Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking horses from Ireland to Scotland

Options
  • 29-09-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I will be moving house from Tipperary to Scotland and need to get my 2 ponies over. Its quite a long journey especially with a horse trailer ( probably about 8 hours this side, about 3 hours on the ferry and about 3 hours the other side. I do have a double trailer that we are taking with us but :

Is that too much of a long journey for the ponies in a small trailer ? They are not used to long journeys.

What if the ferry crossing is rough - is that a bit dodgy in a trailer ?

Has anyone any experience with taking horses over on the ferry themselves ? How did you get on ?

I don't know whether to just book them in on a proper big lorry with a horse transport company, or am I just worrying too much - will they be fine in the trailer ?

Also has anyone any idea how much it is to get a horse transport company to do it ? And any recommendations ?

I would really appreciate your comments if you have any

Thanks, Michelle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Personnally I would get an experienced transport company to take them over , as they would be able to arrange stopover, which in this case may be needed.
    I travelled with showjumpers when I was younger and even though the horses had loads of room for the trip, I think we would only travel them 6-8 hours max and have a stopover at one side of the crossing.
    Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Ballinroe Horse Transport in Templemore would surely give you advice.They have been on the go for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RestlessNative

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement