Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Release from 1 year lease

Options
  • 29-09-2009 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

HI,
    I'm just wondering how hard is it to get out of a 1 year lease? We just signed a lease a month ago for a lovely house. The problem is its on a busy road and we are not able to get use to the early morning traffic noise. Its driving us to dementia. We have a nice landlord but the estate agent we went through may not be as understanding. Can we be released from our lease with full deposit refund if we have a doctors note explaining our extreme lack of sleep.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

In short no! Was the road not there when you signed the lease? Your LL is entitled to keep your deposit and pursue you for the remaining rent owed on the lease, in this case 11 months

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I doubt a doctor's note will carry any weight at all.

You signed a one year lease, so you can be bound by that.

But, talk to your landlord. See what agreement you can come to. You should be able to give notice, within the terms of your lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Best case scenario you give one months notice and they return your deposit.

More likely is they keep your deposit and ask for the remaining 11 months rent.

The best situation to reach for is to try to reach a compromise where you give one or two months notice and they keep your deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 redddbop

Thanks for all the quick replies. The landlord is a really nice guy so maybe he can help us out. We viewed the property at a quiet time of the day. There was no work traffic. We also didn't realise that up to 8 buses pass by every hour. These are the real problem. I really like the house but this is a problem we couldn't have forseen until we actually slept in the house. Which obviously you cannot do until you sign your lease and move in. Its a small road with just 2 way traffic. You wouldn't expect that level of noise. I suppose we'll just have to be more careful next time. Thanks again for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

maybe if you sub-let the place and had new tennants waiting for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

redddbop wrote: »
    HI,
    I'm just wondering how hard is it to get out of a 1 year lease? We just signed a lease a month ago for a lovely house. The problem is its on a busy road and we are not able to get use to the early morning traffic noise. Its driving us to dementia. We have a nice landlord but the estate agent we went through may not be as understanding. Can we be released from our lease with full deposit refund if we have a doctors note explaining our extreme lack of sleep.
    Thanks

Only way out would be if the noise was due to some defect in the house, or the Landland / agent had gone on record stating it was quite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Your best option may be to buy a decent set of ear plugs.

Advertisement