Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashton Pound - precautionary tale

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

yep we rescued our dog from Ashton through DiD and she's a restricted breed. The guys from DiD helped a lot - we didn't have any dealings with the pound owners thankfully. If only the money from the local authorities/state went to charities like DiD who would do anything for the dogs rather than the pound who are out to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

Ah brilliant, thats great to hear. Just to clarify before this get hi jacked, Dogs in Distress is not a charity ( yet ) but a non profit volunteer run rescue that takes dogs from Ashton Pound, but also helps out with other pounds, rescues and rehoming dogs from homes when they can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

I certainly wasn't belittling the work of DiD! :D I am fully aware of the work they do for the dogs in Ashton and other pounds. I was just feeling sorry for the restricted breeds in the pound that there wasn't foster room for.

I noticed yesterday that a number of long term residents are now out and safe, so I presume they've gone to another rescue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It should be noted that by law the Pound manager has sole authority to do as he pleases. There is no definition that I have ever seen regarding how different breeds should be handled by a Pound. So it is up to each manager. The law is very wooly when it comes to private Pounds as they are excluded from certain legislation that effects Local Authority Pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

I certainly wasn't belittling the work of DiD! :D I am fully aware of the work they do for the dogs in Ashton and other pounds. I was just feeling sorry for the restricted breeds in the pound that there wasn't foster room for.

Sorry if it came wrong, I did not mean to imply that you were. I am not sure about the policies of other pounds just Ashton, If you are interested in one of the restricted breeds get in touch with any of the DID team and they will help if they can. :):)

I noticed yesterday that a number of long term residents are now out and safe, so I presume they've gone to another rescue. :)

Boxers went to Boxer Rescue, some Staffies and a few assorted others are gone to Leitrim Animal Welfare to be boarded until they can be transported to Sweden in the New Year and a few others are now out in foster care. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

This was thanks to Dogs in Distress who covered costs and organised transport etc. I am from Dogs in Distress but was sadly not involved in this part of organising. So thanks to the lovely ladies who were and to the rescues who took in these lovely dogs to give them a new life. A huge amount of work, time, sleepless nights went into organising it so well done all involved. :D

Advertisement