Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Embarrassed to take photos in public...

• 29-09-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

This may sound a bit stupid but does anyone else feel embarrassed about stopping to take photos in public? I live in Carlow and there's a lot of idiotic people around here that can't mind their own business. If you stopped in the middle of the street to take a photo of a passing bird or something you'd get stared at or have abuse shouted at you.

I used to take walks by the river and would photo the swans and ducks. One day while I was doing this two idiots drove past me and shouted "HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN A SWAN BEFORE" and then shouted "IT'S ILLEGAL TO TAKE PHOTOS OF SWANS". Over the course of a few months I did manage to get some good photos but I would always quickly put my camera back in my pocket anytime someone walked or drove past. Ever since I saw a swan badly injured I don't take walks by the river anymore. Now I'd be even more self conscious about taking out my camera in busier parts of the town. For the last couple of weeks I've been carrying my camera with me when I go out but I never really get the opportunity to photograph anything.

Like I said, this may sound stupid but I'm just wondering if anyone else feels self conscious about taking photos in public. I've got a pretty expensive camera and I feel it's going to waste.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'd be more inclined to take photos of the ****wits shouting abuse at me if its as bad as it sounds!

Seriously though, everyone goes through stages where they feel awkward or uncomfortable to take shots in certain situations, its normal.
    You have to keep doing it though, why should you let a bunch of morons stop you from doing something you enjoy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I don't really do people picts (street photography) because I don't feel comfortable doing it.

But, I'd have no problems taking picts of birds/wildlife in any park. I've often gone to the Botanic Gardens or Phoenix Park to take picts.

As for the muppets shouting at you, ignore them. Get a good MP3 player or something, so you don't even hear them. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I havent really been brave enough to take many pics outside of the comfort of a half empty League of Ireland ground :D

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I wouldnt be put off by the gobbies, try and go out with a like minded
    fellow photographer it is much easier to relax and enjoy your time with
    the camera with someone else there, be it to watch your back while you
    are concentrating or just to share the experience, why not join a camera
    club and get involved in the club events, you will soon be out there shooting
    and enjoying it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I can understand where you're coming from OP. I wouldn't be comfortable taking photos on the street or of people I don't know but like PaulW I'd have no problem taking photos of wildlife or scenery etc.

As suggested is there a local club you can join? You'll feel much more comofrtable heading out with like minded folk and most likely you'll get to the stage where you have no inhibitions about what or who you take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Sell the Canon and Buy a Nikon!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You could try going to a larger town where no one knows you. A day out in a place like Dublin or Kilkenny would afford you the anonimity to try and find your comfort zone in peace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'd be the same as Paulw as well. I just don't feel comfortable pointing the camera at someone on the street so don't so it at all. Which I find a little annoying to be honest as I'd like to be able to do it but unfortunately shyness gets the better of me!

I also found at the beginning when doing landscapes that I would arrive at a place I wanted to take photos of but if there were other people around then I would just drive away again! Sounds sad I know. I'm not as bad now (1 year later) but I still have my moments where I will just drive away if there are lots of people around. I don't know why I do this and it really bugs me sometimes.

Also I've done a few weddings and I'm no good at ordering people around and get embarrased easily so I've recently resigned from the wedding business until further notice as it's just not for me at the moment :)
    So you really are not alone here. The shyness and embarrasment does go away although it can do so very very slowly unfortunately. :(

And as for the knobs shouting at you, well to be fair they can't be dining too far up on the intelligence table so there is nothing you can do about clowns like this bar grow a thick skin and ignore them. The iPod idea sounds good above.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

I used to take walks by the river and would photo the swans and ducks. One day while I was doing this two idiots drove past me and shouted "HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN A SWAN BEFORE" and then shouted "IT'S ILLEGAL TO TAKE PHOTOS OF SWANS".

I'm not too confident about taking photos in public but I was on the Cork Photowalk last weekend (only my 2nd) and I'm gradually getting more comfortable with it. Anyway, photowalks are great because you'll feel safer and look like less of a freak surrounded by 10 other togs all taking photos of seemingly mundane things.

Incidentally, I'd wandered off from the rest of the group and was taking pictures of the port when some under-evolved yob walked past and said "IT'S ILLEGAL TO TAKE PHOTOS OF THE PORT". I didn't respond because it would have been inviting trouble... though I seriously wanted to ask him if he was the harbourmaster :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Everyone has a DSLR these days. The likelihood is that there'll be someone else in close proximity taking shots. If they're not put-out, why should you be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really interested in taking photos of people, I'm more interested in animals and nature. I've often thought about taking a photo of a bird in a tree or something but I always think anyone that's passing by is going to start shouting abuse at me.

