Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashton Pound - precautionary tale

• 29-09-2009 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi, I just want to pass on some experience in dealing with Ashton that will hopefully help others avoid the situation we've just encountered.

We have been looking to adopt a rescue to join us and our existing JRT X Lucy (who herself came to us as a stray) We were looking for a dog of similar age and temperament. We've been home assessed by Dogs In Distress (awaiting the result) but in the meantime we saw details of a dog on their website which was still in the pound. A male black and tan JRT X, 2 years old.

We visited last Saturday and met the dog, walked him, asked lots of questions and made our mind up to fill in an adoption form (note, this is a form for the pound, not for DiD who are not involved until/if they take dogs from the pound into fostering)

There was no reference number or identifying information on the dog, or its cage, so we talked to the staff member we had already been talking to (she knew exactly what dog we had been talking to her about, and had bought him to us in the first place) She went off to get the right reference number and put it on the form. Job done. There was a family looking at the dog before us, so our expectations were realistic that we might not get him.

Monday I get a call saying we are number 1 if we want the dog. Fantastic! The lady on the phone explained that the dog was due to stay in until Thursday. Also, could we prove that our existing female was spayed (which of course we can) as it was a male dog we were adopting (points to them for making this check.)

So, over the moon, we start plans. Buy a new bed, collar, lead etc. and cancel our plans to go to the UK for a good friends 40th birthday party this weekend

Last night I checked the DiD forum to find a post on the dog's thread saying to ring the pound as the dog should be due out Tuesday, not Thursday. This morning I ring them and find out that somehow we have been put down for a completely different dog (a terrier female, white and tan) The black and tan dog we wanted and thought we got is going off to the family today.

The explanation is that there was a simple transposition error in the reference numbers (the dog we want is 867 apparently, they claim the reference number on the form is 876) Sounds plausible and can be put down to human error on the part of the temporary staff member there on Saturday. There are a few things that don't totally add up in the whole story (like why we were asked to bring along evidence of our existing female being spayed if they thought they were giving us another female...) but that is by the bye.

So, the moral of the long story is, PLEASE make sure that if you are filling in one of their forms you personally verify every single detail on it. Don't trust their staff to do so (especially at weekends it would appear) as their procedures for keeping track of information appear to be less than perfect.

The distinct impression I got from speaking to them at length today is that this isn't an unusual situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Sounds aboout right for that bureuacratic shamhole of a place. Have you considered a complaint with the council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 aspender

Sounds aboout right for that bureuacratic shamhole of a place. Have you considered a complaint with the council?

Yes, and I made that clear to the lady I was dealing with this morning. Her response was pretty clear that she felt there was no point. Nevertheless I shall be putting something in writing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You must be very disapointed. I'm sorry you missed out on the dog you thought you were getting. Are you getting another instead?

Ashton is pretty well known for being, infuriating to deal with.
    Well done for going down the rescue route. I hope this experience doesn't put you off.

You must be very disapointed. I'm sorry you missed out on the dog you thought you were getting. Are you getting another instead?

We are not put off, but conversely we are not going to make any rash decision to take another dog straightaway either. The pound lady was actually almost pressuring us to take the one we had been mistakenly assigned (a dog we have not seen or know anything about) which I was not happy to agree to at all. For one thing we've researched and want a male, whilst the one they were assigning was female. From what we've read there is a better chance of our existing female JRT X and a male (neutered of course) getting along well than if it was two females.

It's our decision that will affect us and the dog for over ten years hopefully, so we will take our time and wait for the right one.

aspender wrote: »
    We are not put off, but conversely we are not going to make any rash decision to take another dog straightaway either.
    :) Thats a very wise decision I think. When you do get your dog, it will be the right one for you. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

aspender, I saw your posts on the DID site. Im sorry you have lost out on a lovely dog and well done for not blindly accepting another one as a substitute.
    Unfortunately your case seems to be one human error - understandable but annoying when it happens to you. Perhaps as you say a letter to the pound manager suggesting a more formal way of referencing the dogs would be useful.

In fairness to the pound they do seem to do their best for the dogs.

No doubt another beauty will appear shortly looking for a good home.

