Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic novels. Are they literature?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, there was a decent article in the Sunday Times about graphic novels on foot of Ian Rankin's first foray into the genre. He is releasing a well reviewed book called Dark Entries. The reviewer named a few other titles as well that could be worth a look Logicomix especially.
    Just wondering if anyone here is into the graphic/anime side of things? I personally have read the Sin City book, some Anime, Sancho and a few others too.http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article6846081.ece

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

thats a tough one. they are a form of literature and more and more novels are being presented in graphic novel format, though it is still more common for short stories.

George R.R martin has a short story set in the same world as his song of ice and fire presented in graphic novel format: The hedge knight. it was recently published in short story format in his anthology (RRestrospectives?).

To me , they are indeed literature. anyone reading the Sandman graphic novels can attest to the complexity and excellent writing. Thing is, for discussion I think you'd get a better response to graphic novels in general on the comic forum in the arts category.

Advertisement