Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallen Earth

Options
  • 29-09-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

Has anyone given this a try either by purchasing or in a beta?

I'm not normally into mmo type games especially when there's a subscription involved but I thought this looked interesting. It doesn't seem to have got much coverage in Europe althought I'm fairly sure it is available here. At least through digital distribution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Should be downloaded when I get home from work. Jut cancelled my wow sub and my mate thought Aion and CO weren't that great so I decided to take a complete chance on this. Hope it's worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Should be downloaded when I get home from work. Jut cancelled my wow sub and my mate thought Aion and CO weren't that great so I decided to take a complete chance on this. Hope it's worth it :)

I look forward to reading your report. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was in the Beta and quickly gave up because of a bug which stopped me from being able to leave the tutorial area. After two weeks waiting for the GM's to get back to me about the problem, I gave up. The whole idea seemed cool, but I really couldn't be arsed going back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I was in the beta for a while but wasnt impressed at all.

Pros
    The setting for the game is really great and a nice change from the usual Fantasy deal which tends to be the norm for MMOs. I really wanted to like this game as I love the Fallout/end of the world type setting.

Cons
    The graphics are awful, I mean really ****ing awful. They look slightly better than EQ1s graphics imho but compaired to the likes of AoC,EQ2,WoW or Lotro they are a joke. Also you need a beast of a PC to run the game with all options turned up :eek:

Leveling up in FE takes soooooooooooo damm long. After playing for a couple of days I was still only level 6 so expect the old grind style gmeplay of the EQ1 days.

Crafting takes ages to make anything (making a low level item takes 5-10 minutes real time) and even longer to level up. Usual MMO fair of having to run around all over the place looking for crafting materials. You can start multiple items and log out tho and they will be finished when you log in but personaly I think its a lame system but to be fair even the early crafted items seemed useful.

Bugs, bugs and more bugs. While the Dev team seem damm fast in fixing these problems there is loads of server downtime.

Missions are dull and just the usual kill X amount of Y or fetch X amount of Z. While all MMOs use this sort of system the quests in FE just dont seem fun in any way.

The control system is a total mind fcuk. I found them really arkward to use and just simple things like entering combat seems very un-userfriendly. I dont think Iv ever played a game with such awful controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I was in beta aswell, Good idea bad execution.
    Its a real amateur affair from the get go. Bland desert as far as the eye can see and ow so meny shrub's. Id just avoid it unless you like to think your playing a sand box game that isnt really a sand box game despite what some people will try to tell you. The way you chose a faction i found to be a total disconnect from the game you pop into some room click on some ****ty console pick a location and pritty much just get dropped there via clone pod. Sounds cool but it really isnt.

Why they have asian themed building's in the grand canyon il never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Looks like the opinions are all similar then. Oh well it seemed like and interesting idea.

Yeah, only played it briefly but it's clunky and not particularly impressive. Will keep at it however seeing as I have a month to go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I've been playing Fallen Earth quite heavily, when I can. But serious workload at work and Aion have prevented me from doing so.

Needless to say, I've stilled clocked some 20+ hours and am level 8 atm.
    There are just so many things wrong with peoples "reviews" here that I felt that I needed to say... even though I cant properly review this game right now (but I will asap) it really is a great game if the game mechanics and style are something that you'd be interested. If not, then you wont be able to get past it's flaws and the game just isnt for you.

Personally, I love it. It's like a RPG/FPS with alot of similarities with EVE. I'll come back some time this evening to write something more substantial.

I'm trying so hard to like this game but it's completely devoid of atmosphere which I think is the worst problem. I just feel everything in game is a chore and I'm just thinking about other games I could be playing. When I started playing both Eve and WoW I remember vividly how great they were and at the end of the first play session it was stupid o clock a night and I still didn't want to go to bed. With FE it got turned off after 10 minutes in disgust and took me a day to try again.

The control system is frustrating, very frustrating.

The game seems needlessly complicated in parts. Trying to find and make bullets for my zip gun resulted in me wandering about and finding a ballistics and weapons trainer in two seperate places (along I think with Ballistic and weapon merchants). Mousing over the items for sale gives no indication of what they do. Eventually I learn that to make bullets I need to buy the zip gun schematic. Oh... Well that was obvious.... So it takes ten minutes 10 MINUTES to make 80 bullets which is an amount that gets wizzed through in less time than it takes to make it.

The game feels unpolished and like someone said above amateurish. I went into what I think might have been an instance (the mines) or something and killing NPCS in a couple of shots and the NPCs are practically respawning behind me as I go...

The missions seem all over the place and it gets annoying wandering along boring looking desert for 10 minutes to root in a box and then wander all the way back again.

Fiiinally, combat. It's a little crap against NPCs at this time, maybe it gets better but it feels a bit rubbish to have dual pistols but have to stand still and let someone hit me with a spade whilst I shoot back because it's fairly hard to hit stuff when they move and ammo at my stage is more valuable than the bare amount of money I have.

(deep breath).

Maybe I can say the game has potential but I'd maybe say wait a year before taking another look.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ivan wrote: »
    Personally, I love it. It's like a RPG/FPS with alot of similarities with EVE. I'll come back some time this evening to write something more substantial.
    RPG/FPS with similarities to Eve? Sounds good to me. Its evening time already. Write something!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

humanji wrote: »
    I was in the Beta and quickly gave up because of a bug which stopped me from being able to leave the tutorial area. After two weeks waiting for the GM's to get back to me about the problem, I gave up. The whole idea seemed cool, but I really couldn't be arsed going back to it.

same thing happened to me.

the combat is shyte in it anyway

Advertisement