Inexile wrote: »
    In fairness to the pound they do seem to do their best for the dogs.
    The ladies in DID without doubt do their damndest for the dogs, I've never seen a harder working bunch of people. But I don't think the pound itself does a lot of the dogs at all. In fairness I'm referring to a few years ago, maybe it has improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Sorry to hear about that OP, that really is lousy. Hope you find a great dog soon.

So in Ashton you have to fill in adoption forms? The only dealings I have had with them is we were interested in taking a dog a few months ago that was on the DID website but the pound never answered their phone all week. Phoned again the Saturday morning, asked to see about the dog and was told he was still there. Drove out there and he was gone 5 days previously :rolleyes:

I got a rescue dog from Dunboyne pound a couple of years ago for my parents and the girl there was lovely. No forms or anything to fill out as far as I can remember, just the usual licence and fee. So if anyone is looking at rescuing a dog from a pound maybe try Dunboyne pound, it's not that far out, not sure if she's still there or not but she was very nice.

We're moving in to a new place with a garden in a few weeks so I'm finally getting a dog of my own but not sure what route to go down yet. Definitely a rescue and have seen some lovely dogs on DID in Ashton but not sure I want to bother going back there after our experience and a few others I've heard of including here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

aspender: The exact same thing happened a friend of mine during the Summer in the same pound! He was considering buying a dog but decided to go to the pound and have a look. He found a beautiful longhaired terrier type and decided to adopt him. he even sent me a photo of the dog on his phone :( There was also another man who was admiring the dog after he went back into see him for the second time before he left. The other man said he had just "lost his dog" (he had died not physically lost) and that he looked exactly like him.
    To make a long story short my friend went back to pick up the dog the following day and he was gone :eek::eek::eek:
    He had also bought some dogfood, a new lead etc!
    My friend was really upset and very angry. He is pretty sure that they gave the dog to the other man after hearing the sob story.They offered him another one but he felt under the circumstance he should not take it. I understand they have the animals best interests at heart but it does not take much to avoid unprofessional conduct like this, which does cause heartache for the potentional adopter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Dunboyne pound isn't too far out if anyone ever wants to try there, they're more helpful anyway for a start. You can see some of their dogs on

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

If you cant make it directly to Dunboyne pound a rescue called A Dogs Life takes dogs from that pound. Lovely people to deal with. Got my girl outta Dunboyne. Started out as a foster but she wasnt goin anywhere!!!:D
    Tends to get overlooked as its not in Dublin. Some really gorgeous dogs there too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

Ashtown Pound is run on a complete shoestring. I think that they do a great job. It isn't their fault aspender if you can't fill in a form. As for a complaint to the council. I roll my eyes.

You are aware that they probably had to put the dog you didn't want down aren't you.

Some animal lover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

MrMicra wrote: »
    Ashtown Pound is run on a complete shoestring.

Open to correction, it is run under tender as a business. Therefore the current contractors are out to make a profit. So costs will be cut to maximise profits.

As for "Some animal lover"
    The op was willing to rescue a dog that doesn't mean they have to take any dog. A dog is a 12-15 year commitment you want the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

MrMicra wrote: »

Ashtown Pound is run on a complete shoestring. Ashton pound is run privately if i am not mistaken on a tender basis

I think that they do a great job. I don't know Ashton pound but this is possibly only the first time i have heard this statement about them.

It isn't their fault aspender if you can't fill in a form. Does the OP not say that the girl from the pound went off and got the number and wrote it down??
    Surely to God in this day and age a simple check of sex, breed, colour etc would be a basic requirement for any pound.

As for a complaint to the council. I roll my eyes.

You are aware that they probably had to put the dog you didn't want down aren't you.

Some animal lover. Well I dont actually know any person who would take on a different dog, different sex because the one they thought would fit into their family is not available.That to me would be irresponsible as if it did not work out what happens then?

OP sorry this has happened to you, it must have been very disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Ashton Pound & Warden Service receive €350,000 pa from Dublin City. They also receive money from Dun Laoghaire - Rathdown & Fingal. So the total is estimated at just under one million - hardly a shoestring !.

