Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't feel safe in Dublin anymore - not even in my own apartment

Options
  • 29-09-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on boards.ie! Momentous occasion.

What has prompted me to write is that I no longer feel safe in Dublin. I've been living in the GDA for the past 9 years and in the city centre for 2 and a half. I was on Thomas St for a year - everyone told me I was crazy to live there and I never ever walked home alone at night but I loved it and never had any trouble. There was a lovely sense of community and Meath St market etc. For the past year and a half I've been on Pearse St and have seen it getting worse and worse since I moved here. The local kids basically have the run of the streets around and nothing deters them. They age from about 5 (!!!) to early teens. I'm quite frightened of them and they do everything in their power to make our lives as uncomfortable as possible, standing outside late in the evening making lots of noise etc, and last weekend they started a new game - throwing stones at our apartment. I've written to a local councillor and called the Gardai on several occasions (God help them I wouldn't want their job) but it only seems to get worse. I don't even feel safe in daylight anymore as a number of times I've been verbally abused and had things thrown at me (anything from Polo mints - just degrading - to water balloons). Does anyone agree that social breakdown has reached crisis point? I really fear for the future. I feel so sorry for these kids as I know many of them don't have very happy family lives, but I have worked hard ever since I was a teenager and everything I have I earned through hard work. I think I deserve peace in my own home. What can I do (except move)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

What can I do (except move)?

Nothing, if you researched the area and chose to buy or rent there and it doesn't suit you there is nothing much you can do if you won't move. Personally, I would be out of there in a flash if I didn't like it. I wouldn't consider what you describe as social break down, polo mints and water balloons are little sheets being little sheets. I would be wary of gangs of young fella's, especially if they have girls with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You are better off moving, if that is an option open to you. You need a bit of luck with neighbours, bad ones will spoil any area or dwelling. I wouldn't have thought the area you mention would be so bad, but all it takes are a few. Being realistic, these kids do not have the family influences that will make them change their ways, and the Gardai can't do much.

Have you bought a place there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 devotchka83

lightening wrote: »
    Nothing, if you researched the area and chose to buy or rent there and it doesn't suit you there is nothing much you can do if you won't move. Personally, I would be out of there in a flash if I didn't like it. I wouldn't consider what you describe as social break down, polo mints and water balloons are little sheets being little sheets. I would be wary of gangs of young fella's, especially if they have girls with them.

I take your point but there are a few reasons why I can't move at the moment. Also, I really believe part of the problem is that these areas were abandoned for so long and only recently lots of swanky apartments were built close to Corporation buildings, obviously lots of resentment etc brewing. I just wanted to open a chat/debate about the issue as I think there's too much complacency. Honestly, a five year old challenging a grown woman on the street is as much signal of social breakdown as I need. They are mixed gangs, boys and girls and you're right in that the girls are as bad if not worse.

Honestly, a five year old challenging a grown woman on the street is as much signal of social breakdown as I need. They are mixed gangs, boys and girls and you're right in that the girls are as bad if not worse.

Of course, fair enough, you are right, they shouldn't be challenging you. I would suggest you learn their names and greet them using their names, second name too if you can. Have a laugh, if they ask you something, answer them with a smile or a question straight back at them. Keep it good natured and they might be less willing to harm you if then know you.

The reason I say avoid gangs when the girls are there is the boys will do anything, anything to impress the girls and will react if they are made to look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Personally I would not live in that place it is very rough but i agree most of dublin is filled with these tracksuit heads who only want to make decent peoples live hell!! Move maybe a bit outside the city! I cant stand people Like them kids and teanagers , Harrassing people for no reason I have often lost the head at them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,309 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

lightening wrote: »
    I would suggest you learn their names and greet them using their names, second name too if you can. Have a laugh, if they ask you something, answer them with a smile or a question straight back at them. Keep it good natured and they might be less willing to harm you if then know you.quote]

Are you serious???

Has this worked for you?

Ah,get to know them,they'll pick on some other sucker!!

Birneybau wrote: »

Has this worked for you?

Ah,get to know them,they'll pick on some other sucker!!

Yeah, worked for me, I lived in a rough part of the inner city for years. Never really got any hassle after the kids knew me and I knew them. Harder to harras someone who greets and knows you and is pretty pleasant to you.

Have you any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,309 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I still think its specious reasoning,once you know the kids they wont pick on you.From what I took from the OP's post,they seem pretty intimidated by the anti-social behaviour of gangs of kids in their area.

