attract people to stay or sleep over in the terminal. It is not a hotel, an airport is designed for people come to and go not to stay.

But saying that It is permitted but only if you hold a valid confirmed flight/boarding card for departure the next day.

Both uniformed and plain clothes members of the Airport Police do frequently patrols and can be seen conducting checks around the building during the early hours and will check members of the public, who are over nighting in the terminal and will request boarding cards/flight confirmation details to make sure they are legit. So make sure you have some form of it on you just in case.

Police will wake you up when operations begin starting up again around 5am, as its a airport and they dont want people sprawled out across the floor with people taking up the area or taking over more then one chair etc..

You should feel safe staying the night. My advice is maybe have a walk around first before you decide where your going to sleep/sit choose some where well lit and with enough people around.

If you have any concern on your safety contact

Airport Police Emergency Line on : 01-8144300

check out www.dublinairport.com it has a map of T1 and info on services at night time. wifi is not free and best way is to purchase via credit card when you get there. The connection is should come up as "eircom" dont connect to any other as they may not be secure. There are plenty of plugs around.

Before you go for sleep, you should try find out your check in area for the morning either from DAA customer service staff in pink or from main info board. Importantly try and get through passenger security screening early to avoid queues and relax airside, as in my opinion it's quieter and defo more relaxed.

Hope this helps. I always find one of them flight sleep masks the best way to sleep at airports as they black everything out. Make sure to secure valuables on your person and not in your baggage in case you fall asleep and there stolen or tampered with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Alpha Papa wrote: »
    Before you go for sleep, you should try find out your check in area for the morning either from DAA customer service staff in pink or from main info board. Importantly try and get through passenger security screening early to avoid queues and relax airside, as in my opinion it's quieter and defo more relaxed..

Glad i dont work that job :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Glad i dont work that job :eek:

Why so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike kelly wrote: »
    Premier Inn Dublin Airport looks like a good option, special offer of 39 euro per room and seems to be beside the coach park which is where I would be arriving

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It's a decent price; yeah. Just slip into the Quickpark for a bus transfer ;)
    I think you're confusing it with The Carlton which is nextdoor to Quickpark. The Premier Inn is up in Airside (near Swords).
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    because it is not beside the coach park.

Clarion and SAS Radisson are within the airport complex and are walkable, anything else will require a bus or taxi.
    All hotels in the Airport and near the Airport have courtesy shuttle busses. There's no need to walk or get alternative transport to any of them.

Advertisement