Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you taunt while playing SF4?

• 29-09-2009 8:58am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was playinga fellow Boardsie last night in SF4 and after doing well in round 1 of game 1, he taunted me.

I never taunt unless I'm taunted first but I'm wondering if people do it online against known/unknown players.

Anyone use it as a tactical move (some players get angry and attack more)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I just can't resist throwing out a taunt after I dizzy an opponent.

Also great for baiting dragon punchs after knocking down Ken/Ryu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I taunt the following

Akumas who just jump back and fireball
    Chun Li's who dont know how to walk forward
    Flowchart kens - I love playing these **taunt SRK taunt SRK**
    Giefs who only use Crouching HK and lariat

And of course anyone who taunts me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 smdylan

or sagats that keep jumping back into the corner medium kicking :rolleyes:

when your playing as dan you just have to taunt, but i usually use it when a player is being too defensive and not attacking me,

bisons telport then taunt works well to get them to get up off there arse and do something:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Sorry dude... its just a habit! I do it at meet-ups too... GGs though i enjoyed them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I usually have it diabled by default, when I started the game first, I'd accidentally hit HP and HK at the same time and the taunt would come out. I just disabled it, and have never bothered to enable it.

My idea of taunting is just throwing out jabs from full screen, or a focus~dackdash. For some reason I find throwing out safe jabs a lot keeps my timing better (I guess its like how a basketball player will bounce the ball 3 times before a free throw, maintains focus). Plus it also makes my opponent think I'm buffering the demon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Xinkai wrote: »
    Sorry dude... its just a habit! I do it at meet-ups too... GGs though i enjoyed them!

Oh, don't worry didn't get offended at all! Yeah some epic Ryu mirror matches. Am quite happy with my progression on the stick.

My taunt in the final match when I was 2-0 ahead with my Ken vs your Ryu only to lose 3-2...epic fail!

Just got me thinking about taunting in general and its application as a genuine tool.

Looking forward to playing you again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I hardly ever taunt. I only do it if say someone taunts me when they have a really good lead and i come back to win. I love how when i chase someone around the screen for 2 rounds and have had enough and just sit on the lead and the other dudes stays at the other side of the screen taunting.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I usually have it diabled by default, when I started the game first, I'd accidentally hit HP and HK at the same time and the taunt would come out. I just disabled it, and have never bothered to enable it.

My idea of taunting is just throwing out jabs from full screen, or a focus~dackdash. For some reason I find throwing out safe jabs a lot keeps my timing better (I guess its like how a basketball player will bounce the ball 3 times before a free throw, maintains focus). Plus it also makes my opponent think I'm buffering the demon.

I usually do a focus dashback in the first 2-3 seconds of a game vs a randomer online and I'll usually focus absorb their first projectile as a sign of intent. Anything to keep em thinking!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just got me thinking about taunting in general and its application as a genuine tool.

I actually think taunting can be to a players detriment also. If someone taunts me, rather than get angry I usually get more focus to not let this cocky player beat me. While you might of been playing against someone on autopilot, taunting might just be enough for them to wake up and not make them dial in a loss.

Anyone see the video of sabin taunting that zangief in gods garden before sbo?A lession in how not to taunt, lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

People who taunt online piss me off. It's funny as well cause they usually lose. I take every opportunity to taunt them if they taunt me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Myself an Jim had a great match in xgc a few months back where I managed to do a tiger uppercut - FADC - taunt :D

It was purely by accident. Normally I disable taunts. But in third strike, now thats a different matter entirely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

bush wrote: »
    I love how when i chase someone around the screen for 2 rounds and have had enough and just sit on the lead and the other dudes stays at the other side of the screen taunting.

Lol yeah whats that all about? Most recently I was playing a guy who had about two hp worth of life left and I had full bar. His tactic then on was to retreat to full screen and taunt while the time ran out.

Anyway I don't taunt. Maybe against a randomer online who does so first or when playing as Dan (you kind of have to then), but usually never unless by accident.

