Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Hara genealogy

Options
  • 29-09-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello.

I have been trying to find out about the O'Haras in my family tree. Does anyone have knowledge of the O'Hara families in the Sligo area? Does anyone know of a protestant O'Hara family?

Legend has that Charles O'Hara converted to catholism in Boston, MA. He did not name his children in the apparent naming convention. On the marriage certificate he put his father and mother as John and Mary, but the children are not named in such order. His naturalization paper simply states Sligo as his origin.

Several documents have birthdates of 1846. Others have birthdates of 1849.

He is seemly UNRELATED to all of the other O'Hara lines in Boston.

Thanks for any help!

bill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Have you considered the possibility that he wasn't an O'Hara at all?

A lot of people reinvented themselves stepping off the boat - especially if they were running from something.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Bill,

You most definately need to get your hands on a copy of "The Book of O'Hara" available for purchase here http://books.dias.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=139

PM me for more info if required and good luck in your search,

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Some of the Cooper family changed their name to O'Hara (apparently:D!): http://www.coopershill.com/history-2.html

The O'Hara's still live in Annaghmore in Sligo: www.annaghmore.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The 1911 census is online now, if that might help. Be careful though, it's addictive.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

• Registered Users Posts: 40 the_doctor

Xiney wrote: »
    Have you considered the possibility that he wasn't an O'Hara at all?

A lot of people reinvented themselves stepping off the boat - especially if they were running from something.

Just to rock your boat, but most of the other O'Haras in Boston do not seem to be from Sligo, which has the most O'Haras.

Some where even in Boston in the 18th century. I found a town in Illinois that used to be O'Haraville, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

the_doctor wrote: »
    Hello.

I have been trying to find out about the O'Haras in my family tree. Does anyone have knowledge of the O'Hara families in the Sligo area? Does anyone know of a protestant O'Hara family?

Legend has that Charles O'Hara converted to catholism in Boston, MA. He did not name his children in the apparent naming convention. On the marriage certificate he put his father and mother as John and Mary, but the children are not named in such order. His naturalization paper simply states Sligo as his origin.

Several documents have birthdates of 1846. Others have birthdates of 1849.

He is seemly UNRELATED to all of the other O'Hara lines in Boston.

Thanks for any help!

bill

If they were protestants from Sligo they are more than likely part of the old Gaelic family that lived in Annamoe. (The head of the family was known as "The O'Hara" in old Gaelic chieftain fashion.)I believe they may have converted to Protestantism in an effort to keep lands but I am unsure of this. Possibly the Charles who arrived in Boston was a first cousin (or uncle) of the man who gave the Annaghmore estate to his nephew pending the name change from Cooper to O'Hara?

ems_12 wrote: »
    Some of the Cooper family changed their name to O'Hara (apparently:D!): http://www.coopershill.com/history-2.html

The O'Hara's still live in Annaghmore in Sligo: www.annaghmore.com/

T runner wrote: »
    If they were protestants from Sligo they are more than likely part of the old Gaelic family that lived in Annamoe. (The head of the family was known as "The O'Hara" in old Gaelic chieftain fashion.)I believe they may have converted to Protestantism in an effort to keep lands but I am unsure of this. Possibly the Charles who arrived in Boston was a first cousin (or uncle) of the man who gave the Annaghmore estate to his nephew pending the name change from Cooper to O'Hara?

Nice to think I suppose. Are there any records on this family available for review? I have seen their website for the Cooper house rentals, previously. I am already somewhat familiar with the Cooper story.

I would love to find someone with records of their family, whom could tell me that they had an uncle or cousin named Charles O'Hara.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The 1911 census is online now, if that might help. Be careful though, it's addictive.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

As TequilaMockingBird said this is the best website to check. It's very interesting.

magnumlady wrote: »
    As TequilaMockingBird said this is the best website to check. It's very interesting.

Does not offer much value to me. Would like to find information with any local O'Hara's regarding their genealogy. My O'Hara left Sligo prior to the initiation of most record keeping(which started much earlier in other European countries). I have tracked Quigleys to the 1970's with the help of several databases. No luck on the O'Hara.

the_doctor wrote: »
    Does not offer much value to me. Would like to find information with any local O'Hara's regarding their genealogy. My O'Hara left Sligo prior to the initiation of most record keeping(which started much earlier in other European countries). I have tracked Quigleys to the 1970's with the help of several databases. No luck on the O'Hara.

If anyone ever knows something, then please send me a PM?!?

Just trying to keep the word out there.

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement