Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Toby can't catch a break

Options
  • 29-09-2009 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

My poor Toby who suffered a really bad broken leg in April is back in hospital today with Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis. He was fine yesterday evening when we went out for dinner with some friends. When we got home a few hours later he had been sick in the kitchen.

He was still in good humour so we initially assumed he had been sick as he had been separated from Dougal and wearing a cone as he has a cut on one of his paws that he (or Dougal) is not supposed to lick. They hate being separated, they can see each other but can't cuddle which does worry him a bit.

As the night went on he had no interest in eating or drinking. At about 1am he started being sick again with the most foul, foul smelling vomit. My husband and I decided to stay up in shift so he went to bed while I stayed up. He was sick on and off until 4am, then at about 6.30am he did a bright red extremely runny poo. We had to wait another 2 hours for our vet to open in which time he was just basically leaking red, smelly liquid.

He's in hospital now on an IV as he's very dehydrated. He'll be on antibiotics and anti-nausea drugs too. He was very upset when he was taken away, he was crying softly when the vet carried him off.:( His prognosis is good, but I'm still very worried. A few years ago Dougal's brother died from poisoning which wasn't diagnosed until after he died, so I'm terrified the vet is wrong. Dougal is looking everywhere for Toby and is very upset that he can't find him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sorry to hear about Toby, I hope he's feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Fingers crossed Iguana ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Sorry he's so ill.

But I'd like to reassure you that my guy had something pretty similar last winter (started with runny poos at six, by seven he was throwing up and by eight I was calling the emergency vets as he was throwing up non-stop and it was red froth at that stage) and once he got the anti-nausea drugs etc. he was fine again by the next evening. They do look pretty miserable and depressed though, but hopefully your guy will recover as fast as Jasper did!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

poor toby,fingers crossed for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Toby has kidney failure.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

omg /hugs hun

The poor lil tyke

The next few hours are critical. I'm completely terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh no, poor Toby, fingers crossed that he pulls through, poor fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Hi Iguana,I hope you've someone you can talk to while you've this worry hanging over you. Fingers crossed for Toby and everyone who's worried about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Oh No! :( That's awful! I'll be thinking about the little guy and you Iguana.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The poor little thing!
    My thoughts are with you and Toby & Dougal and your family :(
    I'll hope for him to get better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Sorry to hear this Iguana, hopefully he will pull through, they're tough little buggers, dogs. My thoughts are with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

oh iguana, hope you, your partner and dougal are ok..... fingers crossed and thinking about toby...
    xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Oh poor Toby - I hope he is home & well with you soon!

He is on a very "heavy" IV to try and flush as much liquid through his system as they can to get his kidneys working again. His bladder has started to fill which is a sign of his kidneys coming back to life, so it's a good sign. The vet was positive about this but he's not out of the woods yet. He'll be on the IV for a few more days and when he comes off it they will be able to assess how much damage has been done.

My poor baby.

Well hopefully hes strong enough to get through it.

Do they know what caused the kidney failure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

He's doing alot better. He's no where out of the woods yet, but we got a phonecall from the vet, she helped on the operation on Toby's elbow, and called to let us know how he is.

God this was terrifying he went from puking to leaking blood out of his bum within 6 hours. God what I couldn't give for a House VD.

If you know myself and Iguana we lost a 7 month old puppy to what we thougt was a infection 2yrs ago, and we got toby as a replacement. We had two springer puppies Dini and Dougal. Dini was poisoned and died. Dougal was heartbroken. Then we found Toby He broke the mould we never thought that anyone could replace Dini, but Toby proved us wrong. The idea of losing another dog slays us. Dougal could never cope.

*The infection turned out to be a piece of bone laced with paraquat. Poor puppy Dini never stood a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Goodness that's awful Diogenes! you poor things, I can't imagine losing one of my dogs (we lost one years ago but she'd lived a good life).

My heart and thoughts go out to ye and I so so hope little Toby can pull through, I really do, please let us know how he's getting on. *hugs* to ye

I hope Toby recovers quickly and it's something that will repair itself over time, the poor lad seems to have had more than enough bad luck in his life!

andreac wrote: »
    Do they know what caused the kidney failure?

The most likely cause is some sort of poisoning, either through eating rotten food, picking up something like an old battery in the park or possibly even a snake bite (in Surrey, Eng).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Fingers crossed for Toby. He sounds a tough little guy and hopefully he'll be ok in a couple of days

He is able to urinate now, so his kidneys have recovered some function. They are doing more tests later to see how much recovery has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

Thats great to hear , hope he has a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Shocking tale - hope he continues to recover. The poor guy. You will never let him out of your sight again I'd say after all this stress!

Toby is home!!!!!:D

It appears the gastroenteritis caused the kidney failure, rather than the kidney failure caused the illness, which is the better outcome. His kidneys are in recovery, so we are hopeful he will make a full recovery. He'll need to be monitored closely for the next few months and is on lots of medicine and special food for now. But so far things look good.

He's really, really happy to be home and a completely different guy from the one we brought to the vet yesterday.
    16685b2c37756633936022f2aaa07074.png
    Here he is just home.
    0c19aedb3fafb56370150990665d95e1.png
    And back with Dougal and his beloved ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

ah thats great news . they are beautiful dogs .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thats great, he looks very happy with his ball.:D

Oh thats great news, you must be over the moon to have him home.

They are 2 beautiful doggies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Absolutely terrific news! :)

• Advertisement

Great news! I hope he makes a full recovery.

Advertisement