Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid boys not knowing the danger

Options
  • 29-09-2009 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

do these young boys not know the dangers... i was awoken last night by the cows in the field going mad looked out and there were 4 young boys in the field trying to tip the cows over.. now i have to ask why? at 3 am in the morning what are they doing out and where does the parent think they are? they could have got themselfs into alot of trouble there was a bull in the same field.

i am so mad at them could not get back to sleep after the garda from letterkenny arrived (this happen in lifford)

if they had to of gotten the gate open god only knows what would have happened.

stupid stupid boys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

do these young boys not know the dangers... i was awoken last night by the cows in the field going mad looked out and there were 4 young boys in the field trying to tip the cows over.. now i have to ask why? at 3 am in the morning what are they doing out and where does the parent think they are? they could have got themselfs into alot of trouble there was a bull in the same field.

i am so mad at them could not get back to sleep after the garda from letterkenny arrived (this happen in lifford)

if they had to of gotten the gate open god only knows what would have happened.

stupid stupid boys

:eek: Far too much time and nothing else to do :mad: I know I'm showing my age here, but if young 'uns today had to do the kind of chores that we did when we were their age, they'd sleep in their beds at night from sheer exhaustion. While we were no strangers to mischief, this kind of dangerous, destructive behaviour would never have been tolerated.
    And what makes me think that we're in for more of the same type of hooliganism (what a great word!) now that the money for other entertainments is drying up with the recession? Bring back 'the clip round the ear' and the sally rod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

'Tis a disgrace. Kind of funny also.

Imagine toppling a cow over!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ah cow tipping... how i miss my drunken attempts after the FUBAR. never could get close enough though they always ran away.

Never thought of bulls in the field though ...

Is it not physically impossible to knock them over though?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bmtannam

Crotchety wrote: »
    'Tis a disgrace. Kind of funny also.

Imagine toppling a cow over!

Only a complete gobshyte would find that funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i thought cow tipping was a traditional country pastime for young lads in the country (doesnt make it right or safe though)

apparently impossible for oone person to push a cow over so they were wasting their time

apprently the physics have been studied

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article586737.ece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

When i was a kid the hight of excitement was going into a field and getting chased by a cow.

Never tired cow tipping, but i'm guessing that was because we never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ah, in fairness, cow-tipping is hardly the height of anti-social behaviour! They should've been in bed, but there are far worse things they could've been at.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about young fellas joyriding or something:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

deemark wrote: »
    Ah, in fairness, cow-tipping is hardly the height of anti-social behaviour! They should've been in bed, but there are far worse things they could've been at.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about young fellas joyriding or something:rolleyes:

Like raping a pensioner, etc... :rolleyes:

Me too, but then again this is Donegal, so it was a logical though.

I wonder how the cows felt as they were 'going mad' in the field. Scaring animals for the craic may not be the worst thing they could have done but cruelty to animals is never something to be complacent about. They were also putting themselves in danger and, as the OP said if the cows had escaped from the field it could have been a lot worse - they could have caused a serious accident on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dublin2Donegal

to be honest no its not the worst that they could have done done but look at it from a different way.

if they had to of gotten hurt in anyway in the field it would be the farmers fault, if the cows had to of gotten out and done property damage it would be the farmers fault, if a car or lorry had to of hit a cow it would be the farmers fault, these cows are the bread and butter of the farmers and to have stupid boys doing this is not right even if it is in DONEGAL

I wonder how the cows felt as they were 'going mad' in the field. Scaring animals for the craic may not be the worst thing they could have done but cruelty to animals is never something to be complacent about.

Ah jaysus, cruelty to animals?! Putting them in a shed is cruel, squeezing bullocks is cruel, de-horning is cruel, putting them in a crush is cruel, farmers are flat out being cruel. But, being shoved by high-pitched midgets in the middle of the night? ah come on:rolleyes:

to be honest no its not the worst that they could have done done but look at it from a different way.

if they had to of gotten hurt in anyway in the field it would be the farmers fault, if the cows had to of gotten out and done property damage it would be the farmers fault, if a car or lorry had to of hit a cow it would be the farmers fault, these cows are the bread and butter of the farmers and to have stupid boys doing this is not right even if it is in DONEGAL

Fair enough, if the farmer ended up in sh*te over the head of it, it's stupid. But there's no way the young lads thought of that and in fairness it's a common enough daft prank.

I'd still prefer to hear a cow-tipping story on a monday morn than some of the stories I do overhear. There's a certain innocence to it.

