Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to work after maternity?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

My friend asked me to post this to see if anyone has any advise.......I'll try and give a shortened version.

She had a baby 2 and a half years ago. She spent from week 25 of her pregnancy in hospital because she had placenta previa and baby was born 6 weeks early (in good health). So at this stage she had been on the sick for a while. Her maternity leave then started and all was grand. Her mum, who had cancer for about 10 years got really ill. She spent 4 months of her maternity leave nursing her sick mum who sadly passed away. This happened just before she was due back to work so with all the stress she went back on the sick. As it happens she got pregnant again. She didn't go back to work during this pregnancy because things weren't going great from the beginning. She ended up in and out of hospital a lot. Baby was born with a significant hole in her heart but all in all a good baby.

Before she finished work she was working 8 to 5 monday to friday. This wasn't in her contract but worked her way up and had been working that position for about 2 years. Went in to have a meeting with boss this week who was not impressed with all the time she had taken off even though she was medically certified for it all. They said they will still give her 39 hours a week but it would be flexible to include evenings and week ends. Can they do this? She doesn't know how she is going to manage with the kids trying to get a minder that will do flexi hours. She could have to work anywhere between 7 in the morning and 10 at night. Her husband is self employed and is not really even keeping his head above water. Her last mortgage payment went on her credit card. She said she needs to go back to work but I think financially they will end up worse off because of child care costs. Her take home pay will be about €330 a week for 39 hours then minus child care for 2 kids. She is at her wits end and I don't know what advice to give. They are really struggling....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Tell her to contact NERA to get advice, that is probably the quickest way to get a concrete answer.

Advertisement