Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change Machine in Galway

Options
  • 29-09-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a change machine in Galway, preferably on the east side of town?
    The ones where you can dump in your change and then collect the notes equivalent at the counter minus a small percentage.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can find some machines on www.coinstar.ie or www.coinexpress.ie but beware the cost, which can be close to 10%

Check with some banks what they charge to change it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

On the east side, there is one in Supervalu Ballybane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You'd be better off to get some money bags (free) from the bank, and change the coinage in your local pub. You could save the cost of lunch, or a couple of pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Most large pubs have coin counters and would probably be glad of the change

I reckon most churchs would probably have them too for their collections and would probably let you use them for a smaller percentage... like 5% maybe if you ask nicely

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'll count it for ya for 8% only. :pac:

in all seriousness you're throwing your cash away using those machines. I woulda lost a tenner on the last emptying of the small piggy bank I have. Took about 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 contraceptor

It's not a small percentage tho.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'll bid to do it for 7.5%.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

6.1%

...I'm bored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I think the banks do that for free if you split it up into denominations, 2 cent coins in one bag, 5 cent coins in another bag and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The banks will *change* it for you, but you must first bag it yourself and count it into denominations of coinage in the bags they provide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i used to chuck my coins in a jar and then when it was full count them out and lodge them. i now pile them in groups by denomination and bag them when there's enough for a bank bag. Them machines would be grand if it were just a big pile of coppers you had but if you've more than 50 quid on the go you'll notice the commission kicking in. i've roughly 450 on the go at the moment and i'd prefer not to throw 45 quid down the drain on commission, i'd be able to buy plenty of steak for that money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

inisboffin wrote: »
    The banks will *change* it for you, but you must first bag it yourself and count it into denominations of coinage in the bags they provide.
    No, you don't need to count it. We handed over the change jar bagged into coin types and they handed back the foldin' money.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    No, you don't need to count it. We handed over the change jar bagged into coin types and they handed back the foldin' money.

So you have no idea how much commission they charged, then.

:-)

I'm down to 6.05% now I think ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start buying everything you need in the pound shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm down to 6.05% now I think ... ;)

6% and I'll throw in a free Kinder Egg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Do your shopping in Tesco and throw them into the self-service checkout! Yeap... I'm that guy holding up the queue! (Do it at an off-peak time)

I used to live in Norway for a while, you could go into the bank... go to the change machine, swipe your bank card then through in mixed coins and it counted it up and added it to your account without commission. Wish banks here did that.

Haha just noticed their slogan on the machine - "Turn Your Coins into Cash"! Next they'll be turning rabbits into animals! :rolleyes:
    Ad-Spot.jpg

Amhran Nua wrote: »

Not in my branch of AIB! The coin bags are clearly marked in denominations of say 5ver in 2c etc. You don't have to count the total *bags* - but that's the easy part! The whole point of those baggies is that they each hold a specific amount.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Not in my branch of AIB! The coin bags are clearly marked in denominations of say 5ver in 2c etc. You don't have to count the total *bags* - but that's the easy part! The whole point of those baggies is that they each hold a specific amount.

I don't see why you can't hand in a bag of coins sorted to coin-value. All they have to do is weigh the lot, and divide by the weight of 1 coin....

gary82 wrote: »
    I don't see why you can't hand in a bag of coins sorted to coin-value. All they have to do is weigh the lot, and divide by the weight of 1 coin....

Dunno myself! They used to do that years ago, I remember from my summer job in a shop. Or we would weigh the coins in the shop sweet scales - ugh!

Probably because it isn't an efficient use of resources I'd say though!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You can buy trays that the coins fit into and then you just look at where in the coin tray they go to and that tells you how much money is in there.

Xiney wrote: »
    You can buy trays that the coins fit into and then you just look at where in the coin tray they go to and that tells you how much money is in there.

That works well for some people, but personally I found that by the time I placed them in the trays, I was just as fast counting. I count fast tho.

gary82 wrote: »

Because they've figured out that they can make more profit by charging you for the service?

Mr Just has a coin-collecting habit. Every so often he counts it out himself, and takes the non-coppers into a pub to get 'em changed (it helps that he's kind of staff there). The coppers he gives to me, and I proceed to spend 'em in 10 or 20 c batches (along with other change) over the next few weeks. This amazing how fast you can get through it if you try.

Advertisement