Fair enough, if the farmer ended up in sh*te over the head of it, it's stupid. But there's no way the young lads thought of that and in fairness it's a common enough daft prank.

I'd still prefer to hear a cow-tipping story on a monday morn than some of the stories I do overhear. There's a certain innocence to it.

there is no innocence to it only darn right stupidity, would you like to hear that one of those young boys were in hospital after a stupid prank like that on a monday morning or some innocent driver was killed on there way home,

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

I am the big animal lover/rights person but here are my thoughts:

A. Good luck to any 'little stealthy' beings from Lifford if they'd managed it....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping

B. Even better luck if they had of 'taken' a big boot in the arse or face as a result...sympathy = 0 points

And finally C...Let's hope in future, there is a big angry bullock in the field!

If they want to be that bloody stupid, then let them and I've no sympathy whatsoever...

The only two things I'd be worried about here would be if some of the cows were in calf, or if they had managed to let cattle out on to a busy
    road.

Hopefully either B or C would've 'kicked' in before then..

Everybody's saying "if the animals get out", but did these fella's leave the gate open?
    I grew up surrounded by farm land, the only time i heard for a gate being left open was by tourist staying in a local B&B who decided to walk down to the swilly to take pictures:rolleyes:. But i have seen plenty of times were farmers failed to maintain fences and resulted in animals (normally sheep) getting onto the road.

the field accross the road had the calfs in it and they were over with them as well, so that got the gows on the other side of the road really going, :mad:

as for the gate yes they god the gate open but were lucky that at that time the farmer was out so therefore were unable to get the cows out.

this was not ment to turn into an arguement only saying it as i see it

Senna wrote: »
    Everybody's saying "if the animals get out", but did these fella's leave the gate open?

Oh well, maybe they were the thoughtful type of hooligan who carefully considered the possible consequences/dangers of their actions and then opted to close the gate - that would be just after they decided it was a responsible action to knock the cows over for the craic at 3 am.
    Somehow, it doesn't seem very likely to me and if the gates were closed it was a) serendipity or b) it kept the cows captive for their antics. As the OP said, I don't want to see an argument but I think it beggars belief that there could be any kind of defence for this behaviour, as if it was all just a bit of harmless fun :confused:

I asked the question did they leave the gate open, as that seem to be the whole point of the thread. how is that defending them? It was asked and answer by the OP.

Then it was mentioned that the farmers are responsible if the livestock got out, and i merely pointed out that (in my area) when animals get onto a road its normally because they have escaped through a poorly maintained fence, rather than an open gate. My personal experience, maybe others dont agree.

Of course these fellas were stupid (more than likely drunk), and seen it was 3am they were probably old enough to know better. If it were kids in a field during daylight, i wouldn't be "outraged", i spend most of my childhood running through fields and probably annoying plenty of cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Ah jaysus, cruelty to animals?! Putting them in a shed is cruel, squeezing bullocks is cruel, de-horning is cruel, putting them in a crush is cruel, farmers are flat out being cruel. But, being shoved by high-pitched midgets in the middle of the night? ah come on:rolleyes:
    you dont squeeze bullocks! bullocks are bulls that have already been squeezed

• Advertisement

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    you dont squeeze bullocks! bullocks are bulls that have already been squeezed

damn it! a few years away from the farm and I make a schoolboy error like that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

This thread is a load of bullocks.

How can anyone with more than 2 brain cells think that you can push a cow over. They weigh about 6-800kg FFS.

I'd be more worried about these people being out in the rest of society, TBH.

"Hello? Yes, is that the men in white coats ? Yes, we've a few 'guests' for you."

As for not being any 'real harm' what about the fact that
    A) they could've escaped onto a road and be killed and possibly kill a motorist
    B) be pregnant and get spooked and run and cause injure themselves and their calf
    C) charge the numbnuts (least of my worries)

Common sense ain't that common....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

Poor old cows, but I would have wet myself If I had seen that.Hardly hooligans now, better than robbing cars. we all did stupid things when we were younger, unless you were as good as gold:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

lol, thought it was another joyriding tread for a moment, i know its not mature and stupid, gotta see the funny side as well, have heard of cow tipping, and always thought of it as a joke, never actully heard of someone trying to do it, they must have been absolute loons

what i find more alarming is the garda having to come from letterkenny, i know theres cut backs, but surly there is some based in what is the civic capital of the county and a boarder town

Advertisement