Creature wrote: »
    Lol yeah whats that all about? Most recently I was playing a guy who had about two hp worth of life left and I had full bar. His tactic then on was to retreat to full screen and taunt while the time ran out.

Anyway I don't taunt. Maybe against a randomer online who does so first or when playing as Dan (you kind of have to then), but usually never unless by accident.

Whats worse is ive had these people message me calling me a coward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

animaX wrote: »
    Myself an Jim had a great match in xgc a few months back where I managed to do a tiger uppercut - FADC - taunt :D

It was purely by accident. Normally I disable taunts. But in third strike, now thats a different matter entirely

Taunts have a purpose in Third Strike though. Some characters gain extra power for their next attack and others gain extra stamina or stun damage.

Most characters can stack their taunt bonus three to four times.

Accidental or not, thats taking taunting to a whole new level. When I'm playing a twit in Player mode online and I get a few taunts, I play Dan and do his super Taunt, burn all my bars and proceed to beat him....woo hoo!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    ....woo hoo!!!

I read that bit in my mind in dans voice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I generally only taunt during player matches with people I know when I know they'll take it in good humour. A few times I've gotten entire matches where its become a competition on who can get the most taunts out safely heh.

As was said I rarely get angry when someone taunts me online, just more determined to beat them. The only time taunting really pisses me off is during a really really laggy game and the other player is beating me and taunts.

Taunts have a purpose in Third Strike though. Some characters gain extra power for their next attack and others gain extra stamina or stun damage.

Most characters can stack their taunt bonus three to four times.

I know yeah, thats what I'm saying! Nothing beats Q's taunts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

The only time I ever feel the need to taunt, is when I only land one hit of Ryu's ultra after the FADC. Better than just standing there looking like a prat :)

Also anyone who plays against my ken should expect to see this one day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV55NVJuWOU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

My attitude towards this has changed since 3s. Back during 3rd strike on 2df taunts would really piss people off, myself included.

Of course I'm not talking about the times they're used for their properties, people knew when a taunt was being used to be a prick or just part of playing the game. T'was the being a prick part that was infuriating, resulted in many a rage fuelled taunt fest ken v ken mirror matches that would eventually turn into an in-game flame war. As on 2df you can chat to people in game like most pc games.

If you accidentally taunted, you'd instantly apologise to the guy in game otherwise a friendly fun match would turn nasty.

In 3s you can ko people with taunts , you can taunt after you've koed someone, but you can't interrupt a taunt.

In SFIV they're 'personal actions' and you get to pick which one you wanna use out of 10! And you get to see your now 3D character act and say something generally amusing or relevant to how you've known that character through out the SF series.
    Still, I generally wont use one in a match where I'm playing a guy for a good session, I respect him etc, has it can still be seen as 'disrespectful'. There are times though when you could use your personal actions and you know it wont cause a negitive reaction during these matches, like a stand off type moment.

However this is during matches where I respect the guy :p. If I have to spend a round chasing someone whos running away from me the whole damn time I'll start taunting. As a sign of both my lack of respect for his gameplay style plus to try and **** with his head a bit. :D

Flowchat kens shall be taunted just before I punish their SRK. Baited wake up ultras shall be taunted etc etc. See the funny thing about SFIV is you can interrupt the taunt, so they're pretty safe to do in those situations.

Sometimes I'll just taunt cause I like the animation however :p (Although only against randomers)

However you can't taunt after you've koed someone. They just didnt want people doing that in this game it seems. But there has been a hand full of times I managed to finish a guy with akuma or ryu, with a fire ball, but just before the fireball hit them, hit taunt.

This results in a really badass looking slow motion taunt that takes place during the KO (with ryu taunt 10 and akuma taunt 7 anyway....yes...I pick specific taunts for my characters :p)

Only other time I might taunt is well during those times where I'm playing a guy and one of us might get interrupted in RL and stop playing for a sec (or lag spikes happen or something) I'll instantly stop attacking a guy the moment I realise he's not controlling his character. I'll wait for him to deal with whatever he's dealing with, when I see the character move again, I'd taunt to kinda signify the continuation of the match. Usually the other guy acknowledges this, taunts back and we start playing again.

I'll also taunt the **** out of you if I'm playing as dan but that does without saying :pac:

Heres how not to taunt at 7.40

lol.

One thing I forgot to add though, this is more mocking then taunting but vibrating sagats are hilarious.

Not everyone of these is a sagat player but most are, I'm sure we've all encountered players like this, they back up, and as you approach, they start vibrating up and down trying to buffer their moves or some ****. When I see that **** you can guarantee that almost every spare second I have for the remainder of the round will be spent tapping down as fast as possible. Landed a sweep? tapping down, landed a throw? tapping down baited an ultra? tapping down!

Its funny approaching these guys, getting through their tiger shots with focus or jumping and in between it all tapping down like a mad thing only to have them start to do it again when I get close, they'll almost always **** up.

Best part is you can continue mocking them after the ko by tapping down. muahhahaa:pac:

This was in 3s also but it was less buffering and more people trying to parry low.. I mocked them also :p

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

As I get more confident playing the game I taunt much more. I also like to throw them out the most when a dude expects me to chase him when I'm in the health driving seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I only taunt when my opponent really deserves it. I got Ultraed in a G1 semi-final by a lame-ass Blanka player as I was taunting him in response to him doing fullscreen taunts from his(then)hopeless situation....unfortunately 'BLEED FOR ME HA! HA! HA HA!!' takes about 5 secconds to get out!

You can interrupt them though, dash or do a move. Sakuras english number 6 taunt is a real mind ****, she laughs and then makes a fart sound with her nose. Pretty funny to spam tbh, whilst beating your opponent. Yes, people did rage quit. I think actually my 1st psn hate mail was from a guy I did that to.

I said this before I think, but after he rage quit I sent him a message saying "sorry, I was just messin around" and then he totally unloaded on me in reply. If I could send sound files over PSN I woulda sent a recording of her taunt, instead:

"HA HA HA HA FART" was the best I could do.... :( lol

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Taunted last night wile playing Champ mode.. It had to be done cause the person just kept jumpin in and out in and out.. so on so forth... I kept up the AA Srk's.. Once the taunt was just about done, Demon..

Dont usually taunt thou...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Taunting turtlers is fine, people who will only pick high tier characters fine, but during heavy lag matches **** off.

I'll leave a match if someone does that. I usually send a message along the lines of: if you werent a prat i would have finished the game with you.

No one good at the game does that anyway.

There are many behaviours in IV that make me taunt, those overly negative players especially when the sit on a life lead.

If i play against someone who sucks i usually give them advice.
    If they suck and are arrogant, My vega owns them.
    In his pink pants, needlessly back flipping, wall jumping, joke flying barcalona attacks and removing his claw on the way

in fact remove claw into slide, pick back up claw, is one of my favourite moves

Oh and picking random select.

I used to love akuma's taunt where he pounds the ground coz you can actually interrupt it and go into a demon flip just before he punches the ground. Great way to catch an opponent off guard!

• Advertisement

I used to love akuma's taunt where he pounds the ground coz you can actually interrupt it and go into a demon flip just before he punches the ground. Great way to catch an opponent off guard!

His #7 taunt starts up looking like the animation before a red fireball comes out. used it a few times and it worked to bait a jump in (to get me in my redfireball recovery frames), as you can start it up, then cancel out and AA

I personally like his #6 taunt where he turns his back and does the Jesus pose and shouts "such ineptitude"

His #7 taunt starts up looking like the animation before a red fireball comes out. used it a few times and it worked to bait a jump in (to get me in my redfireball recovery frames), as you can start it up, then cancel out and AA

I personally like his #6 taunt where he turns his back and does the Jesus pose and shouts "such ineptitude"

Yeah got caught with that a few times the other night!

Oh, and I hate english voice akuma!! I find the jap voice much better

Oh, and I hate english voice akuma!! I find the jap voice much better

Oh yeah, so do I. Most of my characters are Japanese, except for the English and American ones.

Oh yeah, so do I. Most of my characters are Japanese, except for the English and American ones.

I really like english voice gouken. Nothing beats the "its no use" after a successful parry/counter :cool:

Thats his 3s taunt :cool: I never pick akuma without picking taunt 7 :p ryus taunt 10 is his 3s taunt too.

Its gonna be interesting actually if dudley and ibuki are in this as their taunts were a part of their gameplay. Ibuki jumps on the other guys shoulders and hops over them (this will ko them if they've no health and she'll wave in slow motion :p example ) But mid fight this taunt pretty much works the way fei longs switch around thingy works.

Dudley throws a rose at you.:D Its a big part of his corner trap game and so forth. Works similar to how Sean uses his basketball. Because the taunts actually hurt the other players it'll knock them out of the air etc The game prevents dudley and sean spamming their taunts though.

It'll be a pity if they remove this aspect to those characters, be interesting anyway to see what they do.

I read somewhere that in SF4, dudley's story is that he is looking for a rose (as opposed to 3rd strike where he was looking for his car). So would that mean he doesn't have his rose taunt?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i taunted up north in the sf3 championship
    i was that good.

taunted in the face of death

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

animaX wrote:
    I read somewhere that in SF4, dudley's story is that he is looking for a rose (as opposed to 3rd strike where he was looking for his car). So would that mean he doesn't have his rose taunt?!

Yeah but he has his car at this stage so he just drives over people with it instead. But only the people with no dignity.

As for taunting don't really do it much but seeing how it annoys so many of you here I'm going have to start using it much more :D

Azza wrote: »
    As for taunting don't really do it much but seeing how it annoys so many of you here I'm going have to start using it much more :D

You don't have to taunt to annoy us :P

taunting doesn't annoy me at all in sf4, I really enjoy the personal actions lol. Started messing around with Gen recently, love his personal actions and I will use them if I'm playing as him :p

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It's not really taunting, but it could be viewed in the same light. How do you all feel about attacking after K.O.? Personally I like to dash back when possible, attacking is a bit like rubbing it in. Unless they deserved it :p

• Advertisement

Thats worse than taunting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I always go for that extra hit after the KO.

I just like the slow motion aspect of it.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The worst post KO hits are the ones where your opponent waits just til you're about to hit the ground to jab you... Grrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I don't care about hitting them post-KO (nor taunting), most of the time myself I'm absent-mindedly mashing buttons and it happens anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I hit after KO all the time. I just use it as a game to play.....and try and use different last hits every time. Don't see it as taunting personally......its just there.

I always do Sagats fake kick after KO (not always intentionally) since the slow-mo makes it so easy to execute by just pressing HK a few times. I'd say that's pretty annoying on the other side though!

I'm the same after the KO. Will usually try and see what I can get out. A slowmotion jab reset before they hit the ground is hilarious.

Another thing that looks hilarious is quickly doing a bunch of crouchs on the spot.

Not really doing it to taunt, it's just something to do during the unskippable slomo at the end of the match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i dont generally taunt unless its funny. i tend to find that console players and ppl playing console games on the pc get wound up far easier which is hilarious. you need a brass neck to play something like DotA ya see :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

sorry to bring sf3 again but there was more time to hit opponents so u cud do cool juggles, sf4 should have that because theres alot of wait watching your opponent die/fall till the next round

Placebo wrote: »
    sorry to bring sf3 again but there was more time to hit opponents so u cud do cool juggles, sf4 should have that because theres alot of wait watching your opponent die/fall till the next round

Farzad and Third Strike, I now pronounce you husband and wife :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement