Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nestle Boycott

Options
  • 29-09-2009 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Hi

In light of Nestles actions In Zimbabwe I have written to them asking them to source milk from other farms. In other countries if need be. Till this is announced I wont be buying their produce anywhere.

If anyone feels the inclination to do the same I would like to see them flooded with queries worldwide till someone tells them(Nestle SA) to stop supporting the Mugabe family.

If this is in the wrong place please move it.

Thanks
    Z

Link to story
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8277481.stm

How these Farms are obtained
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7908630.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Nestle products are muck anyway... I've no idea why anybody would buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cool could you just write to them and say that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Already wrote dude.

Its our duty to let Nestle know that they cant keep doing this sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm sure they'll notice because you dont buy a few bars of chocolate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

yeah i emailed them there voicing my concern.

thanks for the links etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Then you taking any stance over the Zimbabwe issue isn't going to worry them too much, is it?:rolleyes:

I have very mixed feelings on this (having some friends who are farmers in Zimbabwe) as the right and wrong of seizing farms from white farmers is debatable and probably not for this forum. Sufficient to say that the treatment of workers by some white farmers left a lot to be desired.
    We'd be boycotting an awful lot of products if we only knew every aspect of their production.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We'd be boycotting an awful lot of products if we only knew every aspect of their production.
    +1
    Coke anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

krudler wrote: »

Of course they will, if ENOUGH people don't buy their chocolate.

RangeR wrote: »
    Of course they will, if ENOUGH people don't buy their chocolate.

Certainly. But you missed the point. Read the posts. That particular person wouldn't and doesn't eat Nestle anyway!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Certainly. But you missed the point. Read the posts. That particular person doesn't wouldn't and doesn't eat Nestle anyway!:rolleyes:

I read the whole thread before I posted. My point still stands. :confused:

• Advertisement

We'd be boycotting an awful lot of products if we only knew every aspect of their production

bingo, every big corporation has shady business practices, its a fact of life, remember that when you're buying Coca Cola in Tesco and eating in Mcdonalds while driving a Ford car

Lads I am sure there is loads of dodgy deals going on in several corporations but in this case

Mugabe is not in my opinion someone I want even a 5th of a cent of my money going to. I merely want that fact conveyed to Nestle.

A lot of these farmers took out Mortgages after 1980 and deserve the right to own the land they purchased under local laws regardless of the colour of their skin.

Have a good day, try more news and less WWE.

GreeBo wrote: »
    +1
    Coke anyone?

I only know this issue so I can only act on what I see. I see your concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Then you taking any stance over the Zimbabwe issue isn't going to worry them too much, is it?:rolleyes:

Hang on a second - before you get on your high horse... there are more reasons other than the standard of their products that I refuse to buy them.

Either way, I don't buy their products.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Have a good day, try more news and less WWE.

Yeah because I watch WWE that means my opinion is meaningless, nice signature by the way , it could belong to Mugabe himself ;)

Yeah because I watch WWE that means my opinion is meaningless, nice signature by the way , it could belong to Mugabe himself ;)
    Ok I apologise , your original comment still was still piontless though.

I did actually get a response so I decided to show their side
    nestle wrote:
    Hi <snip>,

We refer to your contact about Nestlé's purchase of fresh milk in Zimbabwe.

We have had a presence in Zimbabwe for many years and own and operate a factory in Harare, producing milk powder and cereals mainly for the local market. We employ around 200 people there and provide additional employment for many hundreds of milk farmers and other suppliers and we take our responsibilities to these people very seriously.

The continuous supply of fresh quality milk is crucial to our operations in Zimbabwe. During the last few years we have witnessed the collapse of Zimbabwe’s dairy industry. We prefer to work within contractual arrangements to ensure a consistent supply of fresh milk, but at the end of 2008, we found ourselves operating in a market where 8 of our 16 contractual suppliers had gone out of business.

As a result, in early 2009, we were forced to purchase milk on the open market from a wide variety of suppliers on a non-contractual basis. This includes milk from the Gushungo Dairy Estate which today accounts for between 10 and 15 % of our local milk supply.

Importantly, despite the ongoing crisis in Zimbabwe, we have not considered moving our operation out of the country. Why not? Because by providing basic food products to Zimbabwean consumers, we aim to meet the needs of the local population, many of whom are vulnerable and disadvantaged. Had we decided to close down our operations in Zimbabwe, we would have triggered food shortages and hundreds of job losses among our employees and milk suppliers there in what is already a very difficult situation.

Sincerely,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I only know this issue so I can only act on what I see. I see your concern.

Make yourself informed, Coca Cola has done some extremely questionable stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Cabaal wrote: »
    Make yourself informed, Coca Cola has done some extremely questionable stuff

Including providing hundreds of jobs in wexford, athy & ballina where the concentrates for Europe & middle east are made.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mcaul wrote: »
    Including providing hundreds of jobs in wexford, athy & ballina where the concentrates for Europe & middle east are made.

Yes, thats brill
    Try stealing local water supplys in South America.....it takes 2ltrs of water to make 1ltr of coca cola after all so they need LOTS and LOTS of water even in countrys where they operate with limited water.

Polluting local water supplys, allowing suppliers to employee children to supply ingredients for coca cola.

Oh and lets see, producing contaminated coca cola in India and when they got found out they flat out deny it and launch a massive PR compaign by employing a famous bollywood actor.

But because they employ a few people in Ireland thats alright then
    :rolleyes:

mcaul wrote: »

Which makes everything they do legit?

Nestle provide jobs here too so what was all the hullapalloo about there?

Nimbyism at it's best!

Advertisement