Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter for Grant

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I need some kind of 'Letter of Confirmation' from the college to show that I am actually doing a course in UCD for a grant. It needs to be stamped so I cant use the online one. Anybody know where I might get this? If so directions to the building would be handy too:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Just go to the Student Desk in the Tierney Building - they can give you a stamped letter. Tierney Building - the one near the AIB, opposite Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Help desk will not do it as they don't have access to all necessary info, apparently! Have heard lots of bitching and moaning about it.
    Go to your school office instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

They stamped mine for me in the Tierney building last year with no problem, all I had to do was show my student card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Fill out this form and bring it to the student desk in the Tierney building, they'll give you the letter you need there and then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I worked on the student desk in the summer and my job was basically giving out these letters.

The form Chet linked to is the correct from. What you want is called a letter of attendance. Say on it if you want your term or permanent address (Permanent I guess you want).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I worked on the student desk in the summer and my job was basically giving out these letters.

The form Chet linked to is the correct from. What you want is called a letter of attendance. Say on it if you want your term or permanent address (Permanent I guess you want).

Can you get this letter after having paid the 157.50 (but not yet the 1500) and are currently doing the course as normal and attending?

I wish all people on the help desk were as competent and nice as you ...

They point blank refused to give my friend a letter or to sign and stamp the form (they're doing a postgrad) for the last two years (and they went there during the summer, so it's not as if the help desk was swamped with people with queries, either). My friend just went up to the school office instead where they were more than happy to help. It seems to be hit-and-miss with the people who are on at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sachor

convert wrote: »
    I wish all people on the help desk were as competent and nice as you ...

They point blank refused to give my friend a letter or to sign and stamp the form (they're doing a postgrad) for the last two years (and they went there during the summer, so it's not as if the help desk was swamped with people with queries, either). My friend just went up to the school office instead where they were more than happy to help. It seems to be hit-and-miss with the people who are on at any given time.

If the student desk refused to give your friend a letter it would have been because they were not fully registered. If they went during the summer regarding a letter for the following academic year the staff ARE NOT ALLOWED give out letters as the student has not a) registered & enrolled online or b) paid any fees. The fact that they were busy or not busy would play no part on whether your friends form was stamped

My friend is registered for a PhD programme and is going into year 2, so it's not like it was just a one year course. The fact that they had only paid fees was not the reason cited (my friend had specifically asked this question). The guy said that the help desk did not stamp forms for HEA grants and that it was up to the individual schools to do it. They also refused to stamp my brother's form when he went in to them in mid September (having already fully registered and paid the fees for his course!).

Is there a certain date from which Help Desk staff are permitted to stamp forms for HEA grants or is it just done if the student has registered/paid fees?

Are you talking about the student helpdesk in the Tierney Bulding? Because if you care to wander in you'll see that they spend half the day stamping forms! As long as the student is fully registered any forms they bring in can be stamped all year round.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it was the 'help desk' in the Tierney building and I know at least 8 people (all postgrads, and all but one of whom called over to them in September) who had 'help desk' staff refuse to stamp their grant application forms.

I know that the 'help desk' staff do their best, and I'm not trying to have a go at them; it's a tedious job dealing with the public/students, most of whom are probably anxious/stressed as a vast number of students only ever go there because they are encountering difficulties, but it is quite frustrating for postgrad students to experience problems getting their grant forms stamped, with no obvious reason cited - they were registered and had paid their fees - instead having to go to their school office instead so as to make the deadline for their grant application.

If the forms are being stamped now, then that's great and it will undoubtedly put the minds of the vast number of students who are applying for HEA grants at ease.

Most PhD's get their fees paid by internal transfer from their school so if that hadnt come through they cant get their forms stamped. Other than that I'm coming up short as to a reason! This is not the norm by any means. There are many MANY grant forms being stamped at the moment so students should go there & not their school

These were students who are not in receipt of external/internal funding of any kind, hence the urgency/necessity of getting their grant form stamped and submitted in time.... So unfortunately that doesn't help solve the mystery.

The reason my first post contained the advice to go to the school office as opposed to the Help Desk was based on the explanation received from the staff member there - i.e. - 'We don't stamp grant forms here. You have to go to the school office'. Thanks for the info - at least now I'll be able to tell any students who query it that, once registered and fees paid up to date, the Help Desk is the place to go to get a grant form stamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Fill out this form and bring it to the student desk in the Tierney building, they'll give you the letter you need there and then

Hold on, I sent in my application for a grant in August and I didn't attach this form to it. In fact, I only found out about it now, what are the chances of me getting a grant now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Hold on, I sent in my application for a grant in August and I didn't attach this form to it. In fact, I only found out about it now, what are the chances of me getting a grant now?

I think the letter is something that is required before they'll pay out the grant rather than part of the application process. The closing date for grant applications was before the start of term anyway.

me@ucd wrote: »
    Can you get this letter after having paid the 157.50 (but not yet the 1500) and are currently doing the course as normal and attending?
    Yep once you are registered and have paid the student levy you can get one.
    These were students who are not in receipt of external/internal funding of any kind, hence the urgency/necessity of getting their grant form stamped and submitted in time.... So unfortunately that doesn't help solve the mystery.

The reason my first post contained the advice to go to the school office as opposed to the Help Desk was based on the explanation received from the staff member there - i.e. - 'We don't stamp grant forms here. You have to go to the school office'. Thanks for the info - at least now I'll be able to tell any students who query it that, once registered and fees paid up to date, the Help Desk is the place to go to get a grant form stamped.

The reason postgrads, PhDs etc would be refused is that they would not appear on the system before they are fully registered so if your friends went in the summer, they would not appear on the system as an enrolled student. The departments might have given them letters of acceptance, emails etc but admin could not know they that until they appear as registered on the system.

You just can't stamp everybody who comes in because you get chancers. The staff member should have said that they could not stamp them because they could not be sure they were a student etc. Only the school would know the names of accepted intending postgrads.

The reason postgrads, PhDs etc would be refused is that they would not appear on the system before they are fully registered so if your friends went in the summer, they would not appear on the system as an enrolled student.

Only the school would know the names of accepted intending postgrads.

Most of them were actually continuing postgrad students. And only one went in before September...

Just seems that they were unlucky with the staff member(s) they got on the day....

Most of them were actually continuing postgrad students. And only one went in before September...

Just seems that they were unlucky with the staff member(s) they got on the day....

I'M confused as to why this happened. First two in weeks in September there were orientation guides inside the door of Admin guiding people to where they had to go. Anybody looking for a form to be stamped would have been sent to the courtesy desk. The only reason I had or saw others have for not stamping a form was when a student was not registered.

I think they must have been really unlucky with the staff member(s) that they dealt with as everything else required was in order, registration, fees, 'good standing' with college, etc. I think it was the fact that the staff member refused point blank to do it, saying that the help desk didn't stamp the forms and that it was up to the individual schools to stamp the form, was the issue. I know that at least two of the relevant schools were not impressed with the help desk, but had absolutely no problem stamping the form and were more than happy to do so.

As you say, a bit confusing!

Thanks for the insight, though!

Advertisement