I'll probably start taking more photos soon and ignore anyone that looks at me or says anything. A camera club is a good idea. I might look into it and see if there's any in Carlow. :)

Sell the Canon and Buy a Nikon!

I've got a Sony Cybershot. I don't know enough about photography to know if that's considered cool or uncool but it takes pretty decent pictures. Here's two I took a few months back that I think came out fairly alright. :)

DB6078381F0341EE8DE68CE19C330824-800.jpg

90F0BD54260C45A982BCF222B5BB77A8-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I got embarrassed the very first day I took my camera out because I didn't know what I was doing. Took that much longer to set shots up right that I must have looked like one of those frozen dudes on grafton street :pac:

I can't imagine letting strangers that you'll never see again dictate when you can use your camera though. Most people either don't notice you or don't bat an eye. As for the dregs of society that might shout abuse, well, just laugh at how bleak and pathetic their lives are to find amusement in such things.

As for ordering people about when you're photographing them, if you just look like you know what you're doing then people will jump through hoops for you. People LOVE having their photo taken, if you feed them a bit of charisma they'll return it tenfold and you'll get this cool rebound effect and have a great time. You'll also get much better pictures and a sore face from smiling. Win-win?

But the only way you'll get over that shyness is to just get out there and shoot. No amount of reading or advice is gonna do it. If you're shy about people around you, you're obviously not concentrating enough on capturing the moment and you're not going to get good photos.

Good photos -> Happy photographer -> A few people see someone taking a photo
    vs
    No photos -> Sad photographer-> A few people see something else, a bird or a crisp wrapper

You decide!

That was rambley :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

There are their fair share of planks around Carlow alright and you do get the odd funny look. :confused:

I suppose some people don't realise that there are actually some things around that are worth taking pictures of.

A few shots from a recent photowalk from Aldi down along the Burrin to the castle.

kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have no problem taking photos in public or directing people etc however i do not feel comfortable taking photos of people who i am not working with / for, i.e.e strangers in the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i do feel kinda silly taking photos too. but i find it really relaxing for some reason but when some ejit starts i get fed up and leave.

i was on bettystown beach one day when 2 young lads come up and start hurling rocks into the water beside me ...... and then ask me have i nothing better to do.

( i thought this was rich coming from 2 lads throwing stones into the water to annoy people)

anyway i would love to take more pictures in different areas but sometimes feel like a fool.

anyway i am off out tonight to take some pics. feck them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I can understand where you're coming from OP. I wouldn't be comfortable taking photos on the street or of people I don't know but like PaulW I'd have no problem taking photos of wildlife or scenery etc.

Me too... feels a bit intrusive to take photos of people without asking them first. And if you ask them first, then you lose the spontaneity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

nagero wrote: »
    There are their fair share of planks around Carlow alright and you do get the odd funny look. :confused:

I suppose some people don't realise that there are actually some things around that are worth taking pictures of.

A few shots from a recent photowalk from Aldi down along the Burrin to the castle.

kevin

Nice photos. You made Carlow look like it's a nice place (which I suppose it is if you focus on the right parts of the town). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Just take it as a bit of banter, 9/10 people are just out for a good time. If they're real a55holes then that's their problem, why let anyone diminish your quality of life. The clock is ticking to your death, now is your time, live your life and f the begrudgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I'm from carlow and i have to say i've never encountered idiots like you have in carlow, i do tend to traverse around the county every weekend taking snaps but i've yet to have abuse hurled at me and trust me i take photo's of the most obscure mundane things ever that seem to be in abundance in carlow:)

I do feel a sense of pity for you OP that you are being victimised by one bad experience not to go out and use your camera more. If it were me it would only push me on further to photograph more and capture all the non idiotic things that carlow is home to.

Have you ever attemped to go on a photo walk in carlow.
    When i was mod in the carlow forum i set up a photo thread for the county and alongside myself there are many there who would be willing to have a photowalk around carlow at some stage. Maybe you would have a better chance at regaining your confidence if you traversed the town with a few others who want to do the same thing? It's just an idea

Anyways long story short, i think you should tackle this problem head on.
    Ask those who have time to take a photowalk with you, i've proposed it to a few in the carlow forum before, but time constraints didn't allow them to. If i get any free time in the upcoming month i'll drop you a pm if you would like and mabe you could regain your confidence on a photowalk with me?

Hope that helps.
    Don't be afraid to keep snapping.
    Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

watch bruce gilden. He walks around new york with a 28mm lens and flash taking pitcures of strangers. Most people dont even realise he's taken their picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I recently took picture at the Matthew street festival in Liverpool and posted them in the photgraphy thread but I have noticed that about 9 have being removed by photobucket some with the public in them .I can only put this down to a security issue ie , important buildings in the background but others have being left with the public in them , no bother .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

gerk86 wrote: »
    watch bruce gilden. He walks around new york with a 28mm lens and flash taking pitcures of strangers. Most people dont even realise he's taken their picture.

I notice he seems to pick people who are unlikely to kick his ass :)

I can imagine doing this in Dublin, I'd be fishing my camera out of the Liffey.

And if I tried it down home they'd be shrieking about their souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The only time I feel uneasy is when I'm using a tripod, it just seems to attract attention. Funnily enough one night I was taking long exposures on top of Dundrum Bridge and the cars passing beneath suddenly slowed when they spotted me, as though I was a garda with a speed gun :D

I don't/haven't really began taking pictures of people on the street, however from what I've read it's merely a case of blending in with the surroundings and not really drawing attention to yourself.

When abroad with my camera I didn't notice anyone noticing that I was taking pics, however in Dublin when I've the camera I feel like people's eyes are locked on it for some reason and makes me feel less secure about having it out. I suppose that speaks volumes about the cities here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Depends: If it is for my lonesome self, I tend to be off in the middle of a forest or desert anyways. If it is paid work, daddy wants to bring home the bacon, so he will get in your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Completely understandable OP. Relax, it's not just you - comes up from time to time on the forum and I gather by the swell of understanding on this thread that you most definitely aren't alone. I think it will only wear off the more you get out there and do it so make plans for the weekend and get out there and do it.

I had good fun recently on Grafton Street. I shot with two SLR's (film/digital) so yeah I felt a real plonker particularly when they started to get in the way of each other :D Digital had a 300mm lens which kept me well away from things. I positioned myself in a number of places (side of the street as well as at street furniture) and shot from long range - easy peasy.

The second was a film SLR with a 35mm lens. With this I framed whatever scene I was after and if I spotted someone from a distance that I thought might be cool to capture, I just raised the film SLR/35mm to my eye well in advance and held it there, allowed them approach, snapped and kept the camera to my eye until they moved a little past. I certainly didn't engage anyone walking by so perhaps it wasn't real street photography but heck it was a whole lot of fun.

Only answer - get out and do it. Easier said than done but you have to make the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

I am just the same with shyness but when i was in dun laoghaire 2 weeks ago with my brother who just got his first slr was even worse than me untill i kept telling him...so what.. we take pictures at parties all the time what makes this different ... Nothing.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    if I spotted someone from a distance that I thought might be cool to capture, I just raised the film SLR/35mm to my eye well in advance and held it there, allowed them approach, snapped and kept the camera to my eye until they moved a little past.

Now that is a tactic that i could use to take pictures like that.
    It tid-bits of information/ideas like this that make this forum and its members extremely helpful.

Cheers AnCatDubh for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Martron wrote: »
    i was on bettystown beach one day when 2 young lads come up and start hurling rocks into the water beside me ...... and then ask me have i nothing better to do.
    ( i thought this was rich coming from 2 lads throwing stones into the water to annoy people)

That's pretty damn ironic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Silverfish wrote: »
    I can imagine doing this in Dublin, I'd be fishing my camera out of the Liffey.

That's not true. You wouldn't be fishing it out. You'd be in the Liffey with it and able to collect the pieces by hand.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Ive often taken pics of people in the street that i thought were interesting and if they catch me or start looking at me funny, I usually look into their background when taking the camera down from my face and they think you weren't even snapping them., :D

I don't really care what people think when I'm snapping stuff though, if you want to take pics of swans or rivers etc and someone feels the need to give their opinion, Dont even give them the luxury of your attention. Do what your doing and take no notice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

May sound like a contradiction, but an English photographer by the name of Stephen Gill says that wearing a hi-viz jacket helps, as people assume you're a council worker or a builder and tend to ignore you. I've heard other photographers mention it too, been meaning to try it out myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

So, make yourself more visible and you fade into the background!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

OP: I can see your problem if its a small town people you know are everywhere if you have a car you could go to the next town over and shoot there.

or maybe take up macro photography you could do that a home.

You could become one of those obsessive shut-ins that makes tiny models of houses and then photograph them :D.

or maybe just find a photography club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Good topic. There are a few people I would like to photograph around my area, Elderly people who I think have interesting faces but I dont feel comfortable to just ask them. Old farmers, that type of shot.

