Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight's Frontline show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭macheda

yes something will have to give in fairness.

I work in the public service for over 2 years now and I agree the top wages in the p.s need to be cut big time.
    If the proposed cut in the budget (10% been the rumour) i will be on less than €400. Not complaining still a decent wage and I am prepared to take whatever cut necessary. I just hate the whole generalisations about 25% more than the private sector and average wage of €966. From my dealings in my section there is a lot of new staff (2 or 3 years) they would be in the same position as me. I think someone posted that the argument should not be Public V private sector but the high earners in both sectors should be cut accordingly and I have to agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

jimmmy wrote: »
    Fair comments MysticalRain....only I think the pay reductions should apply to those on lower incomes too, but not as much. I know plenty of people in the country in the private sector with 3rd level qualifications and say 10 years work experience + who get less than 37 or 40 k....and they have less security, less pension, work longer hours, have less tea breaks, more pressure etc. Look at what professionals in the public sector get in other countries + it will open your eyes. The p.s. pay cuts should bring everyone in to line with the private sector + the ps in other countries. The p.s. ( + others who get the government cheque ) have milked the taxpayer for long enough.

I was earning much less than that myself when I worked in the private sector in Ireland and also when I worked for a public sector institution in another country a few years ago.

That said, I think targeting the more lowly paid civil servants only gets people's goat up. They've already had the pension levee, and any more cuts for them are just a recipe for another winter of discontent. I'm no economist, but I don't see how targeting them can save much money compared with targeting the highly paid ones instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I was earning much less than that myself when I worked in the private sector in Ireland and also when I worked for a public sector institution in another country a few years ago.

That said, I think targeting the more lowly paid civil servants only gets people's goat up.
    Depends how you define " the more lowly paid civil servants ". As I said before, those at the top should suffer bigger % cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Ball_of_Sex

I Love Colm McCarthy and Eddie Hobbs and Michael O Leary very very much. I wish they were running the country:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I thought it was reciepts of around €30 billion and outgoings somewhere north of €50 billion? I sincerely hope the shortfall is closer to €20 billion than €30 billion, twenty we can manage alright if we act quickly, thirty is just ruination.

your in for a shock so

http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2009/08/31/garret-fitzgerald-and-the-budget-deficit/
    Their most recent Quarterly Economic Commentary, based on data available through July 9th, predicts an exchequer deficit of €25.7 billion

• Advertisement

I Love Colm McCarthy and Eddie Hobbs and Michael O Leary very very much. I wish they were running the country:mad:
    At least they know something of economics / how to run something / the figures. The p.s. unions are just an embarassment they are so greedy for themselves, at the cost of the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That said, I think targeting the more lowly paid civil servants only gets people's goat up. They've already had the pension levee, and any more cuts for them are just a recipe for another winter of discontent. I'm no economist, but I don't see how targeting them can save much money compared with targeting the highly paid ones instead.

Pension relief reduces that burden of the pension levy.

Thing is, the ESRI found the lowly paid to be overpaid as well. Every level needs to be reduced to help us recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

podge018 wrote: »
    Everyone in the public service took a wage reduction. The majority in the private sector didn't.

yeah, you're right, they're just getting laid off instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Because the magic fairy in the sky just drops that cash into the public sector every month, isn't it wonderful?

what i said was yes they might get decent wages, but after deductions, its not great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

optocynic wrote: »
    I hope you are f*cking joking mate!
    Every bonus I get... which, unlike the financial sector... I work damn hard for... gets totally destroyed by the tax man! I am lucky if I see half of it!
    ... and I work a lot harder than handing out exam papers and watching sweaty, nervous kids do absurd amount of writing!!

financial??

1200-730= take home pay!!...thats less than half!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

...I think targeting the more lowly paid civil servants only gets people's goat up.

True. Especially of those low-paid civil servants. But here's the rub: lower-paid civil servants (and other public servants) actually have a greater edge over their private sector counterparts than those further up the ladder.
    They've already had the pension levee, and any more cuts for them are just a recipe for another winter of discontent.

It's remarkable how some who comment here disregard the hit public servants have already taken.
    I'm no economist, but I don't see how targeting them can save much money compared with targeting the highly paid ones instead.

There are far more public servants on low or middle incomes than on high incomes. If you target those over, say, €100,000 pa, you hit relatively few people. Drop the bar to €75,000 and the overwhelming majority are still safely below it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭targus

If I contribute to my pension... is it a pay cut?
    Y/N

It was perk, that is being reduced in size!
    Get over it!
    If you read my post correctly you would see that I have contributed to my pension all along..if you were asked to contribute an extra 9% to your pension and recieving no extra benefit for it would you consider it a pay cut?yes me thinks...

If any private sector person could get a public service type pension for only say 9% they would jump at the chance.

Eddie Hobbs on RTE last night told how he gave lectures to the public service on pensions ....+ how ignorant they were. For a Guard to pay the full economic cost of a pension he said they would be paying 48% of their salary....and a judge would have to be paying something like 85% of his salary....but the heckling from the p.s. side of the audience who did just not want to hear this said it all. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

If any private sector person could get a public service type pension for only say 9% they would jump at the chance.

Eddie Hobbs on RTE last night told how he gave lectures to the public service on pensions ....+ how ignorant they were. For a Guard to pay the full economic cost of a pension he said they would be paying 48% of their salary....and a judge would have to be paying something like 85% of his salary....but the heckling from the p.s. side of the audience who did just not want to hear this said it all. :D:D:D
    I think the problem is that for many of them, they have grown a custom too the fancy lifestyle they had durning the boom years and don't want to cut back on it, it's not nice but people need to get real.

I currently have no job, my wife is still working and we have made various cut backs in our budget to get by and I'm not complaining, I have a roof over my head and food on the table each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

True. Especially of those low-paid civil servants. But here's the rub: lower-paid civil servants (and other public servants) actually have a greater edge over their private sector counterparts than those further up the ladder.

I am not sure what you are saying here?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sin1981

hi,

the current attitude of PS workers beggars belief. If it weren't for bankers/developers generated all the artificial tax revenues (not to be condoned in any way), then our PS workers would not be on anywhere near the salaries they're currently on. So which do they want. It seems like they want their cake and eat!!
    If these workers were half as passionate about their working conditions, and staff numbers over the years as they were about their pay, then we wouldn't be seeing the problems we see in shortages right now. eg. schools.
    If I went back to college, did a H-dip, and started teaching, I'd expect an increase in pay of 9,000 Euro! I've looked this up. I have a a PhD, working in drug company! I'm content with what I earn, it is after all, the only amount I'm being offered.

it's true that the vast vast majority of PS workers earn less than 60K per year, and it is these workers who are streets ahead of private sector in terms of pay. this came out in the ESRI report. everyone needs to be tackled, and a graded system.
    Now if it was up to me, anyone earning below 40k would take 4% pay cut,
    40-60K, take a 6% pay cut,
    60-80K taking a 10% pay cut,
    and anyone earning over that should take a 20% cut, including all gobsheen politicians, judges etc...

but hey, we'll wait and watch the strikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Slightly over the top, doable, but barely. Of course if the borrowing keeps building up we'll be wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

population wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are saying here?

Insofar as it is possible to make like-with-like comparisons between public sector and private sector remuneration packages (i.e. pay and other rewards) public sector workers are currently somewhat better paid than the private sector workers.

The gap is actually larger in the lower-paid grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gooneradam

Agreed, but sadly we're in a very small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Slightly over the top, doable, but barely. Of course if the borrowing keeps building up we'll be wiped out.

Its €400 million per week, or €2 billion per month, €24 billion per year.

(Actually Siptu and 34,000 members are looking for a 3.5% increase, so according to my calculations:
    [3.5% of €24 billion x the cowardice of the green party] + the incompetence of Fianna Fail == FOOKING BANKRUPT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Its €400 million per week, or €2 billion per month, €24 billion per year.
    Go Dutch on healthcare, save €10 billion minimum, lets go mad and say €12 billion, thats half your problem solved right there. Take 20% off social welfare, thats a whopping €40 a week leaving the average recipient in receipt of €160 a week plus other allowances (with means testing and other austerity measures, for example adjusting rental allowance to account for lower rents), very doable, brings your savings up to €16 billion, and cut back the quangos and general built up excess, level pension schemes between the public and private sectors, you have minimum another €4 billion saved.

So that only leaves you with a €4 billion shortfall annually, very few people let go, no tax increases, and the record low tax returns of a recessionary environment means you can make up the difference in actual tax when things turn up. Assuming you don't take any stimulus measures yourself, which you really should do.

