Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New M3/N3 - tolls...?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Tolls quoted at €1.40 each - one at Pace and one somewhere around Kells?

(

Where did you read that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I for one will completely boycot the new road as i refuse to pay a road toll, us irish are too soft, why do we pay car tax?? and travell to work to pay tax on almost half of our earnings and taxed on petrol? where does it end?

regardless you may well be paying for the M3, allow me to explain...

the 'genius' civil servants that put the PPP contracts together for the M3 agreed that the Builder/Operator would be entitled to tax payers cash if certain user numbers are not achieved.

This contract was signed at the height of the credit bubble, one has to wonder why an all gain and no pain contract was so readily agreed to...

so, basically if enough people dont use the new M3 then your tax euros will be handed over to the operator to compensate them for low user numbers....

Revolution now?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Barname wrote: »

Revolution now?

We'll wait until Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey has returned from his holidays in the sun, first....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=12550_14&SERVICE=CRITERIUMBROWSE&TEMPLATE=WWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_BROWSE.HTM&ROW=111&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_OVERVIEW.HTM

Advertising for tolll booth operators now. Not bad pay for sitting in a box all day. I imagine the boredom would get to you eventually. And the abuse probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

According to the Meath Chronicle, the motorway is set to open 4th June.

Looking forward to the M3 charity cycle event beforehand, on 16th May.
    I've cycled many times on various parts of the M3 during its construction over the last couple of years, so this will probably be the last opportunity to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mmprine

Just getting started on the boards. Traveling from US to County
    Louth/Meath area in August. What are the tolls for the M1?

mmprine wrote: »
    Just getting started on the boards. Traveling from US to County
    Louth/Meath area in August. What are the tolls for the M1?

€1.90 I think... for a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mmprine

Thank you for the toll information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

The M3 toll is going to be €1.90 - the price is now up on the Southern Toll Plaza - you can see it driving by, so more than was expected. I presume then that the toll between Kells and Navan will be the same - so for anyone driving from Kells to Dublin it would cost €7.60 daily - thats just crazy!!!:eek: I also see on the Odrnance Survey new Road Atlas that the N3 has been downgraded to a regional road from Pace as far as Kells anyway - its down as the R147 on the maps so thats going to be a 80kmph speed limit on the old road if you refuse to use/pay the tolls:mad::mad:

The M3 toll is going to be €1.90 - the price is now up on the Southern Toll Plaza - you can see it driving by, so more than was expected. I presume then that the toll between Kells and Navan will be the same - so for anyone driving from Kells to Dublin it would cost €7.60 daily - thats just crazy!!!:eek: I also see on the Odrnance Survey new Road Atlas that the N3 has been downgraded to a regional road from Pace as far as Kells anyway - its down as the R147 on the maps so thats going to be a 80kmph speed limit on the old road if you refuse to use/pay the tolls:mad::mad:

:mad: I WILL NOT be using it so. End of. I hope the Gubberment enjoy making up the shortfall to the Toll operators cos i haven't talked to a single person yet that doesn't think it's an absolute scandal.

You can drive Dublin to Limerick, 123 miles, toll free.
    Dublin to Virginia, 50 miles, 2 tolls.

The signs on the new roundabouts on the old N3 where they weren't painted out already showed the new regional road designation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

:mad: I WILL NOT be using it so. End of. I hope the Gubberment enjoy making up the shortfall to the Toll operators cos i haven't talked to a single person yet that doesn't think it's an absolute scandal.

You can drive Dublin to Limerick, 123 miles, toll free.
    Dublin to Virginia, 50 miles, 2 tolls.

I agree - two tolls on a relatively short stretch is bad form. For that stretch, there should only be one toll somewhere around Navan.

Imagine living just north of Kells and working in Park West for example. 6 tolls to pay every single day.

I think the new M3 might end up being a big white elephant tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I noticed this this morning. Nearly drove across the old N3 staring at it. Where did the €1.40 come from? I thought that was officially quoted in newspaers. That's just added €2 a day to someone living north of Kells. Like myself. I'm hoping to be in Blanch IT next September and a big reason for choosing it as a first preference was the M3 getting me there in about 30minutes. I doubt I'll be using it both ways now, if at all. Very bad form I think.

Considering all the bad press around this road and given the current situation with less people working, commuting and of course lees money in peoples pockets, you would imagine they would do everything possible to encourage drivers to use the motorway.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Meh..., it will probably turn out like the M4/N4 - lots will use and pay the toll, and those that won't will use the old road. Apart from the arguments of paying a toll or not paying a toll, it is what it is.

How and ever, if you view the net effect of the M4/N4 experience, then with the M3/N3 everyone should be loosely happy (I did say loosely ;)) - those that pay the toll get what they pay for - a premier roadway moving faster getting you to the blanchardstown tailback in next to gig time where you will sit twiddling your toodles at least until they finish the Blanchardstown/M50 works.

For those that use the old N3 and pay no toll, they will get the benefit of a much faster commute albeit that it will remain a busy road - the reason for this being the significant portion of the traffic will have moved into the premier paid option.

