Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Real World - Murders etc -How Dangerous is it to be a Young Man

• 28-09-2009 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

Years back when I finished college a friend of mine was murdered outside a chipper on a Saturday evening. The reason was he had knocked over some guys pint and the guy followed him. Looking at the news tonight a guy I dont know from my hometown got stabbed and died at a house party.

I wouldn't find myself in these kind of places these days.

Its not a new phenomona.I read a post in PI of a young guy and a drug summons which I read in a same ****/ different day(era) kind of way where it came across to me that he felt he was unique.

So how is it in this modern world we can teach kids sex ed but can't teach them about life in any meaningful way.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Its dangerous enough, my brother is 21 but him and his friends would regualry be involved in scuffles. Mainly this boils down to them and others of their age getting absolutely hammered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

If you are a hammered drunk 21 year old with a propensity for getting into scuffles you have a good chance of coming a cropper. Everyone else is statistically safer than they were at any point in human history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

it makes you wonder on the causes of death and serious injury in young guys.

there was a thread on suicide but what else have you got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

When we get older we tend to realise when to call an end to a night's drinking whereas when younger there is a sense of invulnerability.

As for why we don't teach youngsters of the dangers and pitfalls,
    it's hard to get the message across to those who don't want to listen. Some lessons you have to learn yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

When I was younger around the 14-17year old mark we were going out getting hammered and getting involved in fights..we sound like scumbags except back then there would be around 10-15 of us all out and one of us would always get in a fight (never me though ;) )so the rest of us would all get involved.
    It was boy's nature back then in all those backhole villages.

however back then there was rules...once a guy hit the ground he was out until he came back up and we only punched...there was no hurleys or knives etc..all very gentlemanly if you could call 10 or 12 guys fighting :)

Remember at 18 I moved into Limerick city (18 years ago) and the first fight I saw a guy kick a guy into the head full force into the ground..I'll never forget the sound or the sight of that happening.
    After that any ideas of invulnerability quickly disappeared and I never got involved in fights again.

Nowadays it seems any fight now involves seriously injuring or killing the other guy...is it because these people are scum or is it because society is getting worse and people are genuinely afraid of what will happen to them during the fight that they take extreme measures to protect themselves?

• Advertisement

Berkut wrote: »

Remember at 18 I moved into Limerick city (18 years ago) and the first fight I saw a guy kick a guy into the head full force into the ground..I'll never forget the sound or the sight of that happening.
    After that any ideas of invulnerability quickly disappeared and I never got involved in fights again.

So rule number one is never get involved in fights. So it was the shock value that did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Berkut wrote: »
    Nowadays it seems any fight now involves seriously injuring or killing the other guy...is it because these people are scum or is it because society is getting worse and people are genuinely afraid of what will happen to them during the fight that they take extreme measures to protect themselves?

People are drinking more, there's higher uptake of substances like cocaine etc, so when fights happen, each side sees themselves as having something to prove. That's why most city centre fights on a weekend won't end until somebody is unconscious and being carried away or the Gardai show up. It seems nearly any night you choose to go out now, you will witness fights in the street or will have attempts made to provoke you into one. Better off at home with a bag of cans!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Location, location, location.....everyone knows the places around their town where the trouble is......some people will still go there yet complain when a few punches come their way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Avoid chippers and taxi ranks after closing time if you want to keep clear of aggro.
    nuff said.

Avoid chippers and taxi ranks after closing time if you want to keep clear of aggro.
    nuff said.

Im with you on the chippers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Would agree 100% on the chippers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Rule 1 : Dont get involved in fights.--Agreed
    Rule 2 : Avoid Chippers and Taxi ranks---Yep agreed there aswell.

My Rule 3 : There nothing cowardly about running from a situation if you see a knife or whatever being pulled.Too many young lads nowadays with sh!t loads of drink on them think they can take on anyone with a weapon.

Dont know about the rest of you but when I was growing up fights were solved with fists.Nowadays its a knife straight out of a pocket.Too many young lads are being knifed to death in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Rule 1 : Dont get involved in fights.--Agreed
    Rule 2 : Avoid Chippers and Taxi ranks---Yep agreed there aswell.

,What does one do if theyre desperate for a chip butty and a lift home!!??

TBH i take the attitude that those little scumbags are not going to scare or prevent me from going anywhere i want.Grant it ill be sensible and not walk by a gang of 10 lads boozing ina park at 3am but ill be damned if im not going in for a mandatory bag o chips after a night out and damned if im in town and walking an hour home.

Todays young lads AND lasses are all hell bent on getting themselves a reputation as being the 'mad bastard/the dangerous one/the hardest etc and theyre going through extreme lengths to get it ie carrying guns,knifing,beating the crap out of eachother.Thats the way things are and it just seems to be getting worse!!

I saw in After Hours that a young boardsie Eirebhoy was the victim in a deadly assault in Sydney. It is very sad when this happens. That it in almost identical circumstances we discussed here is insignificant. My condolences to his friends and family. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Gonna guess that for young men the most likely person to kill them is themselves. Heard of another one tonight, 20, I was in his class in school. ****ing so sad.

When out once you pick and choose where to go it's usually fine. One thing is that fights now aren't like fights back in my da's day when it was over and that was it, it's too dangerous now with fellas wanting "respect" and all that other bull.

Advertisement