Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight's Frontline show

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Is anyone watching it???

Dear oh dear, I am not entirely unsympathetic to some aspects of the public sector complaints but sweet merciful the bunch of reps they have in tonight and the arguments they are making are just delusional.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just found it very weird seeing/hearing Stephen Kieron in the audience...he was the originator of Irelands first ever BBS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭rochie16

Incoherent ramblings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Crikey now Peter 'FAS' McLoone is on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The PS have completely trashed any arguments they had tonight.
    I feel angry with them, because they've said nothing about the top paid people.
    They're simply idiots fighting and panicing over the scraps at the end of the table when the upper management and Fianna Fail & Friends are savaging the feckin slice pan.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the point that Brian Cowen should be sitting very nervous in his seat if hes watching this show tonight.
    People are genuinely enraged.

How are this government still going?
    This is actually impressive to be honest, FF have managed to create a little mini-civil war, yet they are still there. Amazing.

Lastly, there was a point made that no cuts should come from the social welfare and it should all come from the PS payroll.
    Not only is this totally unfair, its insanity.
    In a private sector minimum wage job, you'll be making E320 per week
    On social welfare you'll be making €205.
    Once you factor in transport and feeding yourself, you're better off on the dole, lol!

Yup. There will be strikes a plenty. I can see a real winter of discontent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

It's Liveline and the Adrian Kennedy phone show on TV. The ravings of mad men (on both sides might I add).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

God bless the public service. If you compare us to a country where my equivalent's paid 25% less than me, well, we just need this money. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

population wrote: »
    Yup. There will be strikes a plenty. I can see a real winter of discontent

Bring on the strikes - we'll save even more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

There's no one better than the Irish to start in-fighting when the chips are down as opposed to getting stuck in to resolve the problem. What we learn from Irish history is that....we learn nothing from our history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bring on the strikes - we'll save even more money.
    Yeah, like they'll forfeit the 11am scone break and the 3pm coffee break.

• Advertisement

Do you think that if they do go on strike employment could be generated by employing people as strike breakers?

What utter madness is it that motivates someone to say that with an economy shrinking their wages should remain the same.

garbanzo wrote: »
    There's no one better than the Irish to start in-fighting when the chips are down as opposed to getting stuck in to resolve the problem. What we learn from Irish history is that....we learn nothing from our history.

I think the whole worker v worker thing is a red herring though. There needs to be a dose of salts run through the Irish political and proffessional structure and like it or not that includes the public service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Do you think that if they do go on strike employment could be generated by employing people as strike breakers?

What utter madness is it that motivates someone to say that with an economy shrinking their wages should remain the same.

Their wages have decreased.

podge018 wrote: »

Indeed they have but is it going to be enough? If the IMF come in then the wages would be savaged to a degree thought unthinkable previously.

If I was a public service rep leader I would be talking deal while there is still a chance of one. IMF come in and all bets are off

Aye, that's true, but not by as much as others.

the IMF wont decrease the vast majority of the public sectors wage by any more than the Govt might. The only people that should fear the IMF are the 50,000 (guesstimate) or so earning the big bucks.

population wrote: »
    Indeed they have but is it going to be enough? If the IMF come in then the wages would be savaged to a degree thought unthinkable previously.

If I was a public service rep leader I would be talking deal while there is still a chance of one. IMF come in and all bets are off

Eddie Hobbs made the best point of the night at the end, even though you could barely hear it, he said:

"This living in denial by the Public Service & unions now, simply means they are going to get it in the neck in the short term future"

Aye, that's true, but not by as much as others.

Everyone in the public service took a wage reduction. The majority in the private sector didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    How are this government still going?
    This is actually impressive to be honest, FF have managed to create a little mini-civil war, yet they are still there. Amazing.

They started the Irish civil war, lost it and ruled the country for most of the next 80 years!

The debate might of seemed pointless, but I think it's a pretty good indicator for the up and coming budget-i.e, cuts followed by strikes followed by bankrupcy.

PS: Anyone got the number of declan ganley's hedgefund friend? It's time to put some money on the future of the irish economy, or lack of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭amacca

eoinbn wrote: »
    The debate might of seemed pointless, but I think it's a pretty good indicator for the up and coming budget-i.e, cuts followed by strikes followed by bankrupcy.

Thats what I was thinking, I was also thinking how much I hate Eddie Hobbs, not so much what he says (although some of it is utter toss) just the way he says it.

And I like cork and cork people like.

• Advertisement

the IMF wont decrease the vast majority of the public sectors wage by any more than the Govt might. The only people that should fear the IMF are the 50,000 (guesstimate) or so earning the big bucks.

I disagree, its supposed to be 10billion across 350,000 people for the PS wage bill?

