Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macroom to Cork Morning Commute - Careless Drivers

Options
  • 29-09-2009 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

I commute from Macroom to Cork each morning and I am fed up of reckless drivers ignoring the road markings and overtaking at every possible opportunity.

I have been on 3 weeks leave and yesterday morning was my first day back doing the commute, I had forgotten how bad it actually is. On 3 occasions I had cars overtake me on single and double white lines, on one of those occurrences the car overtook 5 or 6 cars on a bend in order to get passed us.

I don't think I have experienced a road like this before, people driving this road in the morning don't seem to take heed of the speed limit or the road markings. Granted though, I'm not saying that all people driving this road are the same, it always seems to be the same drivers each morning. I travel in at the same time each morning and like other people I get used to seeing the same cars, vans and buses on the road each morning :)

Have other people noticed this too? Perhaps it's just me but it really really annoys me to see people be completely ignorant to other drivers who are trying to drive safely :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Has a lot to do with the insane road markings they have on that road, long straights with continious double white lines etc, road needs to be replaced but too many objectors to the Lee Valley project put the skids on it... Pun intended!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Has a lot to do with the insane road markings they have on that road, long straights with continious double white lines etc, road needs to be replaced but too many objectors to the Lee Valley project put the skids on it... Pun intended!

That still doesn't give any driver the right to completely ignore them. That road has an oddly large number of turn off roads, I imagine that that is why there are so many continuous white lines, they have to be there for a reason. The safer the better in my opinion.

Nope they were put there in some crazy idea of road safety a few years ago, been in and out that road for years before they ruined it and there was never really a problem but now I guess its full of 100KPH huggers who don't know how to move out of the way so you end up with people taking chances.

One of the major problems with road safety in Ireland is issues exactly like this, main roads unnecessarily restricted resulting in people just ignoring the areas where the restrictions are needed, who hasn't seen road works / speed restiction signs still up months if not years after work has been completed resulting in people not trusting the signs that are there for good reason.

Travel safe.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

there was never really a problem but now I guess its full of 100KPH huggers who don't know how to move out of the way

Move out of the way? Where do you want them to move to? The hard shoulder? 100 KPH is the speed limit, nothing wrong with sticking to it and people driving at that speed shouldn't have to move out of the way for other impatient drivers. And they shouldn't have to put up with people driving up their asses for it either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Move out of the way? Where do you want them to move to? The hard shoulder?
    Yup. Move Over.

• Advertisement

biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

ha, what time? i leave ballyvourney at 6:30. Two clowns in particular ebery morning make me laugh/cry depending on how i'm feeling. A metallic blue focus traveling at 40kph before macroom and a bmw in Lissarda who travels on the mysterious middle lane between lissarda and ballincollig passing about five cars at a time despite there being about a mile tailback.

A special thanks to the person in what looked like a fiat at seven last night who decided that they would like to look at the scenery whilst going 35kph from outside lissarda to macroom, i'd like to shake your hand and then maybe your neck :mad:

Advertisement