Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MRCP/MCEM tips?!

Options
  • 29-09-2009 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

Lads I'm thinking about doing Part 1/Part A of the MRCP/MCEM early next year, the dates are close enough together so I'm half thinking of doing both, and for a few other reasons too.

There's a few well versed people around here, so I'm looking for tips re: books/studying for these. I'm a bit far from the security of Ireland so trying to get as much info as I can so I can have a decent stab at them first time.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I have the MRCP and MRCPI exams and am also eyeballing the MCEM exams.

To be honest - apart from reading widely in the condensed study guides, one of the best resources of all is the Oxford handbooks which have all the information but sometimes lack the detail needed. Its possible to do practise MCQs online which certainly help to guide you and help you know if you are at the knowledge level to pass them.

I used a combination of these to get through the two written papers and the clinical exam is a bit more unpredictable - sensible clinical knowledge, good clinical examination to elicit signs and luck/confidence is needed to get through the final clinical component.

knowing more is better - but its not just about exams - the more knowledge you have, the better a doctor you will be in your job so its a win/win scenario to just read up on stuff all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

DrIndy wrote: »
    I have the MRCP and MRCPI exams and am also eyeballing the MCEM exams.

To be honest - apart from reading widely in the condensed study guides, one of the best resources of all is the Oxford handbooks which have all the information but sometimes lack the detail needed. Its possible to do practise MCQs online which certainly help to guide you and help you know if you are at the knowledge level to pass them.

I used a combination of these to get through the two written papers and the clinical exam is a bit more unpredictable - sensible clinical knowledge, good clinical examination to elicit signs and luck/confidence is needed to get through the final clinical component.

knowing more is better - but its not just about exams - the more knowledge you have, the better a doctor you will be in your job so its a win/win scenario to just read up on stuff all the time.

Indy you would be mad to do MCEM when you dont need it
    if looking for Em as a career you have the entry exams if you move now

You are in OZ though and their exams are different arent they

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The exams in Oz consist of a 4 part basic exam (anatomy, physiology, pharm and something else) and the another exit exam 4 years later. It's kinda tempting right now the way Ireland is (in general). I don't know where that would leave me in terms of coming home, would you aim for the SpR straight away or do a Reg year first.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Vorsprung wrote: »
    The exams in Oz consist of a 4 part basic exam (anatomy, physiology, pharm and something else) and the another exit exam 4 years later. It's kinda tempting right now the way Ireland is (in general). I don't know where that would leave me in terms of coming home, would you aim for the SpR straight away or do a Reg year first.

why not do SPR in OZ, its recognised here, best of both worlds

Advertisement