Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, got a pork belly and want it to be gorqeous

Options
  • 29-09-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I dont post here much but do read the forum alot. I picked up a pork belly in Marks and Spencers the other day and am looking to cook it today but dont really know what I am doing,

I was going to put it in a dish, season with some salt after cutting into the fat at 230 for an hour, then another hour after that at 200 and baste it in its own juices in a baking tray.

I am wondering will leaving it sit in its own juices be ok with something so fatty :D:D And has anyone any tips or hints on what else I could do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Look up recipes for Rillettes or Rillons and follow them.
    Or you could try this recipe URL="http://lifes-indulgences.blogspot.com/2007/06/japanese-pork-simmered-stew-buta-no.html"]Linky[/URL
    I love pork belly, it is definately an indulgence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Ive had that pork belly from M&S before and it is very good however check the instructions as I think it was a slow cook job (i.e. 2-3hrs at 160C). I would be very hesitant about doing it at a higher temp as you are suggesting as that would dry it out.

I followed the cooking instructions and added some white wine to the base of the the roasting dish and turned the joint every 30 mins. Well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Rick Stein's version is rocking

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sharonl

Don't forget if you want good crackling that its essential that the rind/skin is bone dry, well salted and well scored, otherwise you'll end up with crackling like leather that will break your teeth trying to chew:eek: I usually spend a good 5 minutes at least drying off the skin with a tea towel to get it dry enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

mmmmmm delich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try any recipe that calls for the meat to be cooked twice - one here from Ramsay

The one I linked to above calls for it to be cooked 5 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The one I linked to above calls for it to be cooked 5 times!

recipe's a bit vague, though:confused:

recipe's a bit vague, though:confused:

I thought it was pretty easy! Marinate in ingredients below, steam probably 45mins or so.
    Cool the meat, fry and cool then simmer with remaining marinade and added ingredients.
    Next day ad the lot to a slow cooker and cook for a while, It is already cooked so won't need more than 2-3hrs on high.

Pretty hard to mess it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

CJhaughey wrote: »
    ?

Re your sig --- we have,we have - for better or worse, for richer or poorer
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dh0661 wrote: »
    Re your sig --- we have,we have - for better or worse, for richer or poorer
    :rolleyes:

I don't accept it, I think we should have another to make it best of three.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I've tried this recipe and it works very well
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/pork-belly-roast

The trick is in the long cooking to melt a lot of fat away giving you the tenderest meat and great crispy crackling. The resulting gravy is very good too.

Advertisement