Im sure the OP would find it very hard going from feeling very intimidated to treating it as water off a duck's back,getting to know them..

Maybe the OP should buy them sweets or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

I dont think the answer is Brown nosing the little Scum bags!!!

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    I dont think the answer is Brown nosing the little Scum bags!!!

Big difference between knowing the people you choose to live near and brown nosing little scum kids. It's how you play it, you can ignore them, berate them, give them dirty looks, you're choice. Oliver I don't know if you have ever been in a situation where you are stuck in a place where you are afraid and you don't want to be with no help from the Gardai. The more you know about the kids, names, their folks etc.. the better, that's from experience.

Have you not seen Marathon Man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

keep your friends close ...and your enemies CLOSER !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I used to live on Tara st and would go to the roof and chuck water balloons as the people queuing for Fireworks. But I did it for fun, and not cos I was a five year old.. I miss roof gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

OP, is that happening around the chipper(Lido)/Pearse Tavern/Centra/Spar/Holiday Inn part of Pearse st?

If so, that area has always been like that for years. Best way is indeed to get to know them.
    lightening wrote:
    The reason I say avoid gangs when the girls are there is the boys will do anything, anything to impress the girls and will react if they are made to look bad.

I'd second this. Last week, there was a group of about 30 noisy kids(boys & girls) walking up Ringsend Rd towards town. They were ripping down election posters, messing at the gates to Charlotte Quay using bollards, blocking traffic and over the bridge they went to cause more chaos. It appeared the boys did it more to impress the girls as they were egging them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Its not just in Dublin either, this is being replicated in every city and town across the country. I myself have experienced these gangs of feral kids when minding my own business, the solution I picked was just to call the guards and keep calling them. Worked like a charm. I find it very interesting that its the exact same age group as I experienced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

sorry to hear your situation OP, it sounds like it's difficult for you to move...

you don't necessarily have to try and get on good terms with the kids, if you see their mothers, try and start some friendly chit-chat & find out the names of their kids. Then over a couple of weeks let them know that you're afraid of the kids hanging around, but don't point a finger at their kids. If they've a shred of decency, they'll call their kids over if they see them hanging around your appt.
    Failing that, you can start saying hello to the kids by name & that might freak them out.

I would always try & avoid confrontation in this scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Humiliate their "leader"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

My advice would be to try and befriend them. I used to have to walk through a corporation estate on my way to the bus and I had the same problem of having abuse, stone throwing and even being pushed around and challanged to fights. It all changed when I just got over the fear. They love to see you freightened. I ended up going up to the groups and asking for a "smoke" or a light. Then they started asking me for smokes and lights and in the process we got a bit of banter going. Eventually some of them started saying leave him alone lads he's alright.

Of course if you don't smoke I'm not sure what you could use to initiate it. Maybe ask the time or even ask for a cigarette and just put it behind your ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I grow up in the city and I was one of these kids you talking about. Lets say I am a working 16 years now so not one any more. They are just looking for something to do. if you get to know them that’s great. I lived in Mountjoy Square for 8 years and kids hitting windows with a stone was very often. Then I got the idea to take photos of them when they where doing it. One of them asked me why I was taking photos. I said I was going to show his mother the next day or maybe the Garda's. They stopped after that but just because they are messing about outside. You shouldn't be afraid in your own home.

Get a better lock or maybe some self defense classes. Its about your confidence and not showing fear. I am not a woman so it must be worse for women. knowing who's who and the people who live around you should help too. Talk to others in your block about issue as its nice to know you can knock on someone’s door if you need them.

I love living in the city but you just have to know your area. Have a good one and hope things improve for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

They probably pick on other people too, OP, I doubt if it is anything personal. But Pearse st has always had a rep, as well as other inner city neighbourhoods, which is a shame.
    Are your other neighbours getting the same hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I take your point but there are a few reasons why I can't move at the moment. Also, I really believe part of the problem is that these areas were abandoned for so long and only recently lots of swanky apartments were built close to Corporation buildings, obviously lots of resentment etc brewing. I just wanted to open a chat/debate about the issue as I think there's too much complacency. Honestly, a five year old challenging a grown woman on the street is as much signal of social breakdown as I need. They are mixed gangs, boys and girls and you're right in that the girls are as bad if not worse.

Is there a neighbourhood watch in your building?
    Such a pity, I used to have that in a previous house in the north inner city and I moved after some ****ers broke in.
    Doesn't matter how cheap the rent is, if you can't relax in your own house. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement