Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New M3/N3 - tolls...?!

Options
  • 29-09-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,
    I travel a fair bit for work from Navan and most days will end up going through the westlink tollbridge...so am just wondering if I can still use the current route to Dublin when the new M3 and its toll bridge opens up and running....avoiding this M3 toll? It will mean new job time if I have to pay for 4 tolls per day to get to work....no way I could afford that.

Any info would be great, cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bjc_dublin

N3 will still be free....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭KAZ0077

Grand, will be sticking to the "old" or current route so. Good news for a change!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I think a lot of commuters are going to stick to the "old" N3 because of the extortionate tolls. I'll be using it anyway because only coming from Dunshaughlin, but I really don't think my commute will be shortened by a significant amount when the motorway opens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

How much is the toll going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

How much is the toll going to be?

I've heard it's around 2.75 for each toll. So if you lived in Kells, commuting to Dublin it would be €11 per day or approx €2800 per year.

What a bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've heard that Meath will then be the most heavily tolled county in Ireland.

Thank you oh government overlords for taking our money in such creative and sneaky ways.
    I see they are building a toll booth at the Trim Junction. I wonder if they will put booths on the on and off ramps the way they did on the M4?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blueovalmk2

Archeron wrote: »
    I've heard that Meath will then be the most heavily tolled county in Ireland.

Thank you oh government overlords for taking our money in such creative and sneaky ways.
    I see they are building a toll booth at the Trim Junction. I wonder if they will put booths on the on and off ramps the way they did on the M4?

yes they are putting tolls on the on off ramps,cant see tis road been used it will be like the M4 with 90% of the people taking the kilcock slip road an taking the old road home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I for one will completely boycot the new road as i refuse to pay a road toll, us irish are too soft, why do we pay car tax?? and travell to work to pay tax on almost half of our earnings and taxed on petrol? where does it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

As above, I will not use this new road. I use the M50 frequently as well, and the tolls as is are killing me.

Bah humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

chewed wrote: »
    I've heard it's around 2.75 for each toll. So if you lived in Kells, commuting to Dublin it would be €11 per day or approx €2800 per year.

What a bargain!

Maybe i'm mistaken but I heard it's going to be €1.30.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

There's total confusion around the toll charges. I read this recently:
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/navan/articles/2009/08/12/390295-furure-over-motorway-tolls-bailout-for-eurolink-/

I don't think we'll know until the road is open tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

PauloMN wrote: »
    There's total confusion around the toll charges. I read this recently:
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/navan/articles/2009/08/12/390295-furure-over-motorway-tolls-bailout-for-eurolink-/

I don't think we'll know until the road is open tbh.

The exact same stories as this did the rounds in Drogheda years ago when the M1 was opening about 2 tolls, north and south of the town. It turned out not to be the case, just that if you get on at Drogheda town you have to pay whether you go north or south, otherwise passing by you only pay once.

On the minimum payments, it's pretty standard for any company entering into a outsourced service agreement like that to have a 'minimum service level' agreement so that they can cover their own minimum running costs and make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Have a look here http://www.independent.ie/national-news/return-trip-from-kells-to-dublin-will-cost-83641120-1855555.html. I will be also using the N3, i've from Cavan but traval to Dublin about 6 or 7 times a month to Dublin as part off my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

cant see tis road been used it will be like the M4 with 90% of the people taking the kilcock slip road an taking the old road home!!

I'm not particularly doubting your figure but I travel the N4/M4 each day and i'd put it maybe 50/50 or some days 60/40 or 40/60 depending on the day. There may be statistics that contradict what I say but that's a guesstimate from experience of commuter times.

I'd guess when the new M3 opens - tolls and all, that old N3 will be a dream to drive by comparison to where it's at presently. That's why the N4 remains popular - while it is a little slower, you can now move along on it which you couldn't do as it previously was. So those that are up to paying the toll (M3 drivers) will be happy bunnies as will those N3 drivers who have ethical, moral, financial, or cranky objection in not paying the toll. Sounds like winners all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

bjc_dublin wrote: »
    N3 will still be free....

Yeah, but I bet the lovely people that plan the road network and speed limits in this country, will lower the limit on the N3 to 60kmh as they did on the old N2 Ashbourne Road, when the new bypass opens!
    ...us irish are too soft, why do we pay car tax?? and travell to work to pay tax on almost half of our earnings and taxed on petrol? where does it end?

I think the current government have proved it will never end.

When they can't slap a tax on it, sure feck it, they'll slap a "levy" on instead.

Outrageous. You wouldn't mind if we had decent alternatives to the roads, but public transport here is crap too, and especially for those of us living in this neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

i avoid the n3 at all costs unless i have to
    driving from dunshaughlin ,i cut over to ratoath and up the n2 in to dublin
    to hell with them tolls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Stealdo wrote: »
    On the minimum payments, it's pretty standard for any company entering into a outsourced service agreement like that to have a 'minimum service level' agreement so that they can cover their own minimum running costs and make a profit.

The Government say they do this to increase competition at the tendering stage. The fact of the matter is:

If (and this is a small if) people decide not to be ripped off and boycott the new motorway, the Government is in an agreement with the operators to cover any shortfall in traffic numbers.

For example, say the target if 10,000 vehicles per day. If only 8,000 use it the Government have to cough up whatever the cost is for the missing 2,000 users. I read this in the Meath Echo a couple of months ago and am open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Yes, there is an agreement that the Govt (i.e., you and me!) will pay the toll operators for any shortfall of agreed minimum income from the tolls.
    From what I can see, I would say that people using the toll, coming from Kells or Navan, will go through the first toll but will then go out of their way to avoid paying the second toll at Fairyhouse. This will put a lot of extra pressure on the Fairyhouse roundabout so that those coming from the N3 will have to yield to a lot of extra traffic coming from Trim, resulting in long delays for those coming from Dunshaughlin. Time will tell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I'm not particularly doubting your figure but I travel the N4/M4 each day and i'd put it maybe 50/50 or some days 60/40 or 40/60 depending on the day. There may be statistics that contradict what I say but that's a guesstimate from experience of commuter times.

I'd guess when the new M3 opens - tolls and all, that old N3 will be a dream to drive by comparison to where it's at presently. That's why the N4 remains popular - while it is a little slower, you can now move along on it which you couldn't do as it previously was. So those that are up to paying the toll (M3 drivers) will be happy bunnies as will those N3 drivers who have ethical, moral, financial, or cranky objection in not paying the toll. Sounds like winners all around.

Except the Old "N" routes will be reclassified as "R" roads with a 80km/h speed limit applied and with an almost permanent Garda presence shooting fish in a barrel for doing the breakneck speed of 80km/h+. My advice get a European driving licence to dodge the penalty points and a NI registered car to dodge the toll at the M50, no penalty points, no ripoff Irish car tax and no need to pay the tolls on the M50.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Except the Old "N" routes will be reclassified as "R" roads with a 80km/h speed limit applied and with an almost permanent Garda presence shooting fish in a barrel for doing the breakneck speed of 80km/h+. My advice get a European driving licence to dodge the penalty points and a NI registered car to dodge the toll at the M50, no penalty points, no ripoff Irish car tax and no need to pay the tolls on the M50.:D
    The roadsigns for Dunshaughlin located at the Fairyhouse roundabout already indicate the road as being an "R" road (R157, I think) and the "N3" signs that were previously dotted along the route have long sinse been removed. This ia all part of the preparations for the down-grading of the old N3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thankfully I'll be joining the M3 in Navan so I will only have to worry about one toll. If I don't want to use it, I can just use the N2. Having two tolls on the same strech of road is an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

netwhizkid wrote: »

is it definite that the N3 will be downgraded to a Regional route?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

malman wrote: »

All of the new inter-urban routes built beside existing roads are national routes, with the subsequent downgrading of the old road to "R" status. Nearly all of these R routes have a maximum speed limit of 80kmph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Micksheenb

malman wrote: »
    They already have the signs up as you leave dunsaughlin for navan, R1337 i think..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

All of the new inter-urban routes built beside existing roads are national routes, with the subsequent downgrading of the old road to "R" status. Nearly all of these R routes have a maximum speed limit of 80kmph.

Its to encourage and also rape people into using the new M3 and paying the stupid tolls, its win win for the govt cause who will want to sit at 80kph on the old N3 so they will heavily police it with thier banana guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Any idea when in 2010 this is to open anyone? and will they open it all at once or in stages?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Access wrote: »
    Any idea when in 2010 this is to open anyone? and will they open it all at once or in stages?

Impossible to find up-to-date information online at least. Last I heard it was "ahead of schedule" but I've no idea how far ahead they are.

The last "newsletter" on the official M3 website was July '09:
    http://www.eurolink-m3.ie/

July 2010 is the proposed opening date - I would imagine that is for the complete road. Whether they'll open it in stages or not is a good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Report on the news last night said parts of it may open early depending on the weather. July 2010 was also mentioned. Apparently it's now about 90% done.

Tolls quoted at €1.40 each - one at Pace and one somewhere around Kells?

Of course these are just the opening prices - no doubt they'll shoot up soon enough! The bigger question is why this road isn't using electronic tolling like the M50 from the start? Oh silly me.. I forgot for a minute that doing it this way will allow them to "ease congestion" a few years down the line by removing the toll booths - at great cost to us and brownie points for the government of course!

I personally couldn't see myself using it much at those prices and considering that most drivers on the current N3 can't manage to keep a decent speed, I'd imagine it'll be chaos when they're given a motorway to play on! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

I'm not going to use the new M3 either. Paying for tolls is such a waste of money. And it won't even be barrier free like the M50 :rolleyes:
    I'd prefer to leave for my journey 10-15 minutes earlier and not have to pay the tolls. As a previous poster said we are taxed enough already.
    And it is scandalous if they downgrade the N3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

€1.40 isn't that bad was expecting it to be higher

Advertisement