If we were at 2004 levels of expenditure, we'd be breaking even around now, and its not that hard to reach those levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its supposed to be a €4bn gap per year that has to be plugged every budget per year. All agreed with the EU as part of a 5yr plan.

If we don't get that €4bn 'saving' this year, what will the EU do to punish us?

Thats what the public service have to think about, seriously.

gurramok wrote: »
    Its supposed to be a €4bn gap per year that has to be plugged every budget per year. All agreed with the EU as part of a 5yr plan.

If we don't get that €4bn 'saving' this year, what will the EU do to punish us?

Thats what the public service have to think about, seriously.

Its probably in their interest that our children and grandchildren have to pay back all those many billions of interest - and capital - to Heing and Fritz in a generation or twos time, just so our lazy fat government and their employees can be the highest paid in the known world now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

targus wrote: »
    If you read my post correctly you would see that I have contributed to my pension all along..if you were asked to contribute an extra 9% to your pension and recieving no extra benefit for it would you consider it a pay cut?yes me thinks...

I 9% of my salary came back to me in the sam magnitude as a Public sector pension and retirement lump sum... I would happily pay it... and consider it a huge feckin' perk...

It is not a cut!

Insofar as it is possible to make like-with-like comparisons between public sector and private sector remuneration packages (i.e. pay and other rewards) public sector workers are currently somewhat better paid than the private sector workers.

The gap is actually larger in the lower-paid grades.

I fully agree with you here, but the problem is, can we really target these folks as well? They may be earning significantly more than their Private sector mirrors, but, they are LIVING on this inflated social partnership mess...

It is likely that any cuts to them, would mean loss of homes etc.

And who's fault is it that they are living beyond their means?.. The Social Partners... 'Pay-off-Bertie' and the unions!

I was at the Frontline show...as people arrived RTE split them up into Public and Private sector and sent them to different rooms beforehand.

FF had Mc Carthy on tv taking the flak. Some of the public sector people were very angry with him. Waste of energy. Bertie, Lenihan, Cowen etc are the ones to get angry with.

Another victory over the people. While we are at each others throats people like Molloy walk away with millions.

Before we even start at the average public sector employee we need to straighten them out. Tackle the "jobs for the boys" quangos:

What does this quango do?
    http://www.dardni.gov.uk/index/fisheries-farming-and-food/fisheries/fcilc.htm

Do we need these quangos?
    http://www.affordablehome.ie/
    http://www.homechoiceloan.ie/
    http://www.NAMA.ie/
    http://www.safefood.eu/
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2009/july/title,33348,en.html
    http://www.fas.ie
    http://www.arts-sport-tourism.gov.ie/publications/release.asp?ID=1804
    http://sfpa-ie.access.secure-ssl-servers.biz/
    http://www.nora.ie/

too many to link them all here is a list of a nearly 200
    They arent all bad either

TG4 2007
    The Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources reduced their budget from the exchequer to 35m for 2009.
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment High Level Group on Business Regulation 2007
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment National Consumer Agency 2007
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment National Employment Rights Authority 2007
    Limerick Northside Regeneration Agency 2007
    Environment, Heritage and Local
    Government
    Health and Children Children Acts Advisory Board 2007
    Health and Children Health & Social Care Professionals Council 2007
    Health and Children HIQA 2007
    Health and Children National Cancer Screening Services Board 2007
    Health and Children National Paediatric Hospital Development Board 2007
    Transport and the Marine Railway Safety Advisory Council 2007
    Foreign Affairs Hunger Task Force 2007
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Abbey Theatre (Amharclann na Mainistreach) 2006
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Crawford Gallery Cork 2006
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Fáilte Ireland (National Tourism Development Authority) Community, Rural and Gaeltacht 2006
    Dormant Accounts Board 2006
    Communications, Energy & Natural resources 2006
    Eirgrid 2006
    Education and Sciences Education Finance Board 2006
    Education and Sciences Grangegorman Development Agency 2006
    Education and Sciences The Teaching Council 2006
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment IAASA 2006
    Health and Children Health Repayment Scheme Appeals Office 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Local Registration of Deeds and Title Rules Committee Justice, Equality and Law Reform Private Security Appeals Board 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Garda Siochana Inspectorate 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Mental Health Criminal Law Review Board 2006
    Transport and the Marine Railway Safety Commission 2006
    Transport and the Marine Integrated Ticketing Project Board 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Property Registration Authority 2006
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Culture Ireland 2005
    Arts, Sport and Tourism National Museum of Ireland 2005
    Community, Rural and Gaeltacht 2006
    Pobal 2005
    Western Development Commission 2005
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Small Business Forum - Implementation Group 2005
    Environment, Heritage and Local Governm,ent 2005
    Affordable Homes Partnership 2005
    Health and Children Health Service Executive 2005
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform National Property Services Regulatory Authority 2005
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Commission for the Support of Victims of Crime 2005
    Comhairle na Tuaithe 2004
    Oifig Choimisinéir na d'Teangacha Oifigiúla 2004
    Fóram na Gaeilge 2004
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Personal Injuries Assessment Board 2004
    Environment, Heritage and Local Government
    Private Residential Tenancies Board 2004
    Health and Children National Haemophilia Council 2004
    Health and Children National Treatment Purchase Fund 2004
    Health and Children Irish Expert Body on Fluorides and Health 2004
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Private Security Authority 2004
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Independent Monitoring Commission 2004
    Finance Credit Union Advisory Committee 2004
    Finance Outside Appointments Board 2004
    Finance Irish Financial Services Appeals Tribunal 2004
    Finance Financial Services Ombudsman Council 2004
    Finance Financial Services Consultative Consumer Panel 2004
    Finance Financial Services Consultative Industry Panel 2004
    Transport and the Marine Commission for Taxi Regulation 2004
    Transport and the Marine Dublin Airport Authority 2004
    Transport and the Marine Shannon Airport Authority 2004
    Transport and the Marine Cork Airport Authority 2004
    Regional Drugs Taskforces (10) 2003
    Digital Hub Development Agency 2003
    Defence Civil Defence Board 2003
    Education and Sciences National Council for Special Education 2003
    Education and Sciences State Examinations Commission 2003
    Foreign Affairs Development Education Advisory Committee 2003
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Remembrance Commission 2003
    Finance Decentralisation Implementation Group 2003
    Finance National Development Finance Agency 2003
    Finance Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland 2003
    Finance Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority 2003
    Social and Family Affairs Family Support Agency 2003
    Transport and the Marine Advisory Council to the Commission for Taxi Regulation 2003
    Social and Family Affairs Office of the Pensions Ombudsman 2003
    Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Consumer Liaison Panel 2002
    Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Farm Animal Welfare Advisory Council 2002
    Communications, Energy & Natural 2002
    Commission for Communications Regulation 2002
    Communications, Energy & Natural resources 2002
    Sustainable Energy Ireland 2002
    Education and Sciences National Education Welfare Board 2002
    Education and Sciences National Adult Learning Council 2002
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Irish Council for Bioethics 2002
    Foreign Affairs Advisory Board for Irish Aid 2002
    Health and Children Mental Health Commission 2002
    Health and Children Office for Tobacco Control 2002
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Office of the Inspector of Prisons 2002
    Finance Ordnance Survey Ireland 2002
    Finance State Claims Agency Policy Committee 2002
    Transport and the Marine The Marine Casualty Investigation Board 2002
    Agriculture, Fisheries and Food RELAY 2001
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Horse Racing Ireland 2001
    National Monitoring Committee Overseeing the Operation of repid programme 2001
    Education and Sciences Further Education and Training Awards Council 2001
    Education and Sciences Higher Education and Training Awards Council 2001
    Education and Sciences Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and technology Education and Sciences National Qualifications Authority of Ireland 2001
    Education and Sciences National Youth Work Advisory Council 2001
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Competition Law Review Group 2001
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Office of the Directors Corporate Enforcement 2001
    Taoiseach National Economic and Social Development Office 2001
    Taoiseach National Centre for Partnership and Performance 2001
    Taoiseach Ireland Newfoundland Partnership Board 2001
    Taoiseach National Forum on Europe 2001
    Health and Children Crisis Pregnancy Agency 2001
    Health and Children Dental Council 2001
    Health and Children Health Insurance Authority 2001
    Health and Children National Children's Advisory Council 2001
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Parole Board 2001
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Midlands Prison Visiting Committee 2001
    Finance Committee for Performance Awards 2001
    Finance National Pensions Reserve Commission 2001
    Transport and the Marine Railway Procurement Agency 2001
    Transport and the Marine Commission for Aviation Regulation 2001
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Tourism Ireland (North/South Body) 2000
    National Advisory Committee on Drugs 2000
    National Salmon Commission 2000
    Education and Sciences Irish Research Council for the Humanities and social sciences 2000
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Advisory Science Council 2000
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment National Framework Committee for Work/Life Balance Enterprise, Trade and Employment Science Foundation Ireland 2000
    Health and Children Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council 2000
    Health and Children Food Safety Consultative Council 2000
    Health and Children Scientific Committee of the Food Safety Authority 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform National Disability Authority 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Internet Advisory Board 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Refugee Appeals Tribunal 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Cloverhill Prison Visiting Committee 2000
    Finance Public Services Benchmarking Body 2000
    Social and Family Affairs Citizens Information Board 2000
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Irish Sports Council 1999
    Bord o Ulstér-Scotch 1999
    Foras na Gaeilge 1999
    Waterways Ireland 1999
    Commission for Energy Regulation 1999
    Communications, Energy & Natural Resources 1999
    Mining Board 1999
    Foyle, Carlingford and Irish Lights Commission 1999
    Education and Sciences Integrated Ireland Language and Training Ltd 1999
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment InterTrade Ireland 1999
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Skillsnet Limited 1999
    Comhar Sustainable Development Council 1999
    Environment, Heritage and Local Government 1999
    Irish Water Safety 1999
    National Traveller Accommodation Committee 1999
    Health and Children Food Safety Authority of Ireland 1999
    Health and Children Food Safety Promotion Board 1999
    Health and Children Institute of Public Health 1999
    Health and Children National Council for the Professional Development of Nursing and Midwifery 1999
    Health and Children St Luke's Hospital Board 1999
    Health and Children National Childcare Coordinating Committee 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Equality Authority 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Independent Monitoring Committee for Refugee Legal Services 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Courts Services 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Independent Commission for the Location of Victims Remains 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Prisons Authority Interim Board 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform National Crime Council 1999
    Finance Special EU Programmes Body 1999
    Finance Civil Service Arbitration Board 1999
    Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Aquaculture Licences Appeals 1998
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Council of National Cultural Institutions 1998
    Education and Sciences Tipperary Institute 1998
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Enterprise Ireland 1998

I was at the Frontline show...as people arrived RTE split them up into Public and Private sector and sent them to different rooms beforehand.

FF had Mc Carthy on tv taking the flak. Some of the public sector people were very angry with him. Waste of energy. Bertie, Lenihan, Cowen etc are the ones to get angry with.

Another victory over the people. While we are at each others throats people like Molloy walk away with millions.

Before we even start at the average public sector employee we need to straighten them out. Tackle the "jobs for the boys" quangos:

What does this quango do?
    http://www.dardni.gov.uk/index/fisheries-farming-and-food/fisheries/fcilc.htm

Do we need these quangos?
    http://www.affordablehome.ie/
    http://www.homechoiceloan.ie/
    http://www.NAMA.ie/
    http://www.safefood.eu/
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2009/july/title,33348,en.html
    http://www.fas.ie
    http://www.arts-sport-tourism.gov.ie/publications/release.asp?ID=1804
    http://sfpa-ie.access.secure-ssl-servers.biz/
    http://www.nora.ie/

too many to link them all here is a list of a nearly 200
    They arent all bad either

TG4 2007

Enterprise, Trade and Employment High Level Group on Business Regulation 2007
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment National Consumer Agency 2007
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment National Employment Rights Authority 2007
    Limerick Northside Regeneration Agency 2007
    Environment, Heritage and Local
    Government
    Health and Children Children Acts Advisory Board 2007
    Health and Children Health & Social Care Professionals Council 2007
    Health and Children HIQA 2007
    Health and Children National Cancer Screening Services Board 2007
    Health and Children National Paediatric Hospital Development Board 2007
    Transport and the Marine Railway Safety Advisory Council 2007
    Foreign Affairs Hunger Task Force 2007
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Abbey Theatre (Amharclann na Mainistreach) 2006
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Crawford Gallery Cork 2006
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Fáilte Ireland (National Tourism Development Authority) Community, Rural and Gaeltacht 2006
    Dormant Accounts Board 2006
    Eirgrid 2006
    Education and Sciences Education Finance Board 2006
    Education and Sciences Grangegorman Development Agency 2006
    Education and Sciences The Teaching Council 2006
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment IAASA 2006
    Health and Children Health Repayment Scheme Appeals Office 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Local Registration of Deeds and Title Rules Committee Justice, Equality and Law Reform Private Security Appeals Board 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Garda Siochana Inspectorate 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Mental Health Criminal Law Review Board 2006
    Transport and the Marine Railway Safety Commission 2006
    Transport and the Marine Integrated Ticketing Project Board 2006
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Property Registration Authority 2006
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Culture Ireland 2005
    Arts, Sport and Tourism National Museum of Ireland 2005
    Community, Rural and Gaeltacht 2006
    Pobal 2005
    Western Development Commission 2005
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Small Business Forum - Implementation Group 2005
    Environment, Heritage and Local Governm,ent 2005
    Affordable Homes Partnership 2005
    Health and Children Health Service Executive 2005
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform National Property Services Regulatory Authority 2005
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Commission for the Support of Victims of Crime 2005
    Comhairle na Tuaithe 2004
    Oifig Choimisinéir na d'Teangacha Oifigiúla 2004
    Fóram na Gaeilge 2004
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Personal Injuries Assessment Board 2004
    Environment, Heritage and Local Government
    Private Residential Tenancies Board 2004
    Health and Children National Haemophilia Council 2004
    Health and Children National Treatment Purchase Fund 2004
    Health and Children Irish Expert Body on Fluorides and Health 2004
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Private Security Authority 2004
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Independent Monitoring Commission 2004
    Finance Credit Union Advisory Committee 2004
    Finance Outside Appointments Board 2004
    Finance Irish Financial Services Appeals Tribunal 2004
    Finance Financial Services Ombudsman Council 2004
    Finance Financial Services Consultative Consumer Panel 2004
    Finance Financial Services Consultative Industry Panel 2004
    Transport and the Marine Commission for Taxi Regulation 2004
    Transport and the Marine Dublin Airport Authority 2004
    Transport and the Marine Shannon Airport Authority 2004
    Transport and the Marine Cork Airport Authority 2004
    Regional Drugs Taskforces (10) 2003
    Digital Hub Development Agency 2003
    Defence Civil Defence Board 2003
    Education and Sciences National Council for Special Education 2003
    Education and Sciences State Examinations Commission 2003
    Foreign Affairs Development Education Advisory Committee 2003
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Remembrance Commission 2003
    Finance Decentralisation Implementation Group 2003
    Finance National Development Finance Agency 2003
    Finance Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland 2003
    Finance Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority 2003
    Social and Family Affairs Family Support Agency 2003
    Transport and the Marine Advisory Council to the Commission for Taxi Regulation 2003
    Social and Family Affairs Office of the Pensions Ombudsman 2003
    Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Consumer Liaison Panel 2002
    Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Farm Animal Welfare Advisory Council 2002
    Communications, Energy & Natural 2002
    Commission for Communications Regulation 2002
    Communications, Energy & Natural resources 2002
    Sustainable Energy Ireland 2002
    Education and Sciences National Education Welfare Board 2002
    Education and Sciences National Adult Learning Council 2002
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Irish Council for Bioethics 2002
    Foreign Affairs Advisory Board for Irish Aid 2002
    Health and Children Mental Health Commission 2002
    Health and Children Office for Tobacco Control 2002
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Office of the Inspector of Prisons 2002
    Finance Ordnance Survey Ireland 2002
    Finance State Claims Agency Policy Committee 2002
    Transport and the Marine The Marine Casualty Investigation Board 2002
    Agriculture, Fisheries and Food RELAY 2001
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Horse Racing Ireland 2001
    National Monitoring Committee Overseeing the Operation of repid programme 2001
    Education and Sciences Further Education and Training Awards Council 2001
    Education and Sciences Higher Education and Training Awards Council 2001
    Education and Sciences Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and technology Education and Sciences National Qualifications Authority of Ireland 2001
    Education and Sciences National Youth Work Advisory Council 2001
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Competition Law Review Group 2001
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Office of the Directors Corporate Enforcement 2001
    Taoiseach National Economic and Social Development Office 2001
    Taoiseach National Centre for Partnership and Performance 2001
    Taoiseach Ireland Newfoundland Partnership Board 2001
    Taoiseach National Forum on Europe 2001
    Health and Children Crisis Pregnancy Agency 2001
    Health and Children Dental Council 2001
    Health and Children Health Insurance Authority 2001
    Health and Children National Children's Advisory Council 2001
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Parole Board 2001
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Midlands Prison Visiting Committee 2001
    Finance Committee for Performance Awards 2001
    Finance National Pensions Reserve Commission 2001
    Transport and the Marine Railway Procurement Agency 2001
    Transport and the Marine Commission for Aviation Regulation 2001
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Tourism Ireland (North/South Body) 2000
    National Advisory Committee on Drugs 2000
    National Salmon Commission 2000
    Education and Sciences Irish Research Council for the Humanities and social sciences 2000
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Advisory Science Council 2000
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment National Framework Committee for Work/Life Balance Enterprise, Trade and Employment Science Foundation Ireland 2000
    Health and Children Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council 2000
    Health and Children Food Safety Consultative Council 2000
    Health and Children Scientific Committee of the Food Safety Authority 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform National Disability Authority 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Internet Advisory Board 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Refugee Appeals Tribunal 2000
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Cloverhill Prison Visiting Committee 2000
    Finance Public Services Benchmarking Body 2000
    Social and Family Affairs Citizens Information Board 2000
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Irish Sports Council 1999
    Bord o Ulstér-Scotch 1999
    Foras na Gaeilge 1999
    Waterways Ireland 1999
    Commission for Energy Regulation 1999
    Communications, Energy & Natural Resources 1999
    Mining Board 1999
    Foyle, Carlingford and Irish Lights Commission 1999
    Education and Sciences Integrated Ireland Language and Training Ltd 1999
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment InterTrade Ireland 1999
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Skillsnet Limited 1999
    Comhar Sustainable Development Council 1999
    Environment, Heritage and Local Government 1999
    Irish Water Safety 1999
    National Traveller Accommodation Committee 1999
    Health and Children Food Safety Authority of Ireland 1999
    Health and Children Food Safety Promotion Board 1999
    Health and Children Institute of Public Health 1999
    Health and Children National Council for the Professional Development of Nursing and Midwifery 1999
    Health and Children St Luke's Hospital Board 1999
    Health and Children National Childcare Coordinating Committee 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Equality Authority 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Independent Monitoring Committee for Refugee Legal Services 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Courts Services 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Independent Commission for the Location of Victims Remains 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform Prisons Authority Interim Board 1999
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform National Crime Council 1999
    Finance Special EU Programmes Body 1999
    Finance Civil Service Arbitration Board 1999
    Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Aquaculture Licences Appeals 1998
    Arts, Sport and Tourism Council of National Cultural Institutions 1998
    Education and Sciences Tipperary Institute 1998
    Enterprise, Trade and Employment Enterprise Ireland 1998

We need the ones that nurture profit and success... hence jobs and a healthy economy.

Thanks for that. I know people can apply in advance to get tickets for RTE shows....however, how was the audience selected to begin with on Monday evening ? Did the audience as a group know there was going to be a debate on public sector pay ? I assume they did. The public sector section seemed to have quite a militant group ( eg they all said they would go on strike etc ) ....were they a random selection of p.s. workers or were they hand picked union people for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I watched the frontline on Monday also.

What was the point that the public service chap in the audience was trying to make about the performance of public sector pensions versus the poor performance of private sector ones?

He is right about private sector pensions being poorly managed in Ireland, management fees, etc and having a poor return. However, I thought it was a bit crazy trying to compare apples with lemons since most private sector pensions are defined contribution type and as Pat Kenny said public sector pensions are funded out of the general exchequer afaik.

• Advertisement

We need the ones that nurture profit and success... hence jobs and a healthy economy.

yeah and we can cut the rest
    Thanks for that. I know people can apply in advance to get tickets for RTE shows....however, how was the audience selected to begin with on Monday evening ? Did the audience as a group know there was going to be a debate on public sector pay ? I assume they did. The public sector section seemed to have quite a militant group ( eg they all said they would go on strike etc ) ....were they a random selection of p.s. workers or were they hand picked union people for the evening.

We just got a phone call asking if we wanted to go. They then told us what the debate would be about. They ask you what you do. When you get there they asked again and go through people to see what stories some have.

Its possible that some people are invited ahead or they know the full story ahead of them coming. But I dont know for sure I can only say what I saw.
    They joked about it being divide and conquer in those words when they said people were being split.

Advertisement