The above would be the experience on the M4/N4.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Meh..., it will probably turn out like the M4/N4

I doubt/hope it doesn't. Like I said above I haven't talked to anyone who said they'd use it. A few say they'll use it if they can avoid one of the tolls. Otherwise, no.

The M4 west of the toll services Westmeath, Longford, Roscommon, Leitrim,Mayo, Sligo.
    358,000 people - using the 2006 census

The M3 west of the 2nd toll services Cavan and Donegal. 211,000 people.
    (Excluding Fermanagh as I'd assume Belfast as the main destination from there)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Dont think your correct about the R147-thats the Headford/Oristown road. Seen the road number flashing on the diversion sign this morning when I was waiting for the bus to leave kells

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

The NRA yesterday announced that the M3 motorway between Clonee and Kells would open on June 4, a week after the new Dublin to Cork scheme is officially unveiled.

But there will be two tolls of €1.30 each, one at Dunshauglin and the second near Kells at Grange. The NRA expects 64,000 vehicles a day to use the 60km road, of which 13,000 will pay both tolls. Total revenue is expected to be €13.2m.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/nra-to-reap-8364184m-each-year-from-toll-roads-2184757.html

Well I'm glad to hear that my initial shock at seeing the €1.90 price up isn't going to happen! A few days latter they had the prices blotted/painted out on the signs - only for macca3000 here said they saw it aswell, I'd think I'd imagined it! Anyone know what happened there - just an error in the price put up?? It was announced on the local radio that the price is going to be €1.30 aswell and that its opening the first week in June.
    shannon82 wrote: »
    Dont think your correct about the R147-thats the Headford/Oristown road. Seen the road number flashing on the diversion sign this morning when I was waiting for the bus to leave kells

I double checked this again on the OSi mapping shannon82 and it is down as the R147 from Pace (the southern toll) through Dunshaughlin, Navan and Kells and almost as far as Lisduff (it ends where the road joins the N3 at the county border) - unless the mapping is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 charlieryan

Meath in the past has always been a loyal Fianna Fail county and subsequently very submissive to all new taxes and charges and this I am afraid is the results, other counties were given 'sweeteners' to gain loyalty and they faired way better than us fools in the royal county...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 taffy1973

Think the price for a van is either 3.40 or 3.80, typical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I for one will completely boycot the new road as i refuse to pay a road toll, us irish are too soft, why do we pay car tax?? and travell to work to pay tax on almost half of our earnings and taxed on petrol? where does it end?

In the greasy paws of bankers of course so they can merrily carry on from where they left of while they should be on the dole.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Definitely €1.30 for the toll, they've removed the grey paint off the toll prices sign at the Pace toll booth and all prices can be seen from the old N3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Wait, there's two feckin tolls on the motorway!?

How did thhey get away with that? Whats their excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

As regards the tolls, anyone going from Dublin to Kells and vice versa daily would be better off using the existing kells-navan road as its a very short length of road and it would avoid paying a toll. Lost time would be minimal. But be warned, speed limit will be reduced to 80kph and guards will be doing speed checks on it as they did on N4 to try catch drivers out and force them onto the new road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

draffodx wrote: »
    Wait, there's two feckin tolls on the motorway!?

How did thhey get away with that? Whats their excuse?

Fianna Fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It gets worse. But thanks to FF and their poxy planning, the on ramps from the M3 all have roundabouts at the top of them. Not filter lanes as you would expect. This will of course will delay traffic on the N3 even more as cars que to get through these roundabouts. Baffoons!

So a journey to Dublin using the N3 will no doubt be noticably longer. I can only assume this was done on purpose as no idiot in their right minds would have done this by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

squod wrote: »
    It gets worse. But thanks to FF and their poxy planning, the on ramps from the M3 all have roundabouts at the top of them. Not filter lanes as you would expect. This will of course will delay traffic on the N3 even more as cars que to get through these roundabouts. Baffoons!

So a journey to Dublin using the N3 will no doubt be noticably longer. I can only assume this was done on purpose as no idiot in their right minds would have done this by design.

Its been awhile since I was out that way but I noticed they were using lots of roundabouts to send traffic on to the M3 and off on to the N3, fairly stupid alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chino38

Can anyone advise what on/off ramps one should take to avoid tolls when travelling from Cavan towards Clonee?

chino38 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise what on/off ramps one should take to avoid tolls when travelling from Cavan towards Clonee?

You would have to get off the motorway at Junction 10 (the Navan side of Kells) to avoid the first toll, then you could travel along the old N3/R147 now, as far as Navan and then rejoin the motorway at Junction 9 or 8 (Navan North or South). You would then have to come off the motorway again at Junction 6 (Dunshaughlin) to avoid the second toll. Its not really worth it to do the motorway from Navan to Dunshaughlin - its just as quick the old way with the reduced traffic volume if not quicker!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chino38

Nice one, thanks for info

Advertisement