Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Mobile Vs Symbian

• 29-09-2009 12:42pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have been looking around at different phones to see if there is anything that would interest me if I upgraded my Nokia E71.

Its probably the best phone I’ve ever had. Its great for texting, internet, gps etc etc.

Upon till now I probably would have considered the N97 as the next step. I like the form factor.

Then I came across the Sony Ericsson xperia. Very similar form factor. Touch screen

The main differences are camera, storage and OS. Camera and storage aren’t a big selling point for me.

So it would come down to OS.

I like Symbian. I think it works very well. I have opera for web browsing. I have Nokia maps/Google maps for gps. I have facebook applications. I have my office sweet for documents etc etc.

All of this comes on windows OS except Nokia maps but there is other stuff for that).

I’ve read there are bugs with windows but if you set it up right this can be eliminated. I’ve had problems with Symbian. It crashes a lot for me (at least once a week) so I think no matter what OS you have there are still gona be problems.

I’m assuming that either model has the basics covered in terms of texting/phone calls etc so a big factor would also be how it handles stuff like web browsing etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Are you referring to the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1i or X2i?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Are you referring to the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1i or X2i?

The X1

I have the XPERIA X1i and have used a lot of E & N series handsets, however, not the N97.

With the X1i, unless you install an application that covers the standard Windows Mobile screens, such as SPB mobile shell, you'll need to use the stylus more often than you'd like, or the corner of your nail, as the screen is slightly recessed and does not sit flush with the front of the handset. This means that attempting to close windows, applications, etc requires you to hit the X in the corner, which can be a bit of a pain in the...!

Moving on to using applications.

Google maps works great, as the X1i's screen, 3", and resolution, 800 x 480, means you can see a lot more than on comparable handsets. I don't use it for anything more than looking around, so I can't comment on whether it's any good for turn-by-turn navigation.

Web browsing using Internet Explorer Mobile is frustrating and annoying, but Opera Mini is ok, however, I've never been a huge fan of mobile web browsing, so you may find it better than I do; it's certainly a different experience than using a non-touchscreen S60 handset, as you can double-tap the screen to zoom, which is very handy, and scroll faster by swiping down/up with your finger.

Email using Outlook Mobile, a strong point for Windows Mobile, is very nicely laid out, so using multiple email accounts is very intuitive. I prefer this, again, to S60, as the size and resolution of the touchscreen not only makes it easier to browse and read emails, but the familiar layout and look of Outlook means I know what options do what.

Voice calls are clear and amply loud, so you can lower the earpiece volume, if required. Voice calls using a wired headset, however, are surprisingly low for the recipient and having tested different wired headsets and tweaking the registry settings, the call volume the recipient hears is only about 80% of what it should be; a note if you plan on using a wired headset, bluetooth headsets, however, might be better.

The panel interface is good, and even faster on newer firmware versions, but you'll soon get bored and generally stick to just the one panel for your everyday needs.

While the X1i comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, I use a custom 6.1 professional rom from XDA Developers, as it gets rid of all the bloat that comes with Windows Mobile and offers various memory tweaks that make the handset run that bit faster.

Overall, I prefer the X1i to any S60 handset I've used, as it offers more features and more customization. It is also my second favourite handset of all time, but there is definitely room for improvement.

If you have any questions about the X1i, Windows Mobile or anything else regarding OSes and handsets, feel free to ask.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How easy is it to use for email/internet?

The SPB mobile shell. Is it worth $30 and what exactly does it do?

Is yours a work phone? What do you use it for?

kearnsr wrote: »
    How easy is it to use for email/internet?

The SPB mobile shell. Is it worth $30 and what exactly does it do?

Is yours a work phone? What do you use it for?

As I mentioned above, email with Outlook Mobile is really use to use and Internet browsing with Opera Mini is good too.

I use SPB Mobile Shell 2.1.4 and find it much easier to use than the standard Windows Mobile menus. You can use it to open programs, browse contacts, go through settings, customize your today screen; there's really so much you can do. As such, I would definitely day it is worth $30.

I use the X1i as a second phone and use it generally for email access.

• Advertisement

What's your other phone?

kearnsr wrote: »
    What's your other phone?

I use a few different Sony Ericsson handsets; the K800i being one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Rsaeire wrote: »
    As I mentioned above, email with Outlook Mobile is really use to use and Internet browsing with Opera Mini is good too.

I use SPB Mobile Shell 2.1.4 and find it much easier to use than the standard Windows Mobile menus. You can use it to open programs, browse contacts, go through settings, customize your today screen; there's really so much you can do. As such, I would definitely day it is worth $30.

I use the X1i as a second phone and use it generally for email access.

FWIW, i'd second what rsaeire says about mobile shell.
    For me, it transforms the Windows Mobile experience- really cuts down on stylus use (except for inputting text but there are software keypads around that might help with that as well).

AFAIK, there should be a (30 day?) demo version of mobile shell (so you can try it out before you buy).

As for outlook mobile, i've always used that for my email and i've never had a problem.
    Handles attachments (pdfs etc) well, you can set up multiple accounts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah you definitely need SPB mobile Shell or SPB pocket PC Plus on the Xperia, there is a panel for SPB as well.
    I find the opera browser surfs most pages quiet fast as does opera mini, (your able to run java applications on the Xperia as well, except Sky remote record)
    The OS does take a little getting used to, like any OS but after a few days its second nature, i came from the SE G900 which had UIQ3 running on it

The Xperia is quiet a well built phone, its very solid and has taken a few knocks from me, I had a play around with the n97 in the carphone warehouse and it seems very flimsey.

The TomTom on windows mobile is excellent, gets a satellite in about 30 seconds in the car.
    There are tonnes of free applications out there for windows mobile as well, like just a little application to enable and disable your GPRS connection all available online.

Advertisement