Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The negotiation of the Lisbon Treaty

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

One other thing that may be worth considering when we go to the polls on Friday 2nd October, is the fact that the Lisbon Treaty is a document that is the direct result of the negotiations of all the countries of Europe. Everyone got to have a fair say in what they wanted from the treaty. In essence one cannot say fairer than that.

As we contemplate that fact, and we consider how wrong we might be to question whether or not this is a good deal for the people of Ireland, let us consider just one more thing. Let us consider who exactly it was that was negotiating our corner?

Was it the same people who agreed that the taxpayer should shoulder the burden, of the millions of Euro that would be incurred by the Church on account of sexual abuse cases. The more sceptical among us might question the backing that the catholic church gave the Treaty of Lisbon, not too long after such a serious bail out.

Is it the same people who are trying to figure out the ins and outs of NAMA, and just exactly how they can sell this to the Irish taxpayer?

Consider this, when you contmplate how the Lisbon Treaty was negotiated on your behalf. Question the assumption that those negotiating the treaty had your best intersts in mind when doing so. Or simply ask yourself, do you trust their negotiating skills enough to believe that this is the best deal for the Irish people.

One furhter point you might like to consider, when you are pondering on the skills of those that secured our interests during the negotiation of the Lisbon Treaty, is this:

Ireland has a uniquely strong bargaining position, in the fact that, we are the only country that is stopping this treaty from being ratified. The future of this treaty is in our hands, it will be decided by us. We have the EU over a barrell, and that is a fact.

Now, I am not for one second suggesting that we should use this fact for our personal gain, or that we should hold the rest of Europe to ransom, I am not. Quite the opposite, I am actually advocating giving all the other countries in Europe a right to have their say on the Lisbon Treaty, like we are required to get.

But considering our uniquely strong bargaining position, I think even I would have been able to negotiate that the guarantees we received from the rest of those (that tried to sneak this Treaty through), would be written into the Treaty itself, set to be made legal at some mythical point in the future with the ratification of the next Treaty - which doesn't need to happen for some time becuase of the powers that Lisbon will bestow.

Remember now, who these guarantees were negotiateed by and their track record wehn it comes to negotiating. Also, remember who they were negotiated with, those that mananged to secure themselves a serious increase in decision making power.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

The Catholic Church hasn't 'backed' Lisbon, they've said that nothing in the treaty goes against any of the church's teachings. In other words - Coir are lying.
    mangaroosh wrote: »
    I think even I would have been able to negotiate that the guarantees we received from the rest of those (that tried to sneak this Treaty through), would be written into the Treaty itself, set to be made legal at some mythical point in the future with the ratification of the next Treaty - which doesn't need to happen for some time becuase of the powers that Lisbon will bestow.

What powers would they be?

Also, the next treaty that is often referred to will more than likely be an accession treaty for Croatia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The will become legally binding upon ratification of the Lisbon treaty.

If you don't believe me and everyone else who has pointed it out to you numerous times, here is a second opnion from a lecturer in EU law.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/no-claims-have-no-basis-in-law-1898157.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Was it the same people who agreed that the taxpayer should shoulder the burden, of the millions of Euro that would be incurred by the Church on account of sexual abuse cases. The more sceptical among us might question the backing that the catholic church gave the Treaty of Lisbon, not too long after such a serious bail out.

Is it the same people who are trying to figure out the ins and outs of NAMA, and just exactly how they can sell this to the Irish taxpayer?

Once again, mangaroosh's principal rationale for voting No is that it gives a seal of approval to those who have been campaigning for a Yes, which is hardly related to the Treaty. And once again he/she fails to apply this logic to the No side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm not quite sure how much negotiation went on for the Lisbon Treaty. I think the bulk of negotiations were all done for the Constitutional Treaty and then the input to Lisbon was just on how to keep the reforms and remove the reference to a constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

As we contemplate that fact, and we consider how wrong we might be to question whether or not this is a good deal for the people of Ireland, let us consider just one more thing. Let us consider who exactly it was that was negotiating our corner?

Wasn't it John Bruton that lead the Irish delegation to the convention?

• Advertisement
Advertisement