Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung W880 (12 MP camera, 3x optical zoom & 720p video recording)

• 29-09-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Samsung have just announced they are releasing the Anycall AMOLED 12M (W880) in Korea next month, which offers some of the best features available in a handset. The International GSM version will be reaching our shores as the M8920 at the beginning of 2010, according to GSMArena.

Please see below for some of the W880's specifications:

- 12 MP camera, variable aperture, 3x optical zoom, Xenon and LED flash
    - 720p video recording @ 30fps
    - 3.3-inch WVGA (800 x 480) AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
    - TouchWiz UI
    - 4GB internal memory
    - T-DMB TV tuner (will be replaced by Wi-Fi and GPS in the M8920)
    - 1,100 mAh battery

As the W880 uses Samsung's proprietary TouchWiz OS, it isn't a smartphone, however, Samsung's OS has received rave reviews and appears to run very well.

The lack of handsets that offer a directional pad and keyboard are becoming less and less, so, while the handset only offers a touchscreen, and I generally prefer more dedicated hardware buttons and a keyboard, it looks as if I have no choice but to jump on the touchscreen only band-wagon if I want a handset that has the features I'm looking for.

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

gsmarena_017.jpg

GSMArena have a test W880 and have the below example of its 720p video recording quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's about time phone cameras started competing properly with regular digicams! I hope this gets a release in the west. It should force other phone makers onto the optical-zoom/large aperture/HD video recording bandwagon.

Things are looking up! I would buy this in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Elessar wrote: »
    It's about time phone cameras started competing properly with regular digicams! I hope this gets a release in the west. It should force other phone makers onto the optical-zoom/large aperture/HD video recording bandwagon.

Things are looking up! I would buy this in a heartbeat.

While the W880 is for Korea only, the Western equivalent, the M8920, should be released in the beginning of next year. It shares almost all of the same features, except the T-DMB TV tuner, but includes Wi-Fi and GPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Think it should have a bigger battery, apart from that it looks good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

GSMArena put their preview article of the W880 online tonight.

They summarize their preview of the pre-release W880 as so:
    GSMArena wrote:
    The Samsung W880 AMOLED 12M didn't need an awful long time to convince us that it's the most complete photography tool among the mobile phones. Combining optical zoom with splendid image and video quality has certainly resulted in something way beyond the powers of its competitors.

After reading through the preview, it appears that this handset is going to be the camera-phone to beat. I'm not one to generally use hyperbole, but when this handset is released in Europe, it is going to be the best, most feature-rich camera-phone to ever be launched and every handset released before and after will be compared to it.

To say that I am excited about this handset is an understatement. I will definitely be buying this handset when it's released at the start of next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I was thinking of maybe upgrading my phone again (I tend to do it regularly enough) but I couldnt see a phone that got me interested. This has most definatly changed that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

cooperguy wrote: »
    I was thinking of maybe upgrading my phone again (I tend to do it regularly enough) but I couldnt see a phone that got me interested. This has most definatly changed that!!

Defo .. soon as I seen it online I started a thread .. then I seen this thread :D

It's the first time I have seen a camera phone that, rather than been described as a phone with a built-in camera, it could aptly be described as a camera with a built-in phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

Any idea on the European release date of the m8920?
    And prices?

Goin90 wrote: »
    Any idea on the European release date of the m8920?
    And prices?

I haven't read a single thing about this handset since I last posted, even thought MWC took place last week. I'm hoping Samsung release some information soon, as I'm eagerly anticipating its release. With that said, they might be waiting some time since releasing information on the Samsung Wave, Beam and the Bada OS before letting us all bask in the glory of a 12 MP camera with 3x optical zoom, Xenon and LED flash and 720p recording. ;)

Advertisement