Having said that, thanks to the amazing work done by DID, they have a very good record. In 2008 they had the 5th lowest PTS rate out of 32 Pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 janvrin

I heard DID get 2 different grants every year for 5,000 from department of agriculture. How can this be if they do not have a charity number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I believe that a charity number is meaningless in Ireland. You can have charity tax status without a charity number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

aspender I see you are in Maynooth. Do you know that the pound for South Dublin County Council is in Dunboyne on the Summerhill road, only about 5 miles from Maynooth?? The girls there are very helpful and keep meticulous records. They have lots of dogs to choose from at the mo. Call them on 01 8026676.

Just come back to this thread - didn't see any of the replies since my last post until now.

We went on to take a gorgeous Terrier X from a rescue in Wicklow. Jack has been with us for a couple of months now and has settled in really well. Our other dog Lucy and him get on like a house on fire.

Thanks to those who put MrMicra in his place. I'm not going to add any more comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

janvrin wrote: »
    I heard DID get 2 different grants every year for 5,000 from department of agriculture. How can this be if they do not have a charity number?

Absolutely not true....where did you here this? We get a grant for €3,000 now stopped this year. Believe me in this climate, that sum gets you nothing!!! Does not even cover a months vets bills for sick dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

Why is it stopped Suzi ?? Are the grants through ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dublindogcare

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your ordeal ......but im afraid its not the first person ive heard it happen to unfortunitley.

Hope it all works out in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

I'm curious about something I learned about Ashton this week - that they don't allow the adoption of restricted breeds right out of the pound.

As far as I'm aware, this isn't true of all pounds? (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here!)

Since restricted breeds, and in particular staffy's seem to go into the pound very regularly, and DiD sadly don't get to save them all, why is it that they won't allow people to adopt them from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm curious about something I learned about Ashton this week - that they don't allow the adoption of restricted breeds right out of the pound.

As far as I'm aware, this isn't true of all pounds? (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here!)

Since restricted breeds, and in particular staffy's seem to go into the pound very regularly, and DiD sadly don't get to save them all, why is it that they won't allow people to adopt them from there?

I'd suggest you do a search here for that information, its been covered (links provided in this forum too) on RTE's Joe Duffy show re. Ashtown and in particular the pound manager's policy on restricted breeds.

Ask Donal The Manager, if you are not happy ask Fingal CC or Joe Duffy RTE.
    You are right, very few, if any, other, pounds have this rule

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

Didn't realise it was a "hot topic" :D

I'll have a poke around and see what else I can find, thanks for the pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Ask Donal The Manager, if you are not happy ask Fingal CC or Joe Duffy RTE.
    You are right, very few, if any, other, pounds have this rule

There are other pounds though that won't let any dogs on the restricted breed list out at all, via rescue or direct adoption. Sorry, I know for definite of one other pound in the country that has this policy, so I assume there will be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

I know that this is off the original topic, BUT Dogs in Distress has facilitated many restricted breeds getting out of Ashton. Where they can thay go into foster and are rehomed through DID directly. If no foster spaces are available and if funds allow, they go into kennels until they can be rehomed., In the last few weeks 8 staffies have gone into kennels, with funds raisedy DID volunteers and donations and they will be rehomed from there by another rescuse as soon as is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

hpsheba wrote: »
    I know that this is off the original topic, BUT Dogs in Distress has facilitated many restricted breeds getting out of Ashton. Where they can thay go into foster and are rehomed through DID directly. If no foster spaces are available and if funds allow, they go into kennels until they can be rehomed., In the last few weeks 8 staffies have gone into kennels, with funds raisedy DID volunteers and donations and they will be rehomed from there by another rescuse as soon as is possible.

+1

I can vouch for that.

When I got 'Richo from Ashtown I'd to do it under the nose of Donal, I felt we were sneaking a prisoner out of jail.

I can't go into detail, but a few people here know them already. But Richo was to be PTS the afternoon I rescued him, that was almost 2 1/2 yrs ago and a happier dog you won't find.

But kudos to the guys working with DiD they bend over backwards for the restricted breeds, well done.

Advertisement