Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And We're Back To Being Crazies (Baz's Culture Clash on RTE last night)

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

So. Who watched Baz's Culture Clash tonight?

Anyone witness him finding the most random, idiotic nutjobs he could find and putting them out as the average Pagan? It was absolutely disgusting.

I may get sick into my own scorn. I'm Hellenic, only barely related to Wicca and most modern Paganism. But SERIOUSLY. I am, yet again, ashamed to be associated with such... Bleargh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Haven't watched it, are the people in it self iding as pagans?
    Where they irish?
    Who was he interviewing/taking the piss out of?
    Tbh again it's an umbrella term and every religon has it's odd balls.

The meeja will be full of all sorts of shíte between now and the start of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

True bout the media. This is, oddly, a hard time of year for us with regard to popular opinion.

It was American. Some 'Laughing Yogi', making all alternative treatments look completely insane. Then some magnetism therapy or whatever. I actually lost track, I was so annoyed.

Wish we could actually get out there without giving in like that. Disgraceful.

I don't think the last few bits that we have seen of late were that bad tbh,
    from the would you believe earlier in the year to some of the interviews in the more grown up press.
    But there are always those who want to sensationalise anything they can get to record.

Would You Believe was a LOT more open minded. This is extremely narrow and belittling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Matthew Hopkins

No Urizen, you were watching last weeks show on the rte viewer, the show that went out on broadcast tonight had Janet Farrar and Gavin Bone doing a mock initiation of the rte presenter amongst a motley crew of muppets wearing carnival masks, im sure the show will be uploaded to rte online over the next few days. Made Wiccans out to be loon balls and nutjobs., As someone said on Pagans in the pubs forum Janet Farrar is now the Fr. Neil Horan of the craft. The only thing missing was the Benny Hill theme music playing in the background.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The new episode is the one that set me off, but the old one was insane too. Reiki healing will now be seen as insane.

Last week's didn't warrant a thread here, but last night's added to it did. I was a bit up in arms last night, got confused.

I'll keep and eye for it when it hits the rte real player.
    Again this time of year the meeja want spooky wacky stuff and will edit things as they see fit and looking at the two episodes that are up on the site he just seems to go interveiw people to pull faced behind thier backs. That being said I think it's sad that people are pandering to such shows with those type of agendas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Urizen wrote: »
    So. Who watched Baz's Culture Clash tonight?

Anyone witness him finding the most random, idiotic nutjobs he could find and putting them out as the average Pagan? It was absolutely disgusting.

I may get sick into my own scorn. I'm Hellenic, only barely related to Wicca and most modern Paganism. But SERIOUSLY. I am, yet again, ashamed to be associated with such... Bleargh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt7Z7xcq2zk

Try the link above I couldn't really hear it but the druid on it was on the big question on the BBC and she wrote a book. So it should be a decent program.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok I watch this because of the Parnaormal side of it but for part of the show he went to meet some witches (his words). While he is a messer he did actually seem to have a bit of respect for them but I'm just wondering who people on here feel about how the people in the section represented themselves and about Baz's dealings with them?

Here's a youtube vid of just that section of the show but please excuse the advertising:

Well Gavin and Janet Bone despite their Wiccan roots have siad they do not practice Wicca any more and have moved on to thier own ways which they call progressive witchcraft so I don't see how they are setting a bad example as Wiccans and that is some sort of roughly Egyptian themed ritual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Sorry, didnt see the first thread. As a lay person I have to say I didnt see these people as nutjobs at all. I saw people who were open, welcoming and had a sense of humor. I'd have a pint with them! Thats just me, as a person, looking at them, as people.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ulsteryank

I haven't seen it either, but as mentioned, I believe she's moved away from her Wiccan roots, first calling what she practised Reformed Alexandrian, and now Progressive Witchcraft. I hope the show wasn't too loopy, since she's still viewed an an authority figure, since most Traditional Wiccans in Ireland have lineage to her. I also don't like the bad rep Traditional Wicca gets from the Eclectic neo-wiccans as well......oh well, I'll keep an eye out.

Hi Ulsteryank
    The section we are talking aout is linked above in post #10 on youtube.

:D Sorry about that!

Urizen wrote: »
    I'm Hellenic
    Sorry to stray off of topic on you Urizen, but I thought this was cool. I've communicate with Hellenic Polytheists on boards, and you're the first one I've noticed here. I just wanted to ask if you identify with Hellenismos, or Hellenic Reconstruction? I've came across a lot of people in the States interested in Celtic Reconstruction, but never any in Ireland, and just wanted to know if there are any other kind of Reconstructionists here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Did yer wan around 45 seconds say "5 pointed star in a circle - that's pretty evil". FFS.

Edit: After watching the whole thing, I thought it was quite cool. Sure he's very lighthearted, but I didn't think he was taking the piss out of them, and when it comes to Magick ritual, you can't take it too seriously or you might go mad...

I thought the ritual was actually very cool, is there a name for it?

tbh that made me giggle.

Advertisement