I doubt 50,000 people are making 9 billion between them.

If there is a defecit of 50% of our GDP per annum (and growing), and 50% of that defecit is comprised of public sector wages, I imagine the cuts would be quite horrific.

The joke of the story is that, if it were Fine Gael or Labour in power right now, Fianna Fail would be crucifying them for not making the necessary cuts.
    Thank Christ Bertie got it in 2007 - otherwise people might not have understood that this is all his and Fianna Fails fault.
    The downside is that Fianna Fail are able to deflect some of the blame on the global economic crisis, but still, even the thickest of Fianna Fail voters must be asking himself why the recession is so insanely worse here than any other country.

They started the Irish civil war, lost it and ruled the country for most of the next 80 years!

PS: Anyone got the number of declan ganley's hedgefund friend? It's time to put some money on the future of the irish economy, or lack of it.

I don't think it was a pointless debate, I think its very useful.
    There hasn't been enough of it!

Until people get to see the outrage on their television screens, they are not going to change the way they vote.

Lets face it, how many people out of a population of 4.5 million are coming to visit politics forums?
    Most of them are sitting at home watching the TV (because they can't afford to go for a pint anymore)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I doubt they would only do that. The IMF would cut through the PS like a hot knife through butter. They have a record of doing that in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I don't think it was a pointless debate, I think its very useful.
    There hasn't been enough of it!

Until people get to see the outrage on their television screens, they are not going to change the way they vote.

Lets face it, how many people out of a population of 4.5 million are coming to visit politics forums?
    Most of them are sitting at home watching the TV (because they can't afford to go for a pint anymore)

My point is that nobody at the debate had a change of mind, or does anyone on public forums, and I doubt many/any of the people watching learnt anything new. The public sector made some claims, the private sector made some claims- the truth was probably somewhere in the middle, it usually is.

My point is that nobody at the debate had a change of mind, or does anyone on public forums, and I doubt many/any of the people watching learnt anything new. The public sector made some claims, the private sector made some claims- the truth was probably somewhere in the middle, it usually is.

Thats a fair comment, but I don't believe that the PS workers would ever publicly agree to accepting cuts anyway tho, its just not how its done.
    Especially after the Bertie Era.

I guess if they didn't kick up a fuss about a 10% cut, the government might take 20%. Not getting my point across very well there but I'm sure you know what I mean anyway.

See Pat Kenny also got a nice dig in at the end with regard to not blowing the whistle on Molloy?
    Nicely done imo:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

I think nurses, docs, gardi, and teachers deserve to earn what they do...
    I think there should be a cap on pay!
    senitors and some hse workers claiming benifits in kind is crazy! €60,00+ on top of saleries for handy work!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

The reality is nobody with a mortgage be they public or private sector can afford a pay cut.

I think the young Lady who had her home repossesed was not given enough consideration, two earners who could not afford to keep their home.

Think its bad now?

God help us when the German and French economies start to recover the Euro interest rate will be increased to keep the big economies in check the small counties will be ignored.

If the Dollar even hints at a recovery all E.U. member states except maybe GB will suffer the true price of oil.

FF Legacy = One year on and still no plan in place !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Hopefully the legacy of this madness is that fianna fail will be in the wilderness for the next decade and a half , if anyone thinks that they aren't to blame for the state of the economy they need to be certified !

The absolute waste and squandering of public money over the past two terms of this government is scandalous , 50 million for voting machines , o'donoghue taking 3 or 4 go's to own up to his spendthrift ways , the whole fas fiasco , it just seems to go on and on .

Have the irish no sense of outrage ? if it was like this in france , they'd be all hanging from lamp posts and the dail would be in flames . but wait and see there'll still be the diehards who'll get out and vote for these incompetents and corrupt idiots again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Some show :)

i taught theres gonna be a fight

and then of course theres Pat Kenny and his "respectable" salary moderating them all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

jank wrote: »
    I doubt they would only do that. The IMF would cut through the PS like a hot knife through butter.
    The IMF doesn't do anything, they just give recommendations to governments to sort their economies out. Once the governments execute these instructions, the IMF gives the green light to the markets to start lending to that government again. Well thats the theory anyway.

I think the big stumbling block here is the cost of living - if that were to go down it would hardly matter if public sector wages dropped, since there would be no follow on loss in spending power. While we may be in a deflationary environment, concentrating on certain key areas like staples and everyday expenditure (electricity and phones, fuel) could yield real results here, while not cutting off revenue.

Its also fairly important that even those who took out serious mortgages they probably shouldn't have be given every opportunity to repay their obligations, not so much out a sense of fairness but because they are the last real asset of the banks and hence protect the deposits, so that needs to be looked at as well.

Advertisement