In London last week end I tried a few but not happy with the results I got. I feel I should have slowed down or even asked them. I did feel quite at ease taaking the shots but looking back a litle thought. And I didnt give a fcuk what people thought of me where as locally some I think would look on it with suspicion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

May sound like a contradiction, but an English photographer by the name of Stephen Gill says that wearing a hi-viz jacket helps, as people assume you're a council worker or a builder and tend to ignore you. I've heard other photographers mention it too, been meaning to try it out myself.

i heard a of a few photographers that do this and i believe it works.
    not the same but its how banksy got away doing some of his work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

In an interesting documentary earlier, monozygotic twins were made to hold their hands in ice water as long as they could bear it. Most lasted similar times as predicted but in one case one twin lasted way longer, he'd been trained to witstand cold for Arctic missions.

The relevance here is that even if your genes predispose you to shyness, that can be radically countered with conditioning. If it were me I'd look at a night course in assertiveness, the payback won't be limited to photography but enhance many aspects of life. Worth a shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

I know how you feel. Even in Dublin people stare trying to figure out what interests you so much. Other people don't see the world as photographers do and we tend to spook them for some reason. Ignore them. Let them stare, smile at them if they say something rude. Concentrate on improving your photography skills, that's what counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I think it's more trouble if you upgrade to a DSLR,At least with a compact you can easily take it out of your pocket and put it back in,With a DSLR you have to either leave it round your neck(which I myself wouldn't do in any towns or leave it in your bag and then take it out when you want to get a photo,Both options are very awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I know how you feel. Even in Dublin people stare trying to figure out what interests you so much. Other people don't see the world as photographers do and we tend to spook them for some reason. Ignore them. Let them stare, smile at them if they say something rude. Concentrate on improving your photography skills, that's what counts.

Staring is a cultural issue. In cities there are so many different nationalities it's fun to guess where a person may be from by their facial expressions. English people hate being stared at, while French people never seem to avert their gaze.

It makes for some good photos...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I think it's more trouble if you upgrade to a DSLR,At least with a compact you can easily take it out of your pocket and put it back in,With a DSLR you have to either leave it round your neck(which I myself wouldn't do in any towns or leave it in your bag and then take it out when you want to get a photo,Both options are very awkward.

If you have a strap, sling it around your shoulder and have the camera tucked behind your elbow when you're walking. It's secure, inconspicuous and quick to get to your eye.

I agree that having it around your neck broadcasts you to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

I don't feel comfortable taking photographs on the street either. Part shyness, part security issue. (see Liffey reference above!)

I hadn't considered the Hi-Viz jacket approach but it is very interesting. When you see someone in Hi-Viz gear, I think you do 3 things.

1, register them instantly just as quickly
    2, assume they are legitimate and have bona fides reasons for being there and doing whatever they're doing and
    3, ignore them.

Hide in Plain Sight. Great idea! Must try it sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Just turn on your ipod as you take pictures, i often do that, not because of that kind of abuse but because i like it, so then they can shout as much as they want ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

what he did to the old lady was a disgrace..Someone did that to me ..I'd kick his ass.
    Basically he looks a complete a55hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I dont know what it is about Ireland but a lot of people are nosy fuc*ers and cant help shouting things, I dont have any problems taking shots of people out and about and I have been shouted at, but on the other hand I mind a friends Dog and when I bring her out for a walk and she has a slash, people shout at me saying its illegal/pick it up (I cant its piss)/I will report you and so on, I usually retort in the abusive. So I wouldnt worry some people including in-breds cant help but shout stuff at other people, dont blame them. Its just because they are missing a chromosone or three..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Berkut wrote: »
    what he did to the old lady was a disgrace..Someone did that to me ..I'd kick his ass.
    Basically he looks a complete a55hole.

Agreed, well kicked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Borderfox wrote: »
    .... I usually retort in the abusive. ..

nicely worded:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

He's a f*cking muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I'm the same, always feel like a bit of a pleb taking photos, and the closer I am to home, the worse it is. I am half thinking of joining Sligo Camera club to grow me a pair, but I'm too shy for that too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im never embarrassed to take photos in public.. but taking photos of people is whats getting me.. I can't seem to like just do it! Lately though ive just had the camera in my hand nearly all the time walking around to get use to it.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Same here, I have no problems taking photos in public, its taking photos of the public where the problem lies! I have to agree about tripods too, I was taking night photos in Kilkenny several months back with my trusty tripod, and I got all sorts of weirdos staring at me and asking me questions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement