Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iv come up with a good idea for my local charity

Options
  • 29-09-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Im a member of the LSPCA, were sort of a small branch off the ISPCA, but we are all volenteers, we have a small shop that is barely making money, but ever penny we get goes to the animals. We help people who cant afford to neuter there animals by paying half, we also rehome alot of animals, mostly kittens, our only holding place is our local vet, he charges us to hold the animals and to feed the animals, this costs us most months €3000.00. and on top of that rent ect... We sell raffle tickets at christmas, and currently were selling a few calenders, but apart from that we dont do much fund raising coz alot of the women are older and not able.

So my idea is this, I thought if i could get the public (you and Others) to give €1.00 each (yes only €1.00) Its not much, Most people can afford that. and if i got 500 people to give one euro, thats 500 euro towards the animals.

Would any of you be willing to help? Or do you think this is a bad idea?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

So you're a charity and you're looking for public donations?

Are you setting up something, like a fun day where people can bring their animals etc, and raise funds that way? If you're looking to specifically ask people of this forum to give you money as a donation - this will be deleted as we can't allow such threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

ok well maybe i could just get peoples opinion on the idea??

NO MONEY WANTED :)

and i wouldnt know where to start with family days, if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great..

That's fine :) (sorry I didn't mean to be harsh but we aren't allowed to have people looking for funding)

I would suggest something of a fun day out, see what ye can round up/organise, if you have any friends who do face painting, or games for children etc, get an area and maybe a bake sale too? and animals obviously invited!

you weren't been harsh at all. i can see where your coming from... i mite have to over rule the oldies in the charity n try a family day...

You should!

And if you advertise / try and get family and friends involved in maybe activities or baking etc, it might be even better. Or if you can contact the council and see if you can organise a car boot sale with it, and some of the proceeds to your charity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Hi im involved with my local shelter aswel. It was once jokingly suggested to us that we do a calender girls type calender using kittens and dogs instead of buns, for anybody that hasn't seen the film its basically a bunch of older women that decide to pose naked for a calender, we didn't have the guts to do it but I reckon if somebody did have the guts to do it it would raise quite a bit of money and publicity for the shelter!!!!:D

Bagpacking is also a good way of raising money but in some places it has to be booked nearly a year in advance, but you could be lucky and get a cancelation. A simple raffle for a hamper and other prizes, and of course a stall with info and animals for adoption, set up in a busy area of town does raise quite a good bit if its ran over say 2 or 3 days. It might also be worth looking into sending around flyers with direct debit details in local papers and in other busy places for even as you said 1 or 2 euro, it all adds up at the end of the day!!

Hi dee, i love that film, i would be up for sumit like that no probs but theres not to many others that would... we do a raffel every year at christmas, i usually guilt people into buying the tickets, people are not that keen...

But a good thing happened the other day, a few months ago my boss came to me with poems she had written years ago about the society and about different rescues they had done, she asked me to type them out nice so i made a book with them and added pictures... then one of the guys in the society had a look at the book and decided to bring it to the local paper, they really liked it and my boss has an interview with the paper tomorrow, so were going to get the ball rolling and get it printed properly and sell it, all proceeds to the charity. and the piece in the paper should boost the shop aswell.. so fingers crossed that makes us a few pound coz if theres nothing done soon the shops gonna have to close :(

Im also thinking about holding a little dog show, nice family day out where the kids can bring there doggies, or anyone really who wants to.

anyway thanks for your reply and good ideas, and i mite look into the calender thing, my cousin is a model, maybe some of her model friends my do the posing... its worth a shot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are you a registered charity with the Revenue?

Bond-007 wrote: »

i would imagine we are but i dont ask questions like that, i leave the accounts and that sort of stuff to the experenced ones.. im more interest in getting in money and rehoming the little babies... why do you ask?

I ask as a concerned citizen. I shall make some enquiries on Monday.

As said fundraising here is forbidden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Bond-007 wrote: »

They are, their website's here and their charity number is on the front page.

No bother. Forum rules still apply.

If you could just take the time to read through the posts, you will see im not fundraising here, am looking for ideas.. is that against the rules???

and the post by iguana is wrong... we are Longford SPCA and our address is Market Square Longford.

Bond i hope your really embarrassed when you find out the we are infact a real charity. if i wanted to steal money from people i wouldnt do it so openly on the internet, id just rob a house or something.

Embarrassed? I think not nor care not.

As a private citizen I have every right to examine the financial affairs of any registered charity. I feel a duty to check out the credentials of any organisation that comes on here claiming status as a charity.

I do not and will not apologise for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

The naked calendar thing was done in Spain last year and it was a flop. The calendar was titled “the Benalmadena babes” and it did not sell. Some of the people who would normally sell it didnt because they didnt want to be involved with it.

Events raise money. The charity I am involved with run social nights, poker nights, dog shows, golf, etc. We are currently involved in a Saturday market and have started merchandising, t-shirts, keyrings etc.

Lots of work but it works better than just asking for donations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Locking this thread & taking this matter under advisement with the bosses.

It will be opened again or deleted depending on their decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement