Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fighting Game on Xbox 360

• 29-09-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭

I want to get a fighting game for my 360 but what's the best? I was going to get Soul Calibur but then I thought that Street Fighter IV might be better.

I have no online play so what would be best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lemlin wrote: »
    I want to get a fighting game for my 360 but what's the best? I was going to get Soul Calibur but then I thought that Street Fighter IV might be better.

I have no online play so what would be best?

If you can't play online then it's down to what will your mates be more willing to play offline, Street Fighter or Soul Calibur?

If they're not big into fighting games, then I'd recommend Soul Calibur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

SF4 for me, by a long way!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SF4 as well for me. Even playing casually and not taking it seriousi t's a far better game than soul calibur 4 which is slow and a pale shadow of it's former DC days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

If you going to be playing just single player do not get sf4. Its single player is brutal.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SF4 as well for me. Even playing casually and not taking it seriousi t's a far better game than soul calibur 4 which is slow and a pale shadow of it's former DC days.

You can not know what you are doing at all, but still put together move strings and things that look cool in Soul Calibur (and Tekken), but you can not do that in Street Fighter.

If it's mainly going to be played by non-fighting game players, then a 3D fighter (that isn't Virtua Fighter) is the best option.

Also the Soul series has always had good single player modes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Would I be best off waiting for Tekken 6?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say no, but then again I've no love for Tekken. You'll probably find SFIV for peanuts now anyway so it's not like it's a massive waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

If you've played street fighter before and enjoyed it, then deffo SF4. If not.... well I can't advise you cause the only fighting game I like is the Street Fighter series :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bush wrote: »
    Its single player is brutal.
    harsh, just a tad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Single player seems pointless to me on all fighting games tbh. Once you've had the taste of proper fights against people that know how to play anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Now I know this wont go down well here, but I'd love to see them create a story mode akin to Mortal Kombat Deception - If I remember correctly Konquest was a kind of training mode that let you develop your charactes abilities while giving you a backround history of the fighter in question, as the levels progressed you obtained new moves etc. Now it was terrible don't get me wrong the stories were weak and the endless running around looking for people infuriating, but the idea was solid and could be developed easily within the SF genre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

If you're not big into fighters or wouldn't define yourself as a serious gamer, SF wouldn't really be your kind of game as it has a complex fighting system. Best game I can think of that would be easy to get into I'd imagine is Dead or Alive 4. In my opinion, Soul Calibur IV has a pretty advanced fighting system. If you want a ridiculously hard game to master, play Virtua Fighter 5.

Best single player for a fighter that I've enjoyed is Soul Calibur.

In terms of a storyline mode for a fighter,
    for me, SF could never be a game like MK in terms of storyline. There were never joke characters in the MK series (bar MK vs. DC universe). Every character in MK had a proper background story to them. I'd agree that the story went ridiculous after MK4.

But the problem with SF is that you have characters like Gief, Dan, El Fuerte and Rufus. The list goes on and on really. I always found the SF films to be really cheesy with the exception of maybe Alpha Generations which was pretty good.

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Now I know this wont go down well here, but I'd love to see them create a story mode akin to Mortal Kombat Deception - If I remember correctly Konquest was a kind of training mode that let you develop your charactes abilities while giving you a backround history of the fighter in question, as the levels progressed you obtained new moves etc. Now it was terrible don't get me wrong the stories were weak and the endless running around looking for people infuriating, but the idea was solid and could be developed easily within the SF genre!!

Sounds like World Tour Mode that was in the home versions of Alpha 3.

Advertisement