Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

17-85mm F4-5.6 Canon USM

• 29-09-2009 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any opinion on this lens.

I am looking to upgrade the standard 18-55mm kit lens with this because it has a better build quality and a Ultrasonic Motor

Let me know if this is a good choice.

I was quoted a price of 379 in Gunns

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Not a bad everyday lens - images are a bit soft wide open though and if suffers from bad barrel distortion* at 17mm. After 2.5 years it's still my main lens (because I haven't upgraded it to something better yet!).

*I read a review of the 24-105mm f/4 L and people had the same complaint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

It's a big step-up from the kit lens in terms of quality. I used one for a while and found it to be excellent, a good all-rounder.

The only thing to consider is that it is an EF-S lens and as such is not compatible with full frame Canon bodies such as the 5D, 5D MkII, 1D etc.. If you are planning on moving up to such a body in the near future then you may need to think about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I take it this is the non IS version of this lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

got it as my kit lens, probably the best all-rounder on a canon crop body, but as ElectronEng mentioned its EFS , it wont fit on a full frame body

as it has been sold as a kit lens, you could probably find it second-hand, i have seen plenty sold on adverts.ie for a lot less than €379

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Had one for 12 months. Highly recommended. Replaced with 17-55 2.8 lens. Have a look at my Flickr page. Many of the images there shot with the 17-85 lens. But get the IS version.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

thanks for all the suggestions. The version I am talking about is the IS version.

Saw it for sale in Birminghams for 340 which is think is the best price I'm gonna pay for it.

I'll keep you posted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

swingking wrote: »
    thanks for all the suggestions. The version I am talking about is the IS version.

Saw it for sale in Birminghams for 340 which is think is the best price I'm gonna pay for it.

I'll keep you posted :)

That's a great price - snap it up! It's €506 (not inc delivery) on Pixmania:eek:.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/56598/art/canon/ef-s-17-85-f-4-5-6-is-usm.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

got the lens from Birminghams for a total of 300 euro. I know it's second hand but it was in amazing condition.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I'm looking forward to shooting some great pics with this lens. Feels so much sturdier than the kit lens and has both the USM and manual focusing ring so feels really professional.

Advertisement