Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card for 3Ds Max, Photoshop, Flight Sim X

Options
  • 29-09-2009 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of customizing a dell studio XPS and am a little clueless on graphics cards. The spec is Intel i7 920 (2.66Ghz), 8Gb Ram, vista 64bit, 500Gb HD, and I need to choose a gfx card.

This machine will be used for 3ds max (high poly modeling), vray, photoshop and Flight Sim X. I would like to run FSX with the highest FPS possible with high settings.

The default card is the GT220. I can upgrade this to a GTS240 (extra €70), or a 1.8Gb GTX 260 (extra €190). I cant find much info online about the 1.8Gb 260, Im assuming its OEM and new? Also, I may be able to call and customise it beyond the options online, and get a 1Gb ATI 4870 HD.

Any advice on this would be appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dpaulod

Hi there,
    you might take a look here

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19269320.aspx

Flight X is about the only game left on the market that is still
    very dependant on the cpu speed as opposed to the gpu. I have a similar set up as your dell xps with the GeForce 220 card (entry level) flight X runs great with all the settings on full on a 24" monitor. The xps does get a little noisy as cpu fans rev up and stay on for the duration of the game. However wolfenstein 2009 with resolution up full is unplayable. Also you are a little limited in your choice of video card given the dell 435mt has a 380 watt psu most high end gaming cards need over 500 watts psu to run, and
    that is not taking heat/cooling into consideration in the small 435mt box.

I decided to go for the Radeon HD 4670 - 1 GB GDDR3 as its power needs are within the range for the PSU and the graphic output is sufficent for a casual gamer like myself.

Hope this Helps

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Messerschmitt

From what I've heard ATI cards don't run FSX as well as NVidia.

Advertisement