Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new senior work colleague

Options
  • 29-09-2009 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a public sector body where the jobs are graded similarly to the civil service, and I work part-time on the lowest grade (equivalent to CO). In CV terms it's a step down I guess compared with my previous roles, and although what I do is relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of my employer's organisation, I enjoy it and have no issue with it. Recently two vacancies came up in my department that are the next grade up from me (I was offered the option of applying but declined as it's not what I want to do long term) and two new ladies were hired. One of them is lovely, the other is a nightmare.

The one I find very hard to work with is a older than myself and the other girl, in her late 40s/early 50s. Before she started we were told a bit about her and that she has in the past worked at much higher pay grades in the public sector. Since she started she makes no secret of the fact that she thinks her job is totally below her, and she has huge issue with our boss (though not to his face) and has made statements about being better at his job than he is. Outwardly she is very chatty and sociable, so people in other departments think she is very nice and friendly, but as regards work it's a totally different matter.

Ordinarily I'd dismiss it as a clash of personalities and I do for the most part, however it's increasingly spilling over into our work relationship and I wake up dreading work every morning. She passes off my work as her own, tries to palm her mistakes off on me (I don't report directly to her and the other girl at her grade but I do the backup work to what they do) and refuses to even entertain the fact that I might be able to assist her in some way or know something she doesn't. I worked there for about 9 months before her and the other girl started and so it's natural that although I work below them I'd be more familiar with the systems and processes than they were to begin with. She can't handle this! She refuses to ask me for help if she doesn't know something and on the few occasions when I have tried to help her (she's been giving clients wrong information or telling them we haven't received stuff because she doesn't know the filing processes) she has been quite 'snotty' about it for want of a better word. Things came to a head last week when she tried to take charge of a project I was doing for another department (one where she has no experience but I have from a previous job) and when I said I was almost finished and didn't need a hand with it she came back with a laugh and a 'God help us all then'.

I really don't know what to do about this. She isn't the kind of person I could have a 'cards on the table' chat with and I don't think it's an issue management would or even could deal with? At the same time I feel it is effecting our work going beyond a clash of personalities. I understand it might be difficult for her taking a step back in her career, I've done the same, but I don't have a chip on my shoulder about it.

Sorry this is so long! Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Tinkerbell09

i wouldnt have a cards on the table chat with her- it sounds like she has a chip on her shoulder already regarding you so why would you give her more ammunition? she will only use it to her advantage, you wont gain anything there.
    it seems like your natural instinct was to be friendly and helpful to the new starters, but she does not deserve your kindness so dont be helpful to her, just get on wit your job, and keep a diary of your work so you have a note of what you work on.

be nice, cooly polite, and dont get drawn into her slagging off others. trust me, she will draw you into saying something about someone then spread it.
    try also being happy. i went around my office humming and being in general good form, which mysteriously really rattled my antagonisers cage;)

Advertisement