Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol grip shotgun stocks

Options
  • 29-09-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

I have a question, at what point does a thumbhole stock become a pistol grip?
    I am specifically referring to the Remington Shurshot stock, which has a bit of a Dragunov look to it.
    The guidelines say that a prominent pistol grip makes a shotgun more dangerous and no more effective:rolleyes:
    The Shurshot would seem to be OK or am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It really is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but to be fair, if anything was walking up to the line and planting one foot either side of it, it'd be this:
    Shurshotstockblack.jpg

I mean, that hole's a lot bigger than your thumb...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Good question,and it shows that the powers that be should stop watching Hollywood spectulars for their firearm info.:rolleyes:

Seeing there are no definations of a thumbhole stock here ,or mention of it in the law or guidelines The US definition will have to surfice....If the stock is all One Piece incorporating the pistol grip,it is a thumbhole ..So it has to have that lower connecting bit from the base of the stock to the base of the pistol grip..So if it has that filler area, or connecting "bar"it is a thumbhole stock. Yes the Dragunov stock is classified as a thumbhole in the US.Hence the reason many "mini dragunovs" started to appear in CA ..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

you lot be careful with those pistol grip stocks , they're DANGEROUS !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rowa wrote: »

No I believe the wording was MORE dangerous, and no more effective.
    Which is completely and utterly wrong.
    Anyone who has shot magnum 3"+ out of a 12g can attest the differnce between a pistol grip and a straight stock in felt recoil and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

rowa wrote: »

Yeah, I hear they are fec***' lethal yokes alright. Massive range outta them lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

BleickerFree.jpg
    Bleiker ISSF 300m Free Rifle

http://www.bleiker.ch/Sport-News_65.html

can the issf lads use the 300m free rifle, is it too dangerous with their open grips.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

And that probably qualifies as a 'folding stock' too - very naughty

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Bananaman wrote: »

B'Man

.22 olympic rifles as well:rolleyes: will the irish be competing 2012 :confused:

http://www.bleiker.ch/article_65.html&sid=51

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    .22 olympic rifles as well:rolleyes: will the irish be competing 2012 :confused:

http://www.bleiker.ch/article_65.html&sid=51

Hopefully, aye. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

B'Man
    Only if it belongs to Sparks :p

dsc00550a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And that probably qualifies as a 'folding stock' too
    It did - that's why the SI specifically talks about shotguns. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Seeing there are no definations of a thumbhole stock here ,or mention of it in the law or guidelines The US definition will have to surfice....If the stock is all One Piece incorporating the pistol grip,it is a thumbhole ..So it has to have that lower connecting bit from the base of the stock to the base of the pistol grip..So if it has that filler area, or connecting "bar"it is a thumbhole stock.

If the S.I. were to say 'Pistol grips are banned except if they are incorporated into a thumbhole stock' you may have an argument, but it doesn't. The definition you provide specifically says it has a pistol grip. That's as far as you need go.

California's a little more specific:
    Pistol grip: "Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" means a grip that allows for a pistol-syle grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing"

Thumbhole Stock: "A stock with a hole that allows the thumb of the trigger hand to penetrate through or into the stock while firing" (Pretty obvious, really).
    Yes the Dragunov stock is classified as a thumbhole in the US.Hence the reason many "mini dragunovs" started to appear in CA ..

Can't say I've heard of one. Dragunovs I've seen in CA either have the hole filled in, or the magazine fixed with a bullet-button.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    quote=Manic Moran;62380864]If the S.I. were to say 'Pistol grips are banned except if they are incorporated into a thumbhole stock' you may have an argument, but it doesn't. The definition you provide specifically says it has a pistol grip. That's as far as you need go.

Well, they are not banned here for a start,just restricted,which is irrevelant anyway,if you have a restricted firearm you can hang anything you want on it in the 1st place.

Can't say I've heard of one. Dragunovs I've seen in CA either have the hole filled in, or the magazine fixed with a bullet-button.

Okay proably CA has changed and become more anally retentative....again :( since I lived there and bought my MAK 90.Which was the CA"approved" model without flash hider,cleaning rod/bayonet attachment. It had the Fiberforce Dragunov style stock and the capability for high cap mags,and at the time the gunstores couldnt keep them in a stock.Glad I moved then